The Student Room Group

Social History EPQ Ideas

Hi, I am planning on taking an EPQ in History, starting after half term. I want to focus around modern British social history (ie. history centred around working class people), as it is what is of most interest to me, but I am unsure as to what would make for a compelling project. Open to any and all suggestions!
what aspects of history interest you? religion, culture, politics, economics etc
Original post by HoldThisL
what aspects of history interest you? religion, culture, politics, economics etc

mostly culture and politics!
So my epq was also a social history topic but challenges to heteronormativity in the post war period. Sorry if my points make no sense, my brain isn’t working today

I would off the top of my head have a think about:

- what type of sources do you want to consult? - as you will know different sources have their strengths and weakness. Possible you could look at for example, attitudes to working class individuals in two different source types e.g newspaper articles & posters.

- what aspect of working class history would you like to focus on, you could look at changing lifestyles of a [career/job] - e.g coal mining or perceptions of coal miners or factory workers.

- reception of working class people in politics or changing perceptions. When did working class become the working class? Different definitions of working class (e.g labouring class, working class) or not?

You definitely have a good topic to focus on but you will need to try and narrow it down, what interests you the most about social history? what do you want to get out of an epq? What draws you to looking at working class history - do you have any particular experiences that you could draw upon? do you have a favourite time period or era (that you could look at)?
Original post by neonbarbedwire

could look at how increased interconnectedness has changed political beliefs. thats a wide open question - you could be investigating: migration, technology, or changing population structures as factors just to name a few
Original post by neonbarbedwire

Some of these questions are just things to think about and not necessarily my viewpoint

You could look at working class “culture” in some ways and how that has changed over time? What even is working class culture, is there one? Has politics changed what it means to be working class - as people move around social classes anymore? Is the ‘working class’ a dying concept as more people become ‘middle class’? The rise of trade unions.

The demonisation of the working class in modern media, and how that has changed over the course of the century.

Why do some people maintain they’re working class, when they no longer are?

A random Point - I would look at the book chavs by Owen Jones, a good read. If you would like something to read about the politics of the working class in modern Britain
Original post by palaeolivic
So my epq was also a social history topic but challenges to heteronormativity in the post war period. Sorry if my points make no sense, my brain isn’t working today

I would off the top of my head have a think about:

- what type of sources do you want to consult? - as you will know different sources have their strengths and weakness. Possible you could look at for example, attitudes to working class individuals in two different source types e.g newspaper articles & posters.

- what aspect of working class history would you like to focus on, you could look at changing lifestyles of a [career/job] - e.g coal mining or perceptions of coal miners or factory workers.

- reception of working class people in politics or changing perceptions. When did working class become the working class? Different definitions of working class (e.g labouring class, working class) or not?

You definitely have a good topic to focus on but you will need to try and narrow it down, what interests you the most about social history? what do you want to get out of an epq? What draws you to looking at working class history - do you have any particular experiences that you could draw upon? do you have a favourite time period or era (that you could look at)?

Thank you so much for this! I'm mostly interested in the representation side of things, at one point I had an idea about the representation of feminism in anti-Suffrage propaganda, and comparing it to the fearmongering from right-wing media surrounding feminism which exists today, but I was told that idea might get shut down for being slightly too controversial. So I'm thinking I could maybe focus on the changing representations of working class women throughout the 20th century, but that's still very broad. Your topic sounds so interesting, by the way!!

Quick Reply

Latest