The Student Room Group

A Level Edexcel Politics

Hello,
I am looking to self-study politics. Does anyone know any online self-study programs for Edexcel Politics? If not, Could anyone PM me with the contact details of your politics teachers details at school that teach Edexcel? Thank you
Have you tried contacting Pearson. edexcel directly through email if not I believe there are a few online colleges
Reply 2
Original post by rajaaghand
Hello,
I am looking to self-study politics. Does anyone know any online self-study programs for Edexcel Politics? If not, Could anyone PM me with the contact details of your politics teachers details at school that teach Edexcel? Thank you

Heya,

So a bit of context... I took all my GCSEs privately as a self taught student in literally 3 months and achieved 8, 9 to 6 grades, so it is most definitely possible.

There are a lot of excellent free resources out there once you look for it. Personally, I would only opt for paying for a tutor when it comes on to getting detailed feedback on your essays.

Content wise, Seneca Learning is an excellent tool. It gives you a range of examples and really condenses the content of the textbook. There is also a website called Pre-chewed Politics, which is paid for, but offers detailed videos on a topic by topic basis.

I have also painfully created a word document with a plethora of real world examples based on each topic which is regularly updated. I also use flashcards from quizlet that I have made based on each specification point.

Best of Luck!!!
Original post by sq_dans
Heya,

So a bit of context... I took all my GCSEs privately as a self taught student in literally 3 months and achieved 8, 9 to 6 grades, so it is most definitely possible.

There are a lot of excellent free resources out there once you look for it. Personally, I would only opt for paying for a tutor when it comes on to getting detailed feedback on your essays.

Content wise, Seneca Learning is an excellent tool. It gives you a range of examples and really condenses the content of the textbook. There is also a website called Pre-chewed Politics, which is paid for, but offers detailed videos on a topic by topic basis.

I have also painfully created a word document with a plethora of real world examples based on each topic which is regularly updated. I also use flashcards from quizlet that I have made based on each specification point.

Best of Luck!!!

Hi, I'm in year 12
do you have system for organising the word doc i.e split into papers as I have never heard/thought of the idea and think it is great ? Also do you just update it with info from BBCNews or other sources ?
Thank you !!
Reply 4
Original post by Freya.G
Hi, I'm in year 12
do you have system for organising the word doc i.e split into papers as I have never heard/thought of the idea and think it is great ? Also do you just update it with info from BBCNews or other sources ?
Thank you !!

So I organise it based off of the components. So component 1 is UK Politics, 2 is UK Government and 3 is USA (for me). Then I have subheadings. So component 1 is made up of democracy & participation, voting behaviour & the media, political parties and electoral systems. I follow this pattern for the rest of the components.

As for examples, it is not just The BBC. I read The Guardian, Sky News and you can get away with those tabloids occasionally lol. I usually screenshot a headline or an important quote and then whenever I have time I add it to the doc. So for example, under component 2, you'd find a topic called The Prime Minister and the Executive, so I have an entire section about the Tory leadership race and I've quoted Rishi Sunak as during his address he said MPs should "unite or die." That could be useful in an essay about the power of the PM, as you can bring in different themes such as the power of patronage. Just simple things like that.

You could always debate about current affairs within social groups or simply watch analysis which is great for AO3!!! *I personally love Beth Rigby*

I am currently in year 13 and I am predicted an A*, so feel free to private message as that would be a form of revision. I am happy to share more of my tips as I was once in your position :smile:
Original post by sq_dans
So I organise it based off of the components. So component 1 is UK Politics, 2 is UK Government and 3 is USA (for me). Then I have subheadings. So component 1 is made up of democracy & participation, voting behaviour & the media, political parties and electoral systems. I follow this pattern for the rest of the components.

As for examples, it is not just The BBC. I read The Guardian, Sky News and you can get away with those tabloids occasionally lol. I usually screenshot a headline or an important quote and then whenever I have time I add it to the doc. So for example, under component 2, you'd find a topic called The Prime Minister and the Executive, so I have an entire section about the Tory leadership race and I've quoted Rishi Sunak as during his address he said MPs should "unite or die." That could be useful in an essay about the power of the PM, as you can bring in different themes such as the power of patronage. Just simple things like that.

You could always debate about current affairs within social groups or simply watch analysis which is great for AO3!!! *I personally love Beth Rigby*

I am currently in year 13 and I am predicted an A*, so feel free to private message as that would be a form of revision. I am happy to share more of my tips as I was once in your position :smile:

Perfect thank you so much , I will likely message you with questions I have :smile:
Original post by sq_dans

Hey, I was just wondering, do you know of any good online resources for Edexcel A Level Government & Politics essay plans, and if so, where I can find them? I've started to realise that I've been revising ineffectively since GCSE, and that I'm much better off tactically tailoring my revision to the potential questions we will actually face rather than painstakingly revising my subjects back to front. I've recently been searching the internet for different resources but it's been a bit hit and miss.

Quick Reply

Latest