Turn on thread page Beta

Ease of getting a job? Curious watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've seen on quite a few threads on here (including one today) that people claim that 'it's not easy to get a job' or that they 'can't get a job. Not for lack of trying'.
    Now, for as long as I've been able to work, I've essentially walked into jobs. Plenty have come to me; and those that I apply for I'm able to get without trouble, so I'm curious as to how people struggle to find work?
    Just thought I'd start this thread up so I could hear stories of people's hunts for jobs...I'm just interested as to what causes people to struggle?

ReputationRep:
    I had been looking and looking for over a year (and i mean REALLY LOOKING)
    Finally have one now, but it depends where you are!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaz_jaz)
    I had been looking and looking for over a year (and i mean REALLY LOOKING)
    Finally have one now, but it depends where you are!
    So you just think it's just location? What about it exactly? I've lived in a small village and in a city (albeit not a large one), so perhaps it's not size?
    Sorry if I'm sounding dense, it's just something that's confused me in a number of threads lately.

ReputationRep:
    The problem is that many places want experience, and experience can only be gained through working. So somebody who has always been employed will find it easier to get a job than someone who never has.

Factor that in with the current downturn meaning companies are very reluctant to employ people unless it is necessary especially in retail. So all in all it isn't really that surprising.

ReputationRep:
    Don't get me started! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ed.)
    The problem is that many places want experience, and experience can only be gained through working. So somebody who has always been employed will find it easier to get a job than someone who never has.

Factor that in with the current downturn meaning companies are very reluctant to employ people unless it is necessary especially in retail. So all in all it isn't really that surprising.
    But even someone who's 'always been employed' had to get that initial job?

ReputationRep:
    it's like impossible
    ive handed out 15 cv's in glasgow, been phoned back about one of them,went for an interview n don't think i got it. it was about 3 weeks ago but they never phoned back so lol.

been for a few interviews before that aswell.

so, for me, there is no ease in gettin a job :|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    But even someone who's 'always been employed' had to get that initial job?
    Yeah of course, but what I'm saying is that once you have a job getting another one is easier. So once the first hurdle is reached the second is much easier. Getting the first job will hinge on prevailing conditions (you would have been getting first jobs in an economic boom period) which now aren't good. Secondly luck is of course a factor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ed.)
    Yeah of course, but what I'm saying is that once you have a job getting another one is easier. So once the first hurdle is reached the second is much easier. Getting the first job will hinge on prevailing conditions (you would have been getting first jobs in an economic boom period) which now aren't good. Secondly luck is of course a factor.
    Guess so, yeah.
    Just never realised people struggled so much. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Its all about determination and motivation. Finding a job really isn't that hard as long as you keep going at it, I left my job and found another one in three weeks because I was constantly looking and finding different opportunities.

Its the minority that sit at home and expect a job to fall into their laps that really make me angry. If you want something that bad, you go out and you get it.

ReputationRep:
    People are geographically flexible right?

ReputationRep:
    Yea, if you've had a job since you were 16 you'll be fine, though depends on the area, I've had 3 years experience as a finance administrator prior to university. However part time admin jobs are usually 20-30 hours and over 5 days, so not possible in my current situation as a student. I'd quite like a job in retail, but they wont even give me a chance because there's so many people with years of retail experience applying. The plus side is in summer I can walk into an admin job for 4 months, but during term time it's pretty tough finding something.

ReputationRep:
    Personally i have been able to get a job whenever i wanted one. I've had countless offers, i mean, it's not exactly hard to give a CV in.

I think that people are too picky with their part-time jobs, and put other things ahead of finding a job. And having to go to church on a Sunday morning or whatever doesn't stop you getting a job, despite what people say. And not wanting to work a cheap shop, or deal with stupid customers isn't an excuse either.

I haven't got a job at the moment, but i only need to walk around town for an hour, and i bet something will come along.

I'm not bigging myself up here, anyone can do it. Most of my friends work and have had loads of offers as well. If you open to work anywhere, then it's fine. I would take a cleaning job, admin, shop work, i'm not bothered.

Meh, but i guess if you live in the middle of nowhere it's a bit different. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcg-innit)
    it's like impossible
    ive handed out 15 cv's in glasgow, been phoned back about one of them,went for an interview n don't think i got it. it was about 3 weeks ago but they never phoned back so lol.

been for a few interviews before that aswell.

so, for me, there is no ease in gettin a job :|
    I figured with the credit crunch and stuff, it's only worthwhile applying to places that have adverts up.

I've filled out application forms for: Argos and W H Brothers
    I've given CVs to: Priceless Shoes, Schuh, Papyrus, Borders, Sainsbury's and more I can't remember.
    I've applied online to: Debenhams, HMV, Boots, M&S and various admin jobs.

Got my first rejection letter from Boots the other day. Feel a bit crap, if I can't get a job at Boots where's the hope for me? I have over 3 years work experience, good grades etc and different achievements that show my skills and stuff. I haven't even been called for interview.

And this is in Glasgow too. So you're doing better than me :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by becky.fm)
    Personally i have been able to get a job whenever i wanted one. I've had countless offers, i mean, it's not exactly hard to give a CV in.

I think that people are too picky with their part-time jobs, and put other things ahead of finding a job. And having to go to church on a Sunday morning or whatever doesn't stop you getting a job, despite what people say. And not wanting to work a cheap shop, or deal with stupid customers isn't an excuse either.

I haven't got a job at the moment, but i only need to walk around town for an hour, and i bet something will come along.

I'm not bigging myself up here, anyone can do it. Most of my friends work and have had loads of offers as well. If you open to work anywhere, then it's fine. I would take a cleaning job, admin, shop work, i'm not bothered.

Meh, but i guess if you live in the middle of nowhere it's a bit different. :dontknow:

See, this is what I'd have put it down to; being picky or lazy. That doesn't 'explain' all the people who say genuinely that they've tried their best to get jobs and can't, though.

ReputationRep:
    See, this is what I'd have put it down to; being picky or lazy. That doesn't 'explain' all the people who say genuinely that they've tried their best to get jobs and can't, though.
    See my post above and please tell me I'm being picky or lazy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flown_muse)
    See my post above and please tell me I'm being picky or lazy.
    'tis exactly my point with that post. It's what I would've put it down to, but it doesn't explain people like you.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm i'm 17 and have had 2 jobs.. one which i got when i was 15 in a restaurant.. and the one i am in now. For the restaurant one.. i literally rang up and they said come in for an interview.. i went in and they gave it to me just like that.
    the one i'm in now i applied for and had an informal interview and got the job. found it quite easy.. but maybe it's cause i'm young it's easier to get a job as employers can pay them less? i dunno.

ReputationRep:
    'tis exactly my point with that post. It's what I would've put it down to, but it doesn't explain people like you.
    Sorry :o: That's what I get for reading quickly and then jumping on my high horse.

I think it's because there are a LOT of people out there looking for jobs right now, a lot of them with better qualifications than teenagers. I mean, all these hundreds of people who have lost jobs, they will have experience of perhaps 20+ years. Especially in a city like Glasgow, there will be dozens of applicants for a few places,and it's unlikely we youn'uns are gonna be the best pick

That's my hypothesis anyway.

EDIT: For my job history, I stated off getting a jobin a bakery after doing work experience. I wanted more hours, which they couldn't give me, so I got the Thomson Local out, and rang up numbers for cafe's in my area, and quit the bakery. First place I phoned invited me for an interview, go the job. Worked there for over two years. Got a second job while I was there, my Chemistry teacher recommended a receptionist job at the local go-karting to me, applied, interview, job, got fired :o: Still worked at the cafe, and got a Kitchen Porter job for a few weeks at another cafe to help them cover the holidays.

So I don't know what I'm doing wrong now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VVVES)
    Hmm i'm 17 and have had 2 jobs.. one which i got when i was 15 in a restaurant.. and the one i am in now. For the restaurant one.. i literally rang up and they said come in for an interview.. i went in and they gave it to me just like that.
    the one i'm in now i applied for and had an informal interview and got the job. found it quite easy.. but maybe it's cause i'm young it's easier to get a job as employers can pay them less? i dunno.
    Hm, yeah. Guess so; perhaps it's that then - the people who leave it late to start working struggle more.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 16, 2008
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerHow to become an online tutorCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.