Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been able to do all other questions, but this one threw me:no: :

A manufacturer plans to produce an airbag of capacity 70 dm^3. Assuming that the temperature of Nitrogen gas in the airbag is 40C, and that the pressure inside the bag when fully inflated is 150000Pa, calculate:

a) the number of moles of nitrogen needed
    which i found to be 4.04 mol (3sf)

b) the number of moles of sodium azide required

c) the mass of sodium azide needed.

but im not sure how to work out the last 2, at the top it said "You need to find out what sodium azide is and how it can produce nitrogen":confused:

And while on the topic...i was wondering about this question,

2HCl + Mg -> MgCl2 + H2

the number of moles for HCl is 0.5, so the number of moles for hydrogen would be 0.25. so to find the mass, would it be 0.25?

Thanks for your help on either/both question(s)!!!

Sana x

ReputationRep:
    For the first question 2NaN3 --> 2Na + 3N2 - so two moles of solid sodium azide produces 3 moles of nitrogen gas

for the second question 0.5 moles does indeed produce 0.25 moles of hydrogen gas (H2) so now find the mas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)
    For the first question 2NaN3 --> 2Na + 3N2 - so two moles of solid sodium azide produces 3 moles of nitrogen gas

for the second question 0.5 moles does indeed produce 0.25 moles of hydrogen gas (H2) so now find the mas

ooooh thats great!! thankyou so much for your help!

could you possibly tell me what sodium azide is? and also for the second question, i meant was the mass 0.25 as the Mr is 1?

Thankyou again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by just_sanaa)
    ooooh thats great!! thankyou so much for your help!

could you possibly tell me what sodium azide is? and also for the second question, i meant was the mass 0.25 as the Mr is 1?

Thankyou again!
    sodium azide is (Na)+(N=N=N)-

I knew what you mean't - but remember there are two hydrogens in the gas molecule

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.