The Student Room Group

Cambridge Medicine

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to apply to Cambridge uni...
I got 5 nines, 2 eights, and 3 sevens at GCSE
I'm predicted A*A*A and my personal statement is alright (not amazing)... I will ofc do bmat...
I am not sure if it's too competitive and if I might get rejected pre-interview as my personal statement isn't as strong as others

My other option is UCL but I like Cambridge more... I keep hearing that people with 4A* getting rejected from Cambridge://

Could anyone give me some advice

Thank you
Reply 1
it may depend on which cambridge college you apply to
Original post by meepsie
it may depend on which cambridge college you apply to

Thank you for your reply

I’m not sure as I heard they have equal chance of acceptance although some are more popular than others?
I like all the more traditional style colleges ://
Original post by Chanylinkat
Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to apply to Cambridge uni...
I got 5 nines, 2 eights, and 3 sevens at GCSE
I'm predicted A*A*A and my personal statement is alright (not amazing)... I will ofc do bmat...
I am not sure if it's too competitive and if I might get rejected pre-interview as my personal statement isn't as strong as others

My other option is UCL but I like Cambridge more... I keep hearing that people with 4A* getting rejected from Cambridge://

Could anyone give me some advice

Thank you

30% of Cambridge applicants get rejected pre-interview. Almost all of them will have similar qualifications to you. So yes, you might get rejected pre-interview. But 70% of Cambridge applicants get an interview and most of them will have similar qualifications to you as well.

I don't understand "my other option is UCL." You have three other medicine options. My advice would be that right now you make an effort to get past the mindset that you have to go to a super-selective university. You might get in, but you probably won't. Not because you're not good enough, but because there are far more people who are good enough than places, so most of them don't. Why would you halve your chances by only applying to two places?

Go read the medicine threads and find the two additional universities which your qualifications are the best fit for. They may not be trendy big names. They may not be in trendy big cities. You may not even have heard of them. It's medicine; it doesn't matter.
Original post by skylark2
30% of Cambridge applicants get rejected pre-interview. Almost all of them will have similar qualifications to you. So yes, you might get rejected pre-interview. But 70% of Cambridge applicants get an interview and most of them will have similar qualifications to you as well.

I don't understand "my other option is UCL." You have three other medicine options. My advice would be that right now you make an effort to get past the mindset that you have to go to a super-selective university. You might get in, but you probably won't. Not because you're not good enough, but because there are far more people who are good enough than places, so most of them don't. Why would you halve your chances by only applying to two places?

Go read the medicine threads and find the two additional universities which your qualifications are the best fit for. They may not be trendy big names. They may not be in trendy big cities. You may not even have heard of them. It's medicine; it doesn't matter.

Hi thanks for the reply,

I have already picked my other three unis but I’m undecided on my last option which I want to go for a more risky university which I like more hence my decision between UCL and Cambridge . Sorry for not making it clear that I am using all four options for medicine. I am not applying based on how prestigious the unis are, I am applying based on the fact I like the area, after all I will have to spend 5 or 6 years there.

My other 3 options will most likely be UEA, Kings, Imperial. I’m trying to decide on another bmat university.

Thank you for your insight.
(edited 1 year ago)
Are you doing 3 STEM subjects and confident you can do well on the BMAT? If so, then you're fine.

If you're doing not doing 3 STEM subjects and/or are not sure you'll do well on the BMAT, might be safer to go for another uni.

Original post by Chanylinkat
Hi thanks the reply,

I have already picked my other three unis but I’m undecided on my last option which I want to go for a more risky university which I like more hence my decision between UCL and Cambridge . Sorry for not making it clear that I am using all four options for medicine. I am not applying based on how prestigious the unis are, I am applying based on the fact I like the area, after all I will have to spend 5 or 6 years there.

My other 3 options will most likely be UEA, Kings, Imperial. I’m trying to decide on another bmat university.

Thank you for your insight.

There is no "more risky university" for medicine. All medical courses are very oversubscribed (also for what it's worth, Cambridge is in fact more averagely competitive compared to other medical courses). You should be selecting universities primarly on the basis of one criteria: how likely you are to get interviewed, based on their selection methodology. Failing to do that means you'll most likely be one of the 60% of applicants who get no medicine offers, because you didn't choose your courses strategically and just picked them semi-randomly or on the basis of how non-medicine courses are advised to be selected.

Also for what it's worth I gather London is a not a great place to study medicine in terms of "area" because you get placements all over greater London so you can go from a placement south of the river in one block to being up in Hatfield the next. Food for thought.
Original post by artful_lounger
Are you doing 3 STEM subjects and confident you can do well on the BMAT? If so, then you're fine.

If you're doing not doing 3 STEM subjects and/or are not sure you'll do well on the BMAT, might be safer to go for another uni.

There is no "more risky university" for medicine. All medical courses are very oversubscribed (also for what it's worth, Cambridge is in fact more averagely competitive compared to other medical courses). You should be selecting universities primarly on the basis of one criteria: how likely you are to get interviewed, based on their selection methodology. Failing to do that means you'll most likely be one of the 60% of applicants who get no medicine offers, because you didn't choose your courses strategically and just picked them semi-randomly or on the basis of how non-medicine courses are advised to be selected.

Also for what it's worth I gather London is a not a great place to study medicine in terms of "area" because you get placements all over greater London so you can go from a placement south of the river in one block to being up in Hatfield the next. Food for thought.

Thanks! I am doing all 3 sciences and I don’t think my bmat will go too badly I hope…

I appreciate the thought about the placements all over london as that is a very good point hence why I wasn’t sure if I wanted to apply for ucl as my fourth as that would not give a lot of variety to my options. I like london as I like to be in larger cities and I like the course styles of the unis I’m looking at. Also I like how imperial gives interviews based solely on bmat ranking (as will ucl this year) as I do not think my personal statement is very strong.

Thank you for your help.
Reply 7
which did you end up going for? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest