The Student Room Group

Rate of reaction graph

Anyone who is doing edexcel nuffield chemistry knows how incredibly hard that is, and atm im doing coursework for it.

When reacting magnesium and HCl and magnesium with ethanoic acid, Im trying to find the activation energy by changing the temperature of each

But I dont know whether the line of best fit is a curve or a straight line. The results I have kinda show that the line could be drawn either way, but the results are leaning more to the straight line

Technically it should be a curve because as the temperature hits 0 degrees, the reaction still should go on...just really really slowly...right? Or is it that there is a point in which the reaction just stops?

Thanks so much! Would appreciate any help
Reply 1
I'd have thought that the line always has to be a curve...

I can't help on the rest, sorry.
Reply 2
stargirl63
Anyone who is doing edexcel nuffield chemistry knows how incredibly hard that is, and atm im doing coursework for it.

When reacting magnesium and HCl and magnesium with ethanoic acid, Im trying to find the activation energy by changing the temperature of each

But I dont know whether the line of best fit is a curve or a straight line. The results I have kinda show that the line could be drawn either way, but the results are leaning more to the straight line

Technically it should be a curve because as the temperature hits 0 degrees, the reaction still should go on...just really really slowly...right? Or is it that there is a point in which the reaction just stops?

Thanks so much! Would appreciate any help

I would suggest it is going to be an increase, and have you heard of a statement, rate of reaction doubles when you increase temperature by 10 degree celsius or kelvin, but i am not sure if it is applicable here. Suppose that is true, then you are not going to get a straight line, are you?

Latest