The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham or UCL?

I can't decide between the two. I want to study English at uni, but I'd like to get a career in the film/entertainment industry, I know that UCL is known for having good connections with broadcasting, but Durham has a great film society. I'm not sure which to pick.
I believe you have understood that exposure/connection with the field is very important in developing career in film/entertainment industry. Therefore, one of the considerations is not only about the uni., but also the place that is strategically better to generate your exposure and connection. I guess London should be a very (if the most) place for this purpose.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by danimototo
I can't decide between the two. I want to study English at uni, but I'd like to get a career in the film/entertainment industry, I know that UCL is known for having good connections with broadcasting, but Durham has a great film society. I'm not sure which to pick.

Durham is defo a better uni for English, I'm pretty sure they'd be the best after Oxbridge, and I think connections particularly for film/entertainment would be better ar Durham.
I see, thanks for your sharing. :smile:

I may be misled by some surveys, in there UCL is ranked 3 in languages, Lit and Linguistics, and Durham is 20+; another one ranks UCL 4 in English, and Durham is 10+. In Communication and Media Studies, many unis in London are among Top 20-30, including most of the UoL colleges, but can't see Durham is there. Probably these studies have some blind-points that we should be aware? :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Yat Yat
I see, thanks for your sharing. :smile:

I may be misled by some surveys, in there UCL is ranked 3 in languages, Lit and Linguistics, and Durham is 20+; another one ranks UCL 4 in English, and Durham is 10+. In Communication and Media Studies, many unis in London are among Top 20-30, including most of the UoL colleges, but can't see Durham is there. Probably these studies have some blind-points that we should be aware? :smile:

Small correction it's UoL universities, not colleges (this is the UK).
The most common university guide is the Guardian, they rank Durham 4th for English and surprisingly UCL 6th. UCL is a good uni ranked 9 overall, whereas Durham is ranked 5th. It's common knowledge that Durham has a much more reputable English department, and I don't think UCL is comparable, apart from being in London there is really nothing going for it in terms of its English department.

Apply to both then select when you have offers.
Original post by Anonymous
Small correction it's UoL universities, not colleges (this is the UK).
The most common university guide is the Guardian, they rank Durham 4th for English and surprisingly UCL 6th. UCL is a good uni ranked 9 overall, whereas Durham is ranked 5th. It's common knowledge that Durham has a much more reputable English department, and I don't think UCL is comparable, apart from being in London there is really nothing going for it in terms of its English department.

Thank you very much for your detailed reply, though I am not sure if your 'correction' is a correct one or not, exclusively (since you said I should be corrected). BTW, I am a UK resident, and I am a student of one of the UoL colleges. I know 'college' is an old-fashioned term, but until today the formal documents of our college is still using it as the title of our institution. I guess King's College London is still using the term 'college', and also in UCL and Royal Veterinary College, right? Some of us are using an 'older' term 'school', such as LSE, LBS and SOAS; some are using 'academy', 'institute'... so on. Do alumni need to be corrected if they call their alma mater 'school'? It's really rare to come across your term 'University of London universities' to call ourselves in our official documents. Thank you for your reminder, but I am not sure if we should be 'corrected' when we do not call ourselves 'University of London universities'..., because it is the only 'correct' way to use? This is not a thread that is appropriate to fall into the aged long debate about UoL 'is a federal university, consisting 17 independent institutions':biggrin:. Unfortunately, before I am for sure your 'correction' is the only way we should call ourselves, I (as well as a very large number of UoL alumni) might feel a bit difficult to quit the old way.

Let's go back to the OP's concern. You like very much to say 'defo', 'common knowledge', 'sure'... but you seldom share with us your evidence. I am not as confident as you. I checked and shared my info before I speak. I am not 'superstitious' to tables of ratings, but as a kicking off, I guess they are OK as one of the references, and looks you don't mind too. When you said 'the most common university guide is the Guardian', may I have doubt? Check TSR here, CUG is more widely quoted than the Guardian. The Guardian's one is respected, but people also see that it mainly emphasises on students' satisfaction. It may not be wrong, but if we prefer more comprehensive references (including research, graduate's employability, institution's internationalisation...), people (especially in international level) may pay more attention to CUG, THE and QS, but not the Guardian. I said UCL is ranked 4 in English and Durham is beyond 10, it's from QS2022. Your last reply did not mention about film and entertainment anymore (one of the OP's concerns). I said most of UoL members (oops, would this term makes you feel better? :biggrin:) are ranked high in this field but can't see Durham there, is from CUG2023. Actually in CUG2023, Durham and UCL are ranked 3 and 5 in English; in some aspects UCL scores high than Durham (e.g. research quality and students' satisfaction). I lack of evidence to share your claim that UCL is not comparable to Durham. Please note that I didn't say QS and CUG must be correct (I don't have confidence to 'correct' other so easily), and I've never said 'defo', for 'sure', it's 'common knowledge' that UCL must be better than Durham. I just try to share information, but try not to share passion only without evidence.

Just my two pennies. Good afternoon!

Not sure if you have read the following thread yet. It's 5 months ago, very similar concern of yours. Views are different to each other, but many of them provided very valuable explanation and evidence to back up their view. Very worthwhile to read. Good luck.:crossedf:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7199563

Quick Reply

Latest