The Student Room Group

Oxford Ruskin Art school

Hi, I’m interested in studying art at Ruskin School of Art, Oxford. Any former students who can tell me what their experience was of studying there?
Did it feel high pressured with such short terms?
Did you feel the workload impeded you living your life outside of academia?
Original post by isaac27473
Hi, I’m interested in studying art at Ruskin School of Art, Oxford. Any former students who can tell me what their experience was of studying there?
Did it feel high pressured with such short terms?
Did you feel the workload impeded you living your life outside of academia?

Hi @isaac27473

I'm going into my third year studying fine art at Lancaster University, so although I don't have experience of what fine art is like specifically at Oxford, I just wanted to share with you some of the factors I considered when looking at universities!

Studios- your access to studio space at university and the environment in this space will hugely impact your experience with fine art. I've always felt really supported at Lancaster because of the positive environment created in the studios. Have a look at the layout of the studios- whether you feel they are set up in a way you could work well (what works for you won't necessarily work for someone else and vice versa), talk to the students about how much time they spend there and whether they collaborate with others around them!

Group crits- often there is a mix between formal group crits organised by the department/ tutors and more informal, spontaneous group crits. When done well, these create the perfect foundation to cultivate ideas and bounce off each other, all with a healthy sprinkling of competition! Some of my most successful work in the last two years can be traced back to group crit discussions.

The studio environment and relationship between tutors and students can really make or break your experience and outcomes studying fine out, with the level of comfort and support you feel directly leading into your questions about pressure and workload. The biggest workload in a positive environment surrounded by passionate artists will feel much less arduous than a smaller workload in an environment where you don't feel comfortable!

Good luck with your uni search and applications!
Yasmin (Lancaster University student ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest