Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    When people chose to not go out to war and were put in prison for it? I can't remember it and I'm trying to write an essay on a book which is set in London in the 1940's.

My sentence is:

''Women were seen as inferior to men. Homosexuality was forbidden at all costs as well as abortion and (that word!)''

ReputationRep:
    Conscientious Objectors?

ReputationRep:
    Such people are conscientious objectors.

ReputationRep:
    that's the one thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jinxy)
    that's the one thanks!
    Well, two actually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Well, two actually.
    Okay, if you want to be ever so precise. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Not sure that works in the sentance though. Conscientious Objectors were not 'forbidden at all costs' in the same way as abortion and homosexuality were, mainly because abortion or homosexuality is an act wheras CO is a moral stance/state of mind. I dont think CO's were arrested that much either. They tended to be offered roles in non combat positions (ambulance/manufacture/vital war workat home) it is only if they refused to help at all that they were arrested (or if they were pretending!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lychee)
    Not sure that works in the sentance though. Conscientious Objectors were not 'forbidden at all costs' in the same way as abortion and homosexuality were, mainly because abortion or homosexuality is an act wheras CO is a moral stance/state of mind. I dont think CO's were arrested that much either. They tended to be offered roles in non combat positions (ambulance/manufacture/vital war workat home) it is only if they refused to help at all that they were arrested (or if they were pretending!)
    Ah I see, I just wanted to find a way to sum it up in one sentence really, any ideas how I should re write it if it's slightly incorrect?

and is
    'Conscientious Objectory' a word lol?

ReputationRep:
    Don't think so!
    You could probably say that the gov't. disapproved of conscientious objectors?
    Maybe a harsher word than 'disapproved'...

ReputationRep:
    Pacifism? Pacifists (many of these were conscientious objectors)

ReputationRep:
    Women ... Homosexuality and abortion were forbidden at all costs and consciencious objectors were severly punished?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lychee)
    Women ... Homosexuality and abortion were forbidden at all costs and consciencious objectors were severly punished?

Thanks you!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.