Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My sixth-form are organising a party for disabled children aged 7-10.
    However, we are completly stuck on finding a good theme and 'safe' things to put in their party bags...
    Any ideas??

ReputationRep:
    Jungle theme. You could have face painting. Tigers, lions that sort of thing. No idea what you would put in a party bag though.

ReputationRep:
    How disabled are these kids?
    Are they physically or mentally disabled?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superfical space cadet)
    How disabled are these kids?
    Are they physically or mentally disabled?
    Mostly mentally disabled

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedDragon)
    Jungle theme. You could have face painting. Tigers, lions that sort of thing. No idea what you would put in a party bag though.
    Yeah, I'd just stick to something generic like that. Maybe a wizard theme etc

ReputationRep:
    I think face painting sounds fun actually now it's been mentioned! Cos that's good for both genders, and you could make it animals to add a bit more fun

ReputationRep:
    Jungle or magic theme both sounds good.

If jungle, you can facepaint them there and then and play some fun games, tell interactive stories (along the lines of, 'we're going on a bear hunt' but a jungle themed version) but also make masks with them to take home in the goody bag. You could also put in things that make noise, like a those party blower things. I'll have to have a think about other things to put in the bag.

Kids with mental disabilities (obviously dependent on each child) like lights (as long as they don't also have epilepsy) and music and singing and dancing. You could have musical instruments like tambourines and drums and maracas so they can join in with party songs (noisy but fun). Get a disco light ball and it should be entertaining and seem like a proper party.

Best thing to do, is get completely clued up on what sort of disabilities they have, what sort of limitations this gives them, and then maybe search homeschooling websites for fun activities.

ReputationRep:
    Musical chairs for children with wheelchairs for sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the__billy)
    Musical chairs for children with wheelchairs for sure.
    ...Has that made you feel better?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think an animal theme would be good. You could get them one of those little plastic aninal from toys r us pocket money section for the party bags and then maybe some sweets and games. You could bake a cake as well like this one http://www.siansdecorativecakes.co.u...pages/lion.htm

you could play jungle games and the decorations would be easy.

Big Tesco's have really good things for party bags in their birthday sections. I wouldnt worry too much about themeing everything though. I would just give one or two jungle things then fill up with little games/ bouncy balls etc (obviously depending on what is appropriate to give the kids)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marshey)
    ...Has that made you feel better?
    I would like to say no but the answer is yes. ( I am joking by the way before I get hounded).

ReputationRep:
    I would like to say no but the answer is yes. ( I am joking by the way before I get hounded).
    Lol! I know mate, I have to say I was thinking it too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lychee)
    Yeah I think an animal theme would be good. You could get them one of those little plastic aninal from toys r us pocket money section for the party bags and then maybe some sweets and games. You could bake a cake as well like this one http://www.siansdecorativecakes.co.u...pages/lion.htm

you could play jungle games and the decorations would be easy.

Big Tesco's have really good things for party bags in their birthday sections. I wouldnt worry too much about themeing everything though. I would just give one or two jungle things then fill up with little games/ bouncy balls etc (obviously depending on what is appropriate to give the kids)
    tescos have a great cheecky monkey cake (its chocolate) - im getting it for an 18th birthday thing with my family next weekend!

ReputationRep:
    Musical wheelchairs?

Just kidding.

I like the jungle theme.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lemily)
    Jungle or magic theme both sounds good.

If jungle, you can facepaint them there and then and play some fun games, tell interactive stories (along the lines of, 'we're going on a bear hunt' but a jungle themed version) but also make masks with them to take home in the goody bag. You could also put in things that make noise, like a those party blower things. I'll have to have a think about other things to put in the bag.

Kids with mental disabilities (obviously dependent on each child) like lights (as long as they don't also have epilepsy) and music and singing and dancing. You could have musical instruments like tambourines and drums and maracas so they can join in with party songs (noisy but fun). Get a disco light ball and it should be entertaining and seem like a proper party.

Best thing to do, is get completely clued up on what sort of disabilities they have, what sort of limitations this gives them, and then maybe search homeschooling websites for fun activities.
    This sounds good. The jungle theme seems really good. It will be something they can really identify with and they'll all be pretending to be lions and tigers and monkeys and stuff. Ahhh sounds fun But facepainting is an awesome idea, or masks and you could decorate where ever you're having the party in a jungle theme.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NW8_SW1_EC3)
    Musical wheelchairs?

Just kidding.

I like the jungle theme.

Beat you to it mate

ReputationRep:
    Beat you to it mate
    Ah damn, just scrolled up and saw what you meant.

ReputationRep:
    Could have a hardcore slipknot party like these guys: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=IUVOXcDRo2E

ReputationRep:
    Go for jungle theme, sounds like a really good idea. You could put small stuffed jungle animals in the party bags... and maybe tapes of jungle-related bedtime stories if appropriate

ReputationRep:
    Just play it safe and hire a clown.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.