The Student Room Group

Applying as a broke 17yo ...a cry for help.

iGCSEs and full grade/subject breakdown:
A* Biology
A* Physics
A* chemistry
A* math
A business
A history
A english

A levels, subjects and predictions
Physics - as level: a, predicted: A*
Chemistry - as level: a, predicted: A*
Biology - as level: a, predicted: A*
Math - as level: a, predicted: A*
UCAT and breakdown of subsections
VR = 600
DM = 680
QR = 710
AR = 670
2660 (665 AVG) SJT band: Band 3
7th decile

Brief mention of work experience:
two weeks at a dental clinic
two weeks shadowing a gynae doctor

Ill be 17 by september, the start of the course and this totally limits where I can apply. Also honestly want to keep tuition fees under 40k per year which i suppose is a lot to ask for as an international student

preceding my ucat i was pretty interest in nottingham and manchester but now.. im not so sure please let me know if its worth my time applying there. Been looking at durham and hull and york but the tuition fees is pretty steep. i find ediburgh to be a good middle ground. id be lying if i said the main intrigue to nottingham and durham isnt the full body dissection with the cadavers..
as of now im looking at st.andrews and lincoln, how are my chances looking?
any advice is welcome thanks
Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question - or may be a better place to post your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2023 Admissions Tests:
UCAT 2023 Discussion
BMAT 2023 Discussion
GAMSAT 2023 Discussion
UCAT 2023 Results

Other application years:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Reply 2
Original post by amars06
A* Biology
A* Physics
A* chemistry
A* math
A business
A history
A english

VR = 600
DM = 680
QR = 710
AR = 670
7th decile

Ill be 17 by september, the start of the course and this totally limits where I can apply. Also honestly want to keep tuition fees under 40k per year which i suppose is a lot to ask for as an international student

preceding my ucat i was pretty interest in nottingham and manchester but now.. im not so sure please let me know if its worth my time applying there. Been looking at durham and hull and york but the tuition fees is pretty steep. i find ediburgh to be a good middle ground. id be lying if i said the main intrigue to nottingham and durham isnt the full body dissection with the cadavers..

If you’re very limited in regards to where to apply for 2023 entry you could consider deferred 2024 entry so you’ll be 18 and can apply to more places?
Reply 3
Original post by abilaw
If you’re very limited in regards to where to apply for 2023 entry you could consider deferred 2024 entry so you’ll be 18 and can apply to more places?

so i apply this year to any university but only start it in 2024? why is that better than just taking a gap year and applying in 2023
Original post by amars06
so i apply this year to any university but only start it in 2024? why is that better than just taking a gap year and applying in 2023

In the year you have deferred, get a job and work hard to save up money to help support you, if you dont have available funds at the moment.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by amars06

It has the same effect I think, but gives you more than one bite at the cherry over the same two year period. So could do one or two (if you can find them) ones that accept this year and then two of the ones that you really want but deferred to 2024.

then if you don’t get an offer this year, and sadly many won’t as it is so competitive, then you can spend your time building your application wex wise and apply again. It is often easier to apply with achieved grades as the med schools have more of a guaranteed thing than predicted grades. Plus another UCAT go. Are you doing BMAT?

I am not on an expert on young applicants but I suspect it’s those with early clinical exposure that run into difficulty so perhaps look at those with pre-clinical years.

good luck. When will you be 18?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 6
Original post by George&Mary44!
It has the same effect I think, but gives you more than one bite at the cherry over the same two year period. So could do one or two (if you can find them) ones that accept this year and then two of the ones that you really want but deferred to 2024.

then if you don’t get an offer this year, and sadly many won’t as it is so competitive, then you can spend your time building your application wex wise and apply again. It is often easier to apply with achieved grades as the med schools have more of a guaranteed thing than predicted grades. Plus another UCAT go. Are you doing BMAT?

I am not on an expert on young applicants but I suspect it’s those with early clinical exposure that run into difficulty so perhaps look at those with pre-clinical years.

good luck. When will you be 18?

No I'm not considering doing the BMAT, ill be 18 on Feb 6th so 17 by the time the school starts.
I've vetted my choices and narrowed it down to Hull and York, Lincoln, Nottingham and St. Andrews. How do my chances look based on my UCAT and gcses?
Reply 7
Original post by amars06

it’s not necessarily better but if you get an offer for 2024 you can take the time until then working to earn money to help your finances once you get to uni. and then if you dont get in for 2024 you can still reapply in 2023 for 2024 with a better understanding of the application system, achieved a levels and a chance to do better in your ucat. achieved a levels can help with some unis like Leicester has a guaranteed interview scheme if you have achieved AAA or higher and get a ucat score in the top two deciles. it’s up to you but applying for 2024 now seems to have a lot of benefits for you.
Original post by amars06
No I'm not considering doing the BMAT, ill be 18 on Feb 6th so 17 by the time the school starts.
I've vetted my choices and narrowed it down to Hull and York, Lincoln, Nottingham and St. Andrews. How do my chances look based on my UCAT and gcses?

I am afraid I am not qualified to give advice on that, or even brave enough to comment as I haven’t researched them myself.

it’s a bit of a niche area given your age and International status. So best I can do is tag in those who I would ask if I were in your shoes. @GANFYD @Medpapa @Chi chi5.
good luck with your application.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by amars06
A* Biology
A* Physics
A* chemistry
A* math
A business
A history
A english

VR = 600
DM = 680
QR = 710
AR = 670
7th decile

Cadaveric dissection doesn't matter. Apply wherever is affordable and realistic in terms of getting an offer.
Reply 10
Original post by Democracy
Cadaveric dissection doesn't matter. Apply wherever is affordable and realistic in terms of getting an offer.

Yeah ive realised.. now i think i have my list finalised with nottingham, lincoln, hull and york and st. andrews. how do my chances look?
I am afraid I am not qualified to give advice on that, or even brave enough to comment as I haven’t researched them myself.

it’s a bit of a niche area given your age and International status. So best I can do is tag in those who I would ask if I were in your shoes. @GANFYD @Medpapa @Chi chi5.

I know nothing about international admissions, I'm afraid
This discussed lower age limits
https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/choosing-a-medical-school/minimum-age-requirements-for-medicine/
Original post by amars06
Yeah ive realised.. now i think i have my list finalised with nottingham, lincoln, hull and york and st. andrews. how do my chances look?

Nottingham and Lincoln heavily weight SJT, and most people need a B1 for a chance of an interview. I do not know if Internationals are different, but I doubt it
HYMS also give 15% of their marks for SJT, and use it after interview. If internationals are score the same as home, I make your score around 61 and cut off was 73 last year
St Andrews is a bit of anomaly in that they sometimes have lower cut offs for internationals than UK students, but RUK cut off was in the high 2800s last year, and the gap is usually considerably <100 points. I suspect their new ranking as "better than Oxbridge" may increase international applicants, too.

Work out from the link where you can apply, but eyeballing it, Aberdeen and Dundee look your best options (certainly would be for a UK applicant). With Sunderland if you are 18 by the December and have good material for their R&R style form.

UCLan, Buckingham and Brunel can be applied to outside of UCAS, and I suspect may have 17 as a lower limit, given they are mainly for internationals.

If unsuccessful, reapply when 18, when you have more options and hopefully a better UCAT
Original post by GANFYD
I know nothing about international admissions, I'm afraid
This discussed lower age limits
https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/choosing-a-medical-school/minimum-age-requirements-for-medicine/

Interesting to see the variation. Sorry to tag you incorrectly when you are so busy !
Interesting to see the variation. Sorry to tag you incorrectly when you are so busy !

No problem :smile: I can often at least point people in the right general direction to start looking.
I had one apply at 17, so looked into it years ago

Ty x I’ll check origin post for stats now
Original post by amars06
A* Biology
A* Physics
A* chemistry
A* math
A business
A history
A english

VR = 600
DM = 680
QR = 710
AR = 670
7th decile

I wrote what felt like an essay and lost it all 🤦🏽*♀️

I will try to rewrite the important bits

-better to apply as deferred entry rather than just apply next year
1. competition generally increases every year
this may be different however for next year as grade inflation levels out and official exams go back to normal for next year so there is a chance next year competition will actually decrease 🤷🏽*♀️
2. gives you two shots for the same academic year
Not much downside to this
3. I’m not sure how fees are set for deferred entry but if they are set in the year you apply you may get a lower fee, not sure at all if that’s accurate you may need to be enrolled before fees are set or confirmed in which case you’d pay the same but no more than those in the academic year you enrol.

Hyms your score is 56 pre band points. 28 for ucat, 28 for academics (20 points for 4 A*s and 8 points for 2 As) Band 3 is worth anywhere from 0-10 points roughly. They state band scoring is not linear but I would think you’d get 5-10 points for band. Cutoff was around 55 so a possible consideration. Hyms does not accept deferred entry from international students so you’d have to confirm if they accept applicants under 18.

I don’t know much about Scottish unis but they are more favourable to internationals than English unis. That being said Edinburgh has a high cut off still so I wouldn’t recommend it.

It’s worth scoring yourself for QUB and Liverpool may be a good choice as their cutoff was 2610. The concern is you need to have 15 points at gcse You seem to score 14 unless you’ve got a gcse that’s not listed?

for Nottingham and Lincoln you score 82, 20 for band 3, 28 for ucat and 28 for GCSEs if you have only got 7. They score 8. Cutoffs were 129ish and 119 respectively so I wouldn’t recommend.

Keele and sunderland may be good if they either accept candidates under 18 or allow deferred entry for internationals. Possibly uea if the same. Cutoff was 2640 but they use band post interview so you’d have to interview well.

St. Andrews may be an option. I’ll see if I can find info on age requirements and general requirements UCAT cutoff *EDIT* don’t believe there’s an age cutoff. You also meet academic requirements.

BD09A89B-3B7C-4429-AFB5-E344920A1ADF.pngDAE95780-DD39-414C-B282-68CF659F20F3.png5E81C7D9-006A-4CC5-84AC-02F395CD20C3.png
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 17
Original post by amars06
A* Biology
A* Physics
A* chemistry
A* math
A business
A history
A english

VR = 600
DM = 680
QR = 710
AR = 670
7th decile

I’m pretty sure there is no Medicine course at Durham.
St Andrew’s usually has quite a high UCAT threshold.
Lincoln is linked to Nottingham - I think if you apply to both you only need the one interview.
Not sure about international tuition fees or age limits.

Quick Reply

Latest