The Student Room Group

UCAS entering A levels help!!

So I am not too sure where and how I need to enter my A level predicted grades??

I am in year 13 now and am predicted A*AA + A (achieved EPQ)

I guess I fill it in the 'Education' section but how do I make it clear that they are predicted grades?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Idk131
So I am not too sure where and how I need to enter my A level predicted grades??

I am in year 13 now and am predicted A*AA + A (achieved EPQ)

I guess I fill it in the 'Education' section but how do I make it clear that they are predicted grades?

You don't fill in your predicted grades, your school do. Just fill out the education tab with your GCSEs with the grades you have, then fill out your A-Levels with the grade "pending"
Reply 2
Original post by Idk131

I am in year 13 now and am predicted A*AA A (achieved EPQ)

If you’re applying with your school, put your result as “pending” and then whatever teacher is sorting your ucas applications out should add your predicted grades for you. I’m surprised that haven’t told you this yet, I’d talk to your teacher about it

^^ this was how we did it last year, I assume it’s the same
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
Original post by jjess(:
If you’re applying with your school, put your result as “pending” and then whatever teacher is sorting your ucas applications out should add your predicted grades for you. I’m surprised that haven’t told you this yet, I’d talk to your teacher about it

^^ this was how we did it last year, I assume it’s the same

Okay thank you, for some reason my ucas coordinator at school told me to fill it in and I was kinda confused
Reply 4
Also can I ask my school/teachers what my final predicted grades are? My maths teacher still hasn't submitted my final predicted grade even though she knows I am early entry!!
Reply 5
Original post by Idk131
Also can I ask my school/teachers what my final predicted grades are? My maths teacher still hasn't submitted my final predicted grade even though she knows I am early entry!!

Yeah just ask them. My school let us choose our own predicted grades
Reply 6
Original post by jjess(:

Whatt?! If we got to choose predicted grades, everyone would predict themselves an A*

what is this madness??
Original post by jjess(:

I wonder how many didn't opt for A*A*A*?
Reply 8
Original post by Idk131
Whatt?! If we got to choose predicted grades, everyone would predict themselves an A*

what is this madness??

Original post by DataVenia
I wonder how many didn't opt for A*A*A*?

When we chose them we had to have a “meeting”/talk with our head of year and talk about our predicted grades. He made sure we weren’t overly ambitious haha, but also let us aim a bit higher if we wanted to. Most people just put what the teachers predicted us to be or one grade higher than that
Reply 9
Original post by jjess(:
When we chose them we had to have a “meeting”/talk with our head of year and talk about our predicted grades. He made sure we weren’t overly ambitious haha, but also let us aim a bit higher if we wanted to. Most people just put what the teachers predicted us to be or one grade higher than that

That's not fair, my school is so strict and don't really give ambitious predicted grades- only realistic ones
Original post by jjess(:

What? That's incredibly unprofessional. I am held to account for my prredictions which ensures they are realistic. This means students meet their firm offers and don't end up in clearing.
Original post by Idk131
That's not fair, my school is so strict and don't really give ambitious predicted grades- only realistic ones

If we did put our grades higher than our teachers predicted we were pushed to achieve those higher grades. But yeah I totally agree, it’s not fair that some schools are more laid back than others
Original post by Muttley79
What? That's incredibly unprofessional. I am held to account for my prredictions which ensures they are realistic. This means students meet their firm offers and don't end up in clearing.

I think that’s why they let us choose them. My sixth form treated us like adults and not just students so they let us make our own decisions but we were also told that if we put our predicted grades higher we needed to meet them/ work even harder to achieve them. They were giving us responsibility.
Edit: also, we all knew that putting our grades way higher than we were capable of would just hurt us so no one put stupid grades (that I can remember anyway), we either put what our teachers recommended or one grade above that
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by jjess(:
I think that’s why they let us choose them. My sixth form treated us like adults and not just students so they let us make our own decisions but we were also told that if we put our predicted grades higher we needed to meet them/ work even harder to achieve them. They were giving us responsibility.
Edit: also, we all knew that putting our grades way higher than we were capable of would just hurt us so no one put stupid grades (that I can remember anyway), we either put what our teachers recommended or one grade above that

How many ended up in clearing at your school? You aren;t an adult until you are 18 ... in a school near me they'd all predict themselves A*s -
How many ended up in clearing at your school? You aren;t an adult until you are 18 ... in a school near me they'd all predict themselves A*s -

I’m only aware of a couple of people who went through clearing, I’m sure there’s more that I don’t know of. No one predicted themselves higher than what they were capable of, our school trusted us to be responsible and it worked. Because our sixth form treated us like adults (to get us used to how we’ll be treated after a levels) we acted like adults and weren’t stupid with our predictions. We were given a lot of responsibility throughout the whole of sixth form from the start so maybe that helped
Original post by jjess(:
I’m only aware of a couple of people who went through clearing, I’m sure there’s more that I don’t know of. No one predicted themselves higher than what they were capable of, our school trusted us to be responsible and it worked. Because our sixth form treated us like adults (to get us used to how we’ll be treated after a levels) we acted like adults and weren’t stupid with our predictions. We were given a lot of responsibility throughout the whole of sixth form from the start so maybe that helped

So did they allow students to choose their TAGs as well ... you can treat people as adults but the final decision has to sit with the teacher over grades as the school's reputation with universties requires it. UCAS is clear that teachers are supposed to predict not students.
(edited 1 year ago)
So did they allow students to choose their TAGs as well ... you can treat people as adults but the final decision has to sit with the teacher over grades as the school's reputation with universties requires it. UCAS is clear that teachers are supposed to predict not students.

I assume no as I don’t know what TAGs are 😭😂 if we predicted ourselves higher than what our teachers predicted, we had to prove/explain to our head of year why we think we can get higher and what we will do to achieve that. We were told that if we wanted to put our grades as way higher than what we were likely to achieve that they wouldn’t do it. They only allowed us to go one grade above maximum and many people pushed themselves and achieved it.

Don’t get me wrong, I do agree with you. I don’t think we should have been allowed to choose them. It should have been based on what the teachers thought we were capable of as they know the exams and exam boards best. My school was just weird
Original post by jjess(:
I assume no as I don’t know what TAGs are 😭😂 if we predicted ourselves higher than what our teachers predicted, we had to prove/explain to our head of year why we think we can get higher and what we will do to achieve that. We were told that if we wanted to put our grades as way higher than what we were likely to achieve that they wouldn’t do it. They only allowed us to go one grade above maximum and many people pushed themselves and achieved it.

Teacher assessed grades ie what students got in 2020 and 2021 with no 'real' exams - there is a private school near me that did allow students to chose their grades and got away with it.
Teacher assessed grades ie what students got in 2020 and 2021 with no 'real' exams - there is a private school near me that did allow students to chose their grades and got away with it.

Oh no, we didn’t get to choose those. At my school TAGs were done by a computer

Quick Reply