The Student Room Group

Is it bad that I drink everyday?

I just got my apartment a year ago and Lately I have been drinking every single day! For the past 6 months I been drinking daily. I drink at clubs with my friends because I have never had this much freedom in my life! Some old lady told me that it was bad..but how? Im 23 years old! Im young i”m not old ! I don’t Blame to stop until 35!
Yes, it is bad. You probably already developed an addiction
It's not about your age, it's not healthy to drink every day! You're going to seriously mess up your liver.
Original post by Anonymous
I just got my apartment a year ago and Lately I have been drinking every single day! For the past 6 months I been drinking daily. I drink at clubs with my friends because I have never had this much freedom in my life! Some old lady told me that it was bad..but how? Im 23 years old! Im young i”m not old ! I don’t Blame to stop until 35!

stop before the effects seriously affect your life. my friends 16 and has been drinking heavily + smoking since she was like 13-14 and shes coughing up blood on the regular. its not a good thing.
Reply 4
While it’s not uncommon to drink too much in the circumstances you describe, and you can get away with this for a good while, you’re right to question it. If the quantity each day is sufficient there is a real possibility of harm and there is always the risk of developing dependency. I would reduce. There are some good quality alcohol free alternatives now that you could have some times when you go out.

‘Why is it bad?’

its alcohol which is a poison - thats why.
(edited 1 year ago)
Yeah addiction doesn't give a monkeys about whether you are in your 20s or not buddy. Some young drinkers are just evidently marked for early aging and death.

If you value your health/future then you'll stop drinking completely/limit it
Daily drinking is harmful to your liver regardless of age. When the effects wear down, you’ll drink more and more to have the same sensation. I suspect that’s already started if you’ve been drinking daily for months. Then, when the negative impacts start, you won’t notice the difference and you’ll accuse everyone telling you to quit of being ridiculous or overly concerned because you’re young, you’re healthy, and you can’t get addicted to alcohol yet.

Cut down so that you remain within the recommendation of 14 units a week (by skipping days or just drinking less) or stop completely before it gets worse. Your youthful health does not last forever, so prioritise your future.

It's more nuanced than this, really. Someone can 'drink every day' and still be in control of their drinking and not have a problem. Equally, someone can only drink 'once or twice a week' and have a massive alcohol problem.

How do you feel about your drinking? It's obviously on your mind, or you wouldn't have made this post (despite what 'The Old Lady' told you). Some things to think about (there's plenty more, but these are the ones that come to mind):

Have other people expressed any concerns or felt it necessary to mention how much you drink?

When you drink, how do you drink? Do you drink until you're generally blind drunk?

Do you get into trouble when you're drunk, like becoming obnoxious or aggressive?

Do you fail to do things that you need to during the day because of your drinking, like turning up to work on time?

Do you think you're personal relationships with a partner, friends or family is being affected by your drinking - and have any of these people mentioned your drinking?

I drink a fair bit - usually a G&T or a G&D before dinner, one or two small glasses of wine with dinner and sometimes some pudding wine, port or brandy afterwards. If I'm going to some sort of 'event', I'll have a few drinks and think nothing of it. Do I stick to 14 units weekly with one or two non-drinking days? Just about. But regardless of the 'exact' number of units I drink, I know I don't have a drink problem - and equally I know people who do have an obvious drink problem.

You need to examine your relationship with alcohol, and look at not just how much you're drinking, but why you are drinking how you do.
Think of the positives of cutting down alcohol consumption.
- can save some cash each week towards a holiday.
- better complexion and less risk of weight gain (as long as you also eat well)
- clear head in the mornings.
- reduce risk to your reputation. (Some people will avoid others who drink every day.)

If you drive you need to make sure you don't have remaining alcohol in your blood the morning after a night out.

Take care of yourself and try to find a good balance between being sensible & partying.

Well yeah it’s bad, not sure why it isn’t obvious
Not necessarily bad. :smile:
It depends how much you are drinking, what type of boozy drinks, how often you end up hungover/vomiting/telling lies about how many drinks you've had and whether you can choose to stop drinking all alcohol for 1-3 days without any inconvenience.

I am a carnage girl and consume alcohol most days, either directly through boozy drinks or included within baking & cooking.
I enjoy spirits and citrus free cocktails.
Have never been hungover, drunk or dependent upon alcohol to have fun.
I think whatever you age is it's doesn't matter drinking is not good for the health, specially alcohol is very bad it could be very harmful it destroy lungs and some other side effects as well..
You think your liver’s going to fine and suddenly start deteriorating at 35?? Of course not, you will damage it loads over the course of 12 years drinking. And anyway, if you drink that much over so long you almost certainly won’t be able to stop once you’re 35, that’s just putting off the problem.
Reply 15
Everyone enjoys a drink every now and then however drinking every day how you mentioned may negatively impact your brain chemicals. Alcohol increasing dopamine release which is your reward chemical hence why you keep going back to drinking to keep triggering that feel good effect. This article is good at explaining what alcohol can do to your brain ! https://brain-feed.com/blogs/the-science/5-effects-of-alcohol-on-the-brain-and-how-to-manage-them
Reply 16
It's not good but iu wouldn't call it bad, in of itself. It really depends how much you're drinking. A glass of wine (or whatever) a day is fine, in my book, knocking back a couple of bottles each night is problematic.
Unless people state the amounts and strength of the drinks then claiming a glass or two of wine is fine for example won't make much sense because one person could be have a 250ml glass of 14% wine and another might just have 125ml glass of 11% for example.

Quick Reply

Latest