The Student Room Group

philosophy help

i am in year 13 and i got a C in my year 12 exam, please give me study tips for the end of year exams, especially for 25 mark questions.
is this for aqa philosophy a level? i can help if so
Original post by KhaoticCarnage
is this for aqa philosophy a level? i can help if so

yes, it is!
for 25 marker:

They want an ANSWER TO THE EXACT QUESTION. They want a philosophical argument looking at different arguments/criticisms and evaluating/weighting them. Useful to do a quick plan (For all topics [revision] and do a quick plan in actual exam.) Proofread at end.
If useful and you like it, use SEGAL (/ SEGARL / SEGAGAGAGAL)
State what you think
Explain the arguments/issues under examination briefly
Give a criticism of the argument.
Analyse criticisms.
Repeat G and A. MAKE AN ARGUMENT.
Land on your own conclusion.

Revision notes:
https://philosophyalevel.com/aqa-philosophy-revision-notes/#Mind

Revision:
Do practice plans for all topics
Do practice papers and questions (give these for your teacher to mark
Read example papers, and analyse what’s good about them, that you’re missing about yours
Talk to your lecturer, ask how you can improve; they’re there to help
Make sure you can remember all arguments, do mind maps, make sure you know all of the things you need to know

What to avoid:
Don’t include your opinions (I think… I don’t like.. etc)
Don’t discredit the argument before you introduce it. You want to introduce the arguments and then criticise them.
Don’t say the names of the argument and then describe it, instead, introduce the idea of the argument, and say this argument is known as “___”

What to include:
Relate each argument to the question; if the question is “does utilitarianism work”, then you want to say how the argument either supports or refutes the utilitarian view
Be critical; don’t be afraid to criticise the thinkers, be specific how their arguments are flawed, (for example, the utility calculus is subjective, and therefore inaccurate in guiding us on how we should act, each person would use it differently, and thus it’s useless and inefficient in providing us with a good guidance on how we should act ethically.)
I got A in philosophy, and that worked for me
if you need anything else lmk
Original post by KhaoticCarnage
for 25 marker:

They want an ANSWER TO THE EXACT QUESTION. They want a philosophical argument looking at different arguments/criticisms and evaluating/weighting them. Useful to do a quick plan (For all topics [revision] and do a quick plan in actual exam.) Proofread at end.
If useful and you like it, use SEGAL (/ SEGARL / SEGAGAGAGAL)
State what you think
Explain the arguments/issues under examination briefly
Give a criticism of the argument.
Analyse criticisms.
Repeat G and A. MAKE AN ARGUMENT.
Land on your own conclusion.

Revision notes:
https://philosophyalevel.com/aqa-philosophy-revision-notes/#Mind

Revision:
Do practice plans for all topics
Do practice papers and questions (give these for your teacher to mark
Read example papers, and analyse what’s good about them, that you’re missing about yours
Talk to your lecturer, ask how you can improve; they’re there to help
Make sure you can remember all arguments, do mind maps, make sure you know all of the things you need to know

What to avoid:
Don’t include your opinions (I think… I don’t like.. etc)
Don’t discredit the argument before you introduce it. You want to introduce the arguments and then criticise them.
Don’t say the names of the argument and then describe it, instead, introduce the idea of the argument, and say this argument is known as “___”

What to include:
Relate each argument to the question; if the question is “does utilitarianism work”, then you want to say how the argument either supports or refutes the utilitarian view
Be critical; don’t be afraid to criticise the thinkers, be specific how their arguments are flawed, (for example, the utility calculus is subjective, and therefore inaccurate in guiding us on how we should act, each person would use it differently, and thus it’s useless and inefficient in providing us with a good guidance on how we should act ethically.)

this is great, thank you so much! Can you also give me tips on how to evaluate, i can't seem to get higher than ten marks!
introduce an argument; i.e Locke’s primary and secondary principles/distinctions
introduce a good point about it; i.e it supports the idea of sense data and thereby supports indirect realism
introduce a bad point about it; i.e berkeley’s attack on the primary and secondary districtions, and how it leads to idealism/ scepticism
make a final judgement, answer the question

•introduce a new argument, and repeat
ty
(edited 1 year ago)
i did above :smile:.
Original post by username566702
can you give me tips on how to evaluate, i can never get past 10/25

Quick Reply

Latest