The Student Room Group

Liverpool medicine

Hi guys, I am interested in applying to Liverpool and I got a ucat score of 2730 b3. However, I am confused about how they rank applicants? Apparently they are now a UCAT rank uni and my question is for 2022 entry did Liverpool score GCSEs & UCAT or did they do similar to what they are going to do for 2023 entry ?
Also do you think my ucat score is okay for interview at Liverpool?
Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question - or may be a better place to post your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2023 Admissions Tests:
UCAT 2023 Discussion
BMAT 2023 Discussion
GAMSAT 2023 Discussion
UCAT 2023 Results

Other application years:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Reply 2
Original post by DreamingofMedic
Hi guys, I am interested in applying to Liverpool and I got a ucat score of 2730 b3. However, I am confused about how they rank applicants? Apparently they are now a UCAT rank uni and my question is for 2022 entry did Liverpool score GCSEs & UCAT or did they do similar to what they are going to do for 2023 entry ?
Also do you think my ucat score is okay for interview at Liverpool?

Liverpool "score" GCSEs, but you only have to meet the threshold of 15 points (essentially 6 x 7/8/9 and 3 x 6). If you meet that threshold, applicants are then ranked on UCAT. This is what they did last year, too.
Cut off last year was 2620
Hi, Do you anticipate this cutoff to increase for next year? I have a ucat of 2640 and unsure on wether to apply. Thanks in advance
Original post by GANFYD
Liverpool "score" GCSEs, but you only have to meet the threshold of 15 points (essentially 6 x 7/8/9 and 3 x 6). If you meet that threshold, applicants are then ranked on UCAT. This is what they did last year, too.
Cut off last year was 2620
Reply 4
Original post by K2med2022
Hi, Do you anticipate this cutoff to increase for next year? I have a ucat of 2640 and unsure on wether to apply. Thanks in advance

I htink there may be a bit of a domino effect, as people move down to safer med schools, given recent high cut offs, but Liverpool is one of the lower UCAT requiring med schools historically, so I am not sure there is a lower-requiring alternative?
Many thanks for this, I managed to calculate a score of 124 for the university of Nottingham (happy to apply to A10L Lincoln if they have a lower cut off) and a score of 31.5 WP at Aston, would you you recommend those as a safer option then Liverpool with my Ucat (2640)
Original post by GANFYD
I htink there may be a bit of a domino effect, as people move down to safer med schools, given recent high cut offs, but Liverpool is one of the lower UCAT requiring med schools historically, so I am not sure there is a lower-requiring alternative?
Reply 6
Many thanks for this, I managed to calculate a score of 124 for the university of Nottingham (happy to apply to A10L Lincoln if they have a lower cut off) and a score of 31.5 WP at Aston, would you you recommend those as a safer option then Liverpool with my Ucat (2640)

I think it unlikely 124 will make Nottingham's cut, but hopefully will for Lincoln
Aston's WP cut off seemed to be around 31 last year, but GCSE grade inflation may be relevant with their high weighting on them
Thanks for getting back to me, overall I am still in a bit of a predicament on which med schools to apply to. If you could advise that would be great with my stats and also taking into account my contextual info:
GCSEs: 2 9s, 6 grade 8s, Grade A- Gujarati
A levels achieved AAA : Chemistry, Biology, Maths
UCAT:
Got a score of 2640
VR- 520
DM- 690
QR-740
AR- 690
SJT- Band1

Currently considering: Aston WP 31.5 A10L Lincoln (score 124) HYMS- Score 84 with contextual Liverpool/ Plymouth as close to last year cut-offs. Finally St Andrews as I score 2904 B1 with 10% uplift as contextual

Contexuals/WP: Non-selective state school, first generation in family to higher education, UCAT bursary, Low income household

Would be great if you are aware of any other unis which lower their ucat threshold for WP/Contextual which I am close to or any other recommendations you have.
Original post by GANFYD
I think it unlikely 124 will make Nottingham's cut, but hopefully will for Lincoln
Aston's WP cut off seemed to be around 31 last year, but GCSE grade inflation may be relevant with their high weighting on them
Reply 8
Thanks for getting back to me, overall I am still in a bit of a predicament on which med schools to apply to. If you could advise that would be great with my stats and also taking into account my contextual info:
GCSEs: 2 9s, 6 grade 8s, Grade A- Gujarati
A levels achieved AAA : Chemistry, Biology, Maths
UCAT:
Got a score of 2640
VR- 520
DM- 690
QR-740
AR- 690
SJT- Band1

Currently considering: Aston WP 31.5 A10L Lincoln (score 124) HYMS- Score 84 with contextual Liverpool/ Plymouth as close to last year cut-offs. Finally St Andrews as I score 2904 B1 with 10% uplift as contextual

Contexuals/WP: Non-selective state school, first generation in family to higher education, UCAT bursary, Low income household

Would be great if you are aware of any other unis which lower their ucat threshold for WP/Contextual which I am close to or any other recommendations you have.

This is the Liverpool thread, and discussion of other choices would take if off topic, which is against TSR rules, so you need to post in the which med school thread
I have just put on the which med school thread, would be great if you could advise. Many thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest