The Student Room Group

Best A-Levels for PPL (Preferably Philosophy and Psychology)

Which one is the better choice of A-Levels for the PPL course (Psychology and Philosophy) at Oxford:

1: Biology, Chemistry, Maths
2: Biology, Chemistry, History

Thanks

Edit: Chosen my A Levels of Biology, Chemistry and RS.
Thanks
(edited 1 year ago)
the second one i guess but you should probably study psychology and philosophy and ethics a level or at least psychology a level
Reply 2
Original post by shnliine
the second one i guess but you should probably study psychology and philosophy and ethics a level or at least psychology a level

Should I do RS A-Level instead of History? My college doesn't do A-Level Philosophy
Original post by Elintzz
Which one is the better choice of A-Levels for the PPL course (Psycholgy and Philosophy) at Oxford:

1: Biology, Chemistry, Maths
2: Biology, Chemistry, History

Thanks

Heya!

Your first point of looking into it should be the Oxford entry requirements on the official page.
'For Psychology, it is highly recommended for candidates to have studied one or more science subjects (which can include Psychology) or Mathematics to A-level, Advanced Higher, Higher Level in the IB or any other equivalent.'
'For Linguistics, it is helpful for candidates to have studied English Language, Mathematics, science or any other language. '
I would think maths would be more helpful to have it seems, especially for the TSA :h: Perhaps check with the Oxford forum on TSR what would be the best as well? Psychology would possibly suit the course better as well since it does involve psychology!

I hope this helps!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 4
I do EP not PPL but the Psychology parts of the course are the same: Maths is definitely helpful as there is quite a lot of statistics on the Psychology side of things and I think you’ll do logic as part of the Philosophy course which I’ve heard is quite maths related (though have never studied it myself). Biology may help with some aspects of the Psychology course too - it kind of depends on what modules you pick but if you think you’d be interested in the more neurosciency side of things then do Biology. Chemistry is probably less useful for the course itself based on my experience but since whatever your other two subjects are from the options given already fulfil the recommendations on the course page, if you like chemistry and anticipate doing well it is worth doing to help you get the grades you’ll need. History could have some use in giving you essay writing experience but on the whole I think maths will be more useful. That being said either option would be fine for admissions so you should also consider whether you think you’ll do better in History or Maths, as what will be more helpful for studying the course itself is besides the point if you can’t get the grades to get in!
potentially? im not sure how related to two are but honestly i think you should switch chemistry for something else since i don't think it would help at all with the course you want to do other than you needing to take 2 sciences for psych, biology and maths should be helpful for psych and history would also be useful because it's an essay subject and the course you wanna do would also be mostly essay based. But yeah Oxford it really competitive and your going to be up against people who have done psychology and philosophy a level even though it isn't required so just keep that in mind. maybe you could do biology, psychology and history or RS since your collage doesn't have philosophy
Original post by Elintzz
Should I do RS A-Level instead of History? My college doesn't do A-Level Philosophy
Reply 6
Thanks for the feedback.
I'm unable to do Psychology A Level since it's full and have planned on changing to RS instead of History from Maths.
I'll do research on Psychology in my own time like I'm doing with Philosophy.
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest