The Student Room Group

Girton

I have grades at gcse 999988887

And am hoping for atleast A*A*A predictions amin History, Politics and Philosophy or even 3A*

Due to my subpar- for applicants results as most will have all 9s am I better off applying to an outskirt college like girton rather than a central on .e.g Magdalen as chances for History and Politics are 48% for Girton- last 5yrs and 30% for Magdalene

I think girton is nice but prefer ancient ones
You have near perfect GCSE grades, all A*s except for one A. Oxford considers 8s & 9s the same for applications (A*s). They’re definitely not subpar, more so average. If you wanted to know for sure - check the FOI requests made by individuals on the website whatdotheyknow.com for Oxford University. Average GCSEs will vary by the course (e.g. E&M / Medicine very high)
Original post by Crystalcreps

And am hoping for atleast A*A*A predictions amin History, Politics and Philosophy or even 3A*

Due to my subpar- for applicants results as most will have all 9s am I better off applying to an outskirt college like girton rather than a central on .e.g Magdalen as chances for History and Politics are 48% for Girton- last 5yrs and 30% for Magdalene

Such as Magdalene which although percentage is 33% for entry I fear I have no chance
Such as Magdalene which although percentage is 33% for entry I fear I have no chance

Just apply to the one with the highest offer rate to give yourself the best chances. Oxford is Oxford after all.
Original post by kelrasheed
Just apply to the one with the highest offer rate to give yourself the best chances. Oxford is Oxford after all.

CMbridge we’re talking about
Oh my bad I wasn’t focusing when typing that. Same principle applies though.
Reply 6
Wherever you apply you will love it but also there will always be a college you wish you went to or had applied to eg I’m from newnham and love it but kings or trinity is just classic Cambridge and Id have loved to go there but then people from there wish it wasn’t quite so academic so it doesn’t matter at the end of the day there are pros and cons to everywhere no college is perfect. If you want to get into Cambridge go for girton if you want to get into Magdalene then apply Magdalene but either is lovely
Note Cambridge have stated this before:

Careful ongoing analysis of our admissions statistics shows that, for equally well-qualified applicants, making an open application or applying directly to a College does not affect your chance of being made an offer of a place. This is because we have rigorous procedures in place to compare all applicants for each subject before selection decisions are finalised. Strong applicants who’ve been squeezed out by the competition at their original College can be made an offer by another College through the pool. Colleges would rather admit a strong applicant from the pool than a weaker applicant who applied directly to them.

Applying to Girton doesn't give you a "better" chance of getting into Cambridge, just a better chance of getting Girton rather than any other college if you were likely to get an offer in the first place.

hey as others will point out, the pooling system means you've got pretty equal chances of getting into cam whichever college u apply to. However if you're a girl you're most likely to be pooled to murray edwards. If you really hate the idea of an all girls college then i would recommend to apply to girton to avoid being pooled somewhere you don't want to go. Also bear in mind Girton really is a bit far away...
There are some central and ancient but not overly subscribed colleges too tho. Like corpus, catz, sidney sussex, potentially emmanuel (but corpus is the only rly ancient one out of these)
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by killmewithbees
hey as others will point out, the pooling system means you've got pretty equal chances of getting into cam whichever college u apply to. However if you're a girl you're most likely to be pooled to murray edwards. If you really hate the idea of an all girls college then i would recommend to apply to girton to avoid being pooled somewhere you don't want to go. Also bear in mind Girton really is a bit far away...
There are some central and ancient but not overly subscribed colleges too tho. Like corpus, catz, sidney sussex, potentially emmanuel (but corpus is the only rly ancient one out of these)

The only thing to note is this only applies if the applicant is interviewed - you can't get pooled if you don't get interviewed. Normally this doesn't matter anyway, but in at least one specific circumstance (maths at Trinity) it's much harder to get an interview at that college for that course so it CAN matter there.

But otherwise yes as you say and as I indicated, aiming for what the OP perceives as an "easier" college isn't likely to make a difference (and may backfire).
Original post by artful_lounger
The only thing to note is this only applies if the applicant is interviewed - you can't get pooled if you don't get interviewed. Normally this doesn't matter anyway, but in at least one specific circumstance (maths at Trinity) it's much harder to get an interview at that college for that course so it CAN matter there.

But otherwise yes as you say and as I indicated, aiming for what the OP perceives as an "easier" college isn't likely to make a difference (and may backfire).

Hmm actually this is not true. A Cambridge college can take a candidate they've never interviewed: https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/guide_to_the_winter_pool.pdf
Hmm actually this is not true. A Cambridge college can take a candidate they've never interviewed: https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/guide_to_the_winter_pool.pdf

You misunderstand me - they need to be interviewed by at least one college before they can be considered in the pool by any college. Hence the linked document always refers to "further interview" or "reinterview" or "without further interview". You need to be interviewed at least once or you can't be pooled. You can get pooled to another college without getting interviewed by that specific college, but need to be interviewed by the first college.
Original post by artful_lounger
You misunderstand me - they need to be interviewed by at least one college before they can be considered in the pool by any college. Hence the linked document always refers to "further interview" or "reinterview" or "without further interview". You need to be interviewed at least once or you can't be pooled. You can get pooled to another college without getting interviewed by that specific college, but need to be interviewed by the first college.

Lol yes fairly obviously you need to be interviewed to get into cambridge!
I don't think the trinity problem will apply to op tho, although I don't know what they're applying for
Lol yes fairly obviously you need to be interviewed to get into cambridge!
I don't think the trinity problem will apply to op tho, although I don't know what they're applying for

Yes I know, I was making the observation to point out that there is that particular exception :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest