Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can someone tell me if working a week or two in the treasury department of an asian bank in london (employ only 30 ppl in london office) will add weight to a cv?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prospectivEEconomist)
    Can someone tell me if working a week or two in the treasury department of an asian bank in london (employ only 30 ppl in london office) will add weight to a cv?
    no. now go away

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nu Ordah!!!!!!!!!!!!)
    no. now go away
    What was the neg rep for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flown_muse)
    See my post above and please tell me I'm being picky or lazy.
    If i'm honest, you don't seem to have applied to that many places. Literally give a CV/application form into every hotel/shop/cleaners/agency around.

ReputationRep:
    I figured with the credit crunch and stuff, it's only worthwhile applying to places that have adverts up.

I've filled out application forms for: Argos and W H Brothers
    I've given CVs to: Priceless Shoes, Schuh, Papyrus, Borders, Sainsbury's and more I can't remember.
    I've applied online to: Debenhams, HMV, Boots, M&S and various admin jobs.

Got my first rejection letter from Boots the other day. Feel a bit crap, if I can't get a job at Boots where's the hope for me? I have over 3 years work experience, good grades etc and different achievements that show my skills and stuff. I haven't even been called for interview.

And this is in Glasgow too. So you're doing better than me :sad:
    aw, ive done stuff for a couple of those shops too. application forms to argos, and borders, river island and topshop.
    online ive applied for hmv,zavvi,river island, boots and so many more i cant even remember.

i hate being unemployed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prospectivEEconomist)
    Yeah of course it will

ReputationRep:
    I think a lot is location. Now everywhere is low on jobs at the moment, but some places are worse than others. Then if you're somewhere rural you may find there's more jobs you need a car for (either to get there and back or as part of the job), plus some areas have people moving there (Cornwall of course being one), many of these are people with families or wanting to start them, so in 20s - 40s and with experience.

I know when I was in year 11 a lot of my year were starting to lose their part-time jobs, but nobody would take them on, there's just too many people for the jobs I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by becky.fm)
    Yeah of course it will
    i only asked because i will only be able to work a week or two max. Do employers actually care that you worked for a week or two? I know if you work for a month or more then its significant but im not sure :confused:

ReputationRep:
    If i'm honest, you don't seem to have applied to that many places. Literally give a CV/application form into every hotel/shop/cleaners/agency around.
    I explained in my original post that I was only applying to places advertising, as I don't think there's any point handing in CVs to places that aren't looking for anyone right now or in the immediate future.

I have applied to every shop/hotel etc that I have seen advertising, plus various cleaning agencies and hotels online, and have appointments with agencies next week.

That enough for you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    Hm, yeah. Guess so; perhaps it's that then - the people who leave it late to start working struggle more.
    Well i suppose there's two sides to it..
    Young people get employed because maybe they get paid less?
    and..
    Older (usually more qualified people) get employed because they are more qualified?
    x

ReputationRep:
    For me it's quite difficult especially when I apply for marketing graduate schemes which attracts many thousands of other applicants and thus makes it even more difficult to make yourself stand out..

So far I'v'e received rejections from BT, DHL, Orange and DunnHumby... and especially during the current financial crisis it's even more difficult when companies have either stopped recruiting or are recruiting very few people and would only take on the best. For example, Orange will only take in 15 new graduates to start in sept 2009!!

Even though work experience counts a lot how do you expect to get work experience when it something which is required to get the job but in order to get the job you need work experience!!

ReputationRep:
    I've got 2 jobs at the moment but i've been looking for another for the last 6 months with no luck.
    the first job (cleaning) I got by being in the right place at the right time
    the second job is working in the family shop, so the job was mine if i wanted it.

I've handed in my CV pretty much everywhere and formally applied wherever i've seen jobs advertised. I've had one interview and my mate got the job because he was friends with the manager.

around here it's a case of;
    lack of jobs
    jobs that you need a car for
    people give jobs to their friends and relatives
    mostly seasonal work

ReputationRep:
    Found it quit easy really have applied to 4 jobs and out of all out of them i got accepted at 3

ReputationRep:
    I explained in my original post that I was only applying to places advertising, as I don't think there's any point handing in CVs to places that aren't looking for anyone right now or in the immediate future.

I have applied to every shop/hotel etc that I have seen advertising, plus various cleaning agencies and hotels online, and have appointments with agencies next week.

That enough for you?
    Ok fine, i wasn't having a go. :o: Just to let you know, both of my jobs came about from me just going in and asking if they had any jobs - none were advertising at the time.

ReputationRep:
    Though it's harder at the moment to find a job, I think with enough determination that it's possible to get a job no matter what your situation. It depends how low you're willing to go and whether or not you feel certain things are beneath you. I also know people who are overly picky when applying for jobs; they don't like the look of the staff, don't like the style of the place or (if it's shopwork) what it sells, or maybe they just get a negative vibe. I remember back in the day I used to be a bit like that, half-wanting a job, half-dreading the opportunity when it presented itself.

You have to reach farther and farther until you catch one in a net and gobble it up!

ReputationRep:
    I've been looking since before I was 16. I've had two jobs - M&S which was awful because my line manager loathed me and they wouldn't let me cut my hours although I was nearly dying from that and 4 AS levels - and Yes Loans; scum of the Earth call centre. I couldn't hack it after two months of being treated like crap - had my line manager tricking me into doing more overtime although legally I couldn't, being harassed in pretty much every way possible, and just the whole moral part of it.

I'm unemployed again, and I can't find anything, or anyone that wants me. I've handed out over 50 CVs, and applied for jobs everywhere, but apart from interviews in Sainsburys, McDonalds - which I got, but the guy was disgusting, and wouldn't give me the job I applied for anyway, plus I couldn't have done the hours they set out which they only told me of AFTER applying - and Argos, I'm still relying upon EMA and mum.

I hate it

ReputationRep:
    Ok fine, i wasn't having a go. :o: Just to let you know, both of my jobs came about from me just going in and asking if they had any jobs - none were advertising at the time.
    Sorry, I should be slapped, was on my high horse again:o:

I used to do thatin the past, in Gourock, Greenock and Largs I handed out over 150 CVs, and got no responces until 5 months later, by which time I no longer lived there. So I've given up on that method, and with the credit crunch and that, well, I dunno. I want a job

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    I've been looking since before I was 16. I've had two jobs - M&S which was awful because my line manager loathed me and they wouldn't let me cut my hours although I was nearly dying from that and 4 AS levels - and Yes Loans; scum of the Earth call centre. I couldn't hack it after two months of being treated like crap - had my line manager tricking me into doing more overtime although legally I couldn't, being harassed in pretty much every way possible, and just the whole moral part of it.

I'm unemployed again, and I can't find anything, or anyone that wants me. I've handed out over 50 CVs, and applied for jobs everywhere, but apart from interviews in Sainsburys, McDonalds - which I got, but the guy was disgusting, and wouldn't give me the job I applied for anyway, plus I couldn't have done the hours they set out which they only told me of AFTER applying - and Argos, I'm still relying upon EMA and mum.

I hate it
    Oh my word, I used to work in that exact same M&S with you! And also hated it :p:
    It's not that difficult to get jobs in this area really, I don't know anyone who's tried for a job and not got it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howells)
    Oh my word, I used to work in that exact same M&S with you! And also hated it :p:
    It's not that difficult to get jobs in this area really, I don't know anyone who's tried for a job and not got it
    Yeah, I remember you getting told off for wearing jeans on our first night in. God I was glad to leave that place! :P

I can't seem to find anything, but I've given up looking in the last month or so, basically because I've decided I really need to get my arse in gear for uni; I'll just have to be poor for the meantime! I think your lot are just lucky; I know loads of people who can't get anything. Teach me? :P

ReputationRep:
    I had no problems finding my first job at 16, however when I left there at 17 it took me a year to find my second job.

I was looking at shops, receptionists, bar work (no-one wanted me because I didn't have experience - How was I meant to get experience?!), waitressing (again, experience), the only things that I wouldn't apply for where manual labour.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.