The Student Room Group

Which A-Level subject to pick?

I am at Sixth Form doing Maths, Computing and Further Maths. I don't really enjoy Further Maths and am thinking of switching it for something else. I'm thinking between Economics (somewhat enjoy the subject, would be easier for me) and Sociology (enjoy the subject, but may be harder). I am planning to enter a career in data science (perhaps through Computer Science at university/apprenticeship), which A-Level would be best? Which would open more opportunities up?

If there's another option I should consider (that's not FM or Physics), it would be really helpful if you could mention it :smile:
Thanks!
HEYY!!! Chemistry could be useful. . . I've just started it and it's super interesting :smile:

You should also maybe consider trying out a new subject whilst still doing Further Maths to see how it goes. I'm doing Chemistry, Physics, Maths and FM Maths and the balance is just right - the chem breaks up all of the hard core maths lol and the work load is totally fine.

Hope this helps and good luck!!
Original post by Albinary
I am at Sixth Form doing Maths, Computing and Further Maths. I don't really enjoy Further Maths and am thinking of switching it for something else. I'm thinking between Economics (somewhat enjoy the subject, would be easier for me) and Sociology (enjoy the subject, but may be harder). I am planning to enter a career in data science (perhaps through Computer Science at university/apprenticeship), which A-Level would be best? Which would open more opportunities up?

If there's another option I should consider (that's not FM or Physics), it would be really helpful if you could mention it :smile:
Thanks!

If you want to do data science your current A-Levels are perfect. Chemistry may not be the best idea if you don't enjoy it since it is pretty hard to revise for if you don't like it.

Thanks!

I'd suggest giving further maths a try. During my A levels many people were skeptical but upon doing the actual course they found that it was manageable with consistent effort and that they were actually psyching themselves out.

Thanks!

Heya!
For CS courses you typically need Maths e.g. UCL CS course and having FM might be giving you an advantage over the competitors (though it's not necessarily stated on the website). If you really don't enjoy FM then do consider switching. I really enjoyed economics ( i did maths, chem and bio) and found having economics to be very refreshing. Economics degrees usually just require maths so you don't really need economics but it'll be a good intro if it's something you want to do in the future. :h: You do studies on micro and macro markets and it's not too difficult if you do enough essays Unfortunately I haven't done sociology so can't say much about it.

I hope this helps!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Do you want to throw an essay based subject in the mix? If you are after an easier option, you could try Media, which is easier to relate to Computing than Sociology/Economics and is an easier option without formal essay writing.
But FM with D1 seems like a good choice for a Computer based course.
Data Science - https://bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2023/maths/bsc-data-science/ - A*AA including A* in Mathematics and A in Further Maths or another mathematics-related subject
Data Science - https://www.ntu.ac.uk/course/science-and-technology/ug/bsc-hons-data-science - 120 UCAS points including A level Maths
Economics with Data Science - https://www.southampton.ac.uk/courses/economics-with-data-science-degree-bsc - AAA or AABB including Mathematics (grade A) or AAB or ABBB including Mathematics (grade A) and Further Mathematics (grade B)
Finance and Data Analytics - https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/courses/2023/finance-and-data-analytics-bsc-hons - AAB with GCSE Maths grde 6
Computer Science (Data Science) - https://www.gre.ac.uk/undergraduate-courses/engsci/computer-science-data-science-bsc-hons - 112 UCAS points from A-Levels
Computer Science and Maths - https://www.york.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/bsc-computer-science-mathematics/ - AAA including Mathematics

Thanks!

Economics may be the more relevant subject of the 2.
But check the courses on a couple of unis websites to see which (if any) subjects they specify.

Quick Reply

Latest