The Student Room Group

(23F) Anyone applying to Ruskin fine art at Oxford University :)?

I've just submitted my fine art application to Oxford and decided to put St.Johns as my college preference. Is anyone also applying to Ruskin this year?
I am a bit worried that I haven't done an art foundation, but I feel quite confident with my portfolio. Will it impact my application negatively if I haven't done one? Thanks in advance!

Scroll to see replies

Hi I just applied to Ruskin as well but to Queens college. At open day they said that they advise doing a foundation year as the jump from a levels to uni is quite big and it gives you a chance to develop your own work. However, I don’t think it will affect your application too much as they do take students straight from a levels if their portfolio is strong. I didn’t take a foundation year either so fingers crossed. Hope this sort of helped and good luck :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Joysswei
I've just submitted my fine art application to Oxford and decided to put St.Johns as my college preference. Is anyone also applying to Ruskin this year?
I am a bit worried that I haven't done an art foundation, but I feel quite confident with my portfolio. Will it impact my application negatively if I haven't done one? Thanks in advance!

My understanding is more that they see it as an art foundation often correlates with a strong portfolio, and so encourage/recommend it, but they have no issue accepting someone who didn't do an art foundation but has a strong portfolio anyway.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Angelisdreaming
Hi I just applied to Ruskin as well but to Queens college. At open day they said that they advise doing a foundation year as the jump from a levels to uni is quite big and it gives you a chance to develop your own work. However, I don’t think it will affect your application too much as they do take students straight from a levels if their portfolio is strong. I didn’t take a foundation year either so fingers crossed. Hope this sort of helped and good luck :smile:

Hi, thank you for your reply. Queens college is gorgeous!!! Hope you are doing well with portfolio submission and best of luck!

HI! I was just submitting my portfolio to Ruskins and saw this comment, I'm also applying to St John's 💀💀 How are you feeling about it?
Reply 5
Hey! I've already submitted my portfolio last Tuesday and I feel like I've tried my best. Finger Crossed that we both hear back from St Johns. How do you feel about ur application?
Original post by RainLight96
HI! I was just submitting my portfolio to Ruskins and saw this comment, I'm also applying to St John's 💀💀 How are you feeling about it?
Hi, thank you for your reply. Queens college is gorgeous!!! Hope you are doing well with portfolio submission and best of luck!

Hi just submitted it! Fingers crossed it’s okay - hope yours went well as well!
Hey! I've already submitted my portfolio last Tuesday and I feel like I've tried my best. Finger Crossed that we both hear back from St Johns. How do you feel about ur application?

I would be lying if I said I wasn't confident in my application, otherwise I probably would not have bothered applying, although I am still feeling anxious about it. Just a little worried about getting to the interview stage since the quality of portfolios have just been improving every year. Also I am basically only a painter which could make my portfolio less competitive. Hope we both hear back from St Johns haha!

Also you don't have to answer if it is too personal but what led you to consider the Oxford undergrad?
Reply 9
Don't Worry!! I've seen people who got in with mostly paintings and drawings, so that doesn't make you less competitive!

I would be lying if I said I wasn't confident in my application, otherwise I probably would not have bothered applying, although I am still feeling anxious about it. Just a little worried about getting to the interview stage since the quality of portfolios have just been improving every year. Also I am basically only a painter which could make my portfolio less competitive. Hope we both hear back from St Johns haha!
Reply 10
There are actually loads of factors that led me to this decision. I think the main reason (apart from the school's brilliant location) is the course's relatively small group and Oxford's unique tutorial system. Just out of interest, have you done an art foundation and would you recommend it (ps. you do not need to answer if you prefer not to :h:) as I might also apply to art foundations alongside my ucas application.

Also you don't have to answer if it is too personal but what led you to consider the Oxford undergrad?
There are actually loads of factors that led me to this decision. I think the main reason (apart from the school's brilliant location) is the course's relatively small group and Oxford's unique tutorial system. Just out of interest, have you done an art foundation and would you recommend it (ps. you do not need to answer if you prefer not to :h:) as I might also apply to art foundations alongside my ucas application.

Oops it looks like my response I sent earlier didn't go through, but I was just saying that I also did not complete an art foundation course, as I am applying directly from A Level. I would be very interested in doing one tho, I will probably do the same thing that you are thinking of and apply to foundation courses along side my UCAS choices. Have you done much reading in preparation for your application?
Reply 12
Oh because I am doing history of art A Level, so I did read quite a few books on art history and I also read some articles and journals for my EPQ essay (which is also about art), but not much outside the school or for the interview tho.
Oops it looks like my response I sent earlier didn't go through, but I was just saying that I also did not complete an art foundation course, as I am applying directly from A Level. I would be very interested in doing one tho, I will probably do the same thing that you are thinking of and apply to foundation courses along side my UCAS choices. Have you done much reading in preparation for your application?
Oh because I am doing history of art A Level, so I did read quite a few books on art history and I also read some articles and journals for my EPQ essay (which is also about art), but not much outside the school or for the interview tho.

Oh cool! Did u do another undergraduate degree before this then?
Reply 14
No I am still in yr 13 - directly applying from A-Levels.
Oh cool! Did u do another undergraduate degree before this then?
No I am still in yr 13 - directly applying from A-Levels.

You don't have to answer this if it is too personal but how come you are in year 13 while being 23, just curious how that works lol?

I am in the same boat as u then, I had the same question (as the original post which I never ended up answering) when I went to the open day about not doing foundation courses. Their answer was just that the A level curriculum is very structured, and the one year of foundation allows students to hit the ground running by having already experienced one year of (more or less) independent creation. It is more so that the student is not as lost (and also had a chance to explore their personal art creation for a whole year) than the strength of the portfolio itself, however of course that helps. If you can demonstrate that you have the drive and capability to keep yourself creating even without a goal sometimes, they will definitely take you seriously. The ratio of acceptance between A level and other students is about 30% directly from A level which is really not bad considering how much they recommend the foundation in every website/ advice /open day you can see. Probably going to be around the same this year since this ratio has stayed quite consistent over the past few years, Just gotta be one of the lucky 9 or 10 people applying straight from A level!!
Reply 16
Haha I never said I am 23 tho?? The title 23F stands for applying for courses starting in 2023 Fall. Apologize if I made that confusion (cuz my school calls it 23F application - sorry for the massive confusion!), I am currently 18 and doing my A-Levels.
Thank you so much for sharing all these!!! These statistics are all very helpful, really helped reassure my confidence lol!!! I believe interview invitations will be sent out shortly after next week, finger crossed that we both receive one!

You don't have to answer this if it is too personal but how come you are in year 13 while being 23, just curious how that works lol?

I am in the same boat as u then, I had the same question (as the original post which I never ended up answering) when I went to the open day about not doing foundation courses. Their answer was just that the A level curriculum is very structured, and the one year of foundation allows students to hit the ground running by having already experienced one year of (more or less) independent creation. It is more so that the student is not as lost (and also had a chance to explore their personal art creation for a whole year) than the strength of the portfolio itself, however of course that helps. If you can demonstrate that you have the drive and capability to keep yourself creating even without a goal sometimes, they will definitely take you seriously. The ratio of acceptance between A level and other students is about 30% directly from A level which is really not bad considering how much they recommend the foundation in every website/ advice /open day you can see. Probably going to be around the same this year since this ratio has stayed quite consistent over the past few years, Just gotta be one of the lucky 9 or 10 people applying straight from A level!!
Reply 17

Hiya, just seen this thread, I’ve applied to the Ruskin too, does anyone know when shortlisting for interviews takes place? X
You should get an email over the next week or two. I just got one from Queens and sadly got rejected. Good luck to you!
Original post by M.ba
Hiya, just seen this thread, I’ve applied to the Ruskin too, does anyone know when shortlisting for interviews takes place? X
Reply 19
Thankyou, got an email I’ve got an interveiw thank god, I saw ur in year 13? So I guess u can apply again next year, I’m doing foundation atm defo recommend :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest