Turn on thread page Beta

My parents are REALLY racist watch

anon or delete

My parents constantly make really racist comments about other religions/races and it really annoys me and we end up arguing. neither of them have had a proper education so their views and criticisms are in fact really ignorant and immature. Usually they think they are being funny when they are just embarassing themselves.

I have lots of multicultural friends (which they actually dont mind) and I am scared to bring them home while my parents are home in case they say something out of line. they also made it clear that they would not like me to date someone of different ethnicity to me, but they are not 100% against it, they just dont like the idea. It's mainly just racist comments so i can imagine if i dated someone they didn't like, they'd make them feel unwelcome and probably make horrible comments but would not actually confront it. they are cowards, basically.

Once i recorded them making racist comments and threatened to put it on youtube and they almost broke my camera trying to get the tape back.

I tried speaking to them about it but they get angry that im 'imposing my views onto them'. so i cant talk them out of it. whenever i do something wrong (like i was caught taking drugs) they blame all the wrong people. like im friends with people who are poorer than us (in benefit houseing etc.) and they blame them for everything like when stuff goes missing from our house.

ReputationRep:
    Well you wont be able to change their minds just try and live with it my dads pretty Racist at times it so embarssing he thinks his clever as he thinks people wont understand what he says . Im indian by the way just to show that you dont have to be white to be racist. Best thing you can do is live with it. My parents would neva allow me to date someone from another race, when i dont give a dam.

EDIT: i would give an example but i mite get banned.

ReputationRep:
    My parents are kinda the same. They have a stereotypical view on people of different races and it really pisses me off. I ALWAYS get into arguments with them about stuff like this and they're just too immature to see how wrong they're being. It is embarrassing when they think they're being clever but really they look so idiotic because of how shallow they are being.

ReputationRep:
    Wow... Just look forward to going to uni and getting away from them lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanNature)
    My parents are kinda the same. They have a stereotypical view on people of different races and it really pisses me off. I ALWAYS get into arguments with them about stuff like this and they're just too immature to see how wrong they're being.
    I'm in the same situation.. sooooo annoying. :rolleyes: :mad:

ReputationRep:
    pwn them about it.

ReputationRep:
    When your parents are ignorant, it's very difficult to change their views.
    Try to ignore it or just don't stay in their presence for very long.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps you could try seeing things from their perspective. They are your parents, after all.

Perhaps they were raised in an age when 'racism' in white people was not viewed as being quite so pathological as it is today.

ReputationRep:
    When I prove my parents wrong they always shout at me because they feel like idiots.

(Original post by PeanutButterJellyTime)
    just to show that you dont have to be white to be racist.

You HONESTLY think that the majority of racist people in this country are white? White people bend over backwards to not be racist, hence the laws on immigration etc. If anything, its the other ethnicities that are racist.

ReputationRep:
    Can I just say it's a great thing that you are so open minded and against what they say. It's safe to say a lot of young people who are racist generally are so because of their upbringing and parental influence. It is great to see someone like you who can see the ignorance and cowardice of such views

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Shut the **** up, you HONESTLY think that the majority of racist people in this country are white? Haha, you ******* idiot. White people bend over backwards to not be racist, hence the laws on immigration etc. If anything, its the other
    ethnicities that are racist *cough* bombings *cough*
    You've completely missed the point of what he said.

ReputationRep:
    You HONESTLY think that the majority of racist people in this country are white? White people bend over backwards to not be racist, hence the laws on immigration etc. If anything, its the other ethnicities that are racist.
    wtf? a tiny minority and you're lumping them together as "other ethnicities"? that's ridiculous. :no: - and why are you anonymous anyway?

anyway, no matter what the race in question - it's unfortunate if your parents do have ignorant views. they still, unfortunately, exist and probably always will do. it's just the way it is. my parents have stereotypical views, although at the end of the day they too recognise it's MY choice... I mean, I associate myself with people of other races/religions all the time. they expect me to marry someone of a similar-ish sort of background though, although that's ages away so we have time to think about anything like that... (would need to get in a relationship first!)

ReputationRep:
    Are they out campaigning with the BNP? Carrying out racist attacks on the street? Painting racist comments on the local shopping centre? Or are they expressing there own personal views in their own home?

ReputationRep:
    if it were me I'd keep nagging them about it, I'd probably get down to their childish level and use it as an insult. like whenever anything goes wrong just say, 'it's because you're racist'. or, 'sorry, I don't listen to racist people'. and say random comments like, I was going to dye my hair so and so colour, but I decided against it because you'd love me less.' just relly annoy them, it's difficult to change their views but you can annoy them so much they stop doing it around you.

ReputationRep:

no hes saying that the stereotypical comments of everybody in the community suggesting the only white people are racist is incorrect. Thats what he's saying.

ReputationRep:
    Mine are too, it's actually fairly common in the older generations.

They'll die off soon.

ReputationRep:
    get a really fit gf and tell her to give your dad a bj. worked for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kklol)
    get a really fit gf and tell her to give your dad a bj. worked for me
    you've got to be joking right?

ReputationRep:
    lol me 2.

I mean.. erm.. i'll shut up now...

Racism is made way too big a deal out of.. it's no different to calling someone a ginger **** or a lanky bugger or a shortass.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 15, 2008
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.