Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Bachelor)
    This is kind of circular, as you require the limit to prove the derivative is cos in the first place.
    You're joking right?
    Care to read the rest of the thread? Or at least a few posts above yours? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drederick Tatum)
    sin x is usually defined as the limit x-(x^3)/3!+(x^5)/5! -...
    (so sin x is well defined for all real x by, for example, the ratio test)
    Then, by writing out the function (sin x)/x using the definition of sin x, the proof that (sin x)/x tends to 1 as x tends to zero is clear.
    This might be circular, as deriving the series requires knowledge of the derivative. However, I suppose one can also derive the unit circle properties starting from the series as the definition.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by SimonM)
    Ok, so why do you go on to proceed with invalid and irrelevant arguments involving the theory of education?
    This is getting tiresome. The OP did not know about L'Hopital's Rule. Now she knows about L'Hopitals' Rule. That is not a bad thing.

You suggested there is a "proper" way for each mathematical topic to be taught and that was the statement I was challenging. I was not attempting to defend the use of L'Hopital. A knowledge of educational theory is relevant as you have very little understanding of the way people learn. It is very individual (look up Howard Gardner) and quality learning routinely occurs in the absence of any teaching at all.

Please ignore the other stuff I said. I had a difficult week and am somewhat preoccupied.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Horizontal 8)
    You're joking right?
    Care to read the rest of the thread? Or at least a few posts above yours? :p:

Are you arguing that it is not circular, or that you don't care?

Most of the time, this limit is only used when trying to figure out the derivative of sin. So it doesn't really make sense to go "oh the derivative of sin is cos so i'll just use L'hopital's rule and here's the limit and thereby I prove the derivative of sin is cos."

(In fact, it doesn't make sense in any other situation, but here it blatantly does not make sense.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    This is getting tiresome. The OP did not know about L'Hopital's Rule. Now she knows about L'Hopitals' Rule. That is not a bad thing.

You suggested there is a "proper" way for each mathematical topic to be taught and that was the statement I was challenging. I was not attempting to defend the use of L'Hopital. A knowledge of educational theory is relevant as you have very little understanding of the way people learn. It is very individual (look up Howard Gardner) and quality learning routinely occurs in the absence of any teaching at all.

Please ignore the other stuff I said. I had a difficult week and am somewhat preoccupied.
    OK, I realise that I phrased that statement badly. I also accept that Hathalan learning L'Hopital's rule is a benefit for a different reason. I will indeed have a look at the references mentioned.

No hard feelings?

Most of the proofs in this thread are circular.

(I'll get my coat.)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by SimonM)
    OK, I realise that I phrased that statement badly. I also accept that Hathalan learning L'Hopital's rule is a benefit for a different reason. I will indeed have a look at the references mentioned.

No hard feelings?
    Absolutely not.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Glutamic Acid)
    Most of the proofs in this thread are circular.

(I'll get my coat.)
    That was actually quite good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Bachelor)
    Are you arguing that it is not circular, or that you don't care?

Most of the time, this limit is only used when trying to figure out the derivative of sin. So it doesn't really make sense to go "oh the derivative of sin is cos so i'll just use L'hopital's rule and here's the limit and thereby I prove the derivative of sin is cos."

(In fact, it doesn't make sense in any other situation, but here it blatantly does not make sense.)
    Neither I'm just pointing out that the point you brought up was in great discussion already :p: Thanks for the insight nevertheless.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 15, 2008
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.