Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Computing Science - 1st year.

Lectures we have anything up to 200 people (Web Design & Dev only ~30 though). Easily 100+. Practicals are a lot smaller and I believe the limit is 20 per group which is nice

I quite like the timetable bar the 9am starts. I don't live on campus (I live on the other side of Stafford) and it takes me about 40 minutes to drive there for the early starts :p:

ReputationRep:
    Wow. 100 people. Was it scary the first lecture you had?

What are the techy people like at staffs? Nice?

Are you glad you chose the course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k9ruby)
    Bloody was :p: I remember being just on time because I had no idea on the traffic. I sat down next to two guys who I've obviously never met before. Introduced ourselves to each other / spoke a little. Was glad to get the first one out the way.

The practicals is where you meet the people specifically on your course. After that I didn't have a problem with lectures as I sat next to people I knew :p:

D'ya mean people who are computer literate, more commonly refered to as 'geeks'? :p: To be honest I've only had a few run ins with really geeky people (like people who go around talking about WoW all the time / use the word 'epic fail' (wtf?!) and stuff like that). Everyone else seems normalish :p:

I am actually I only applied in September through a process called 'Clearing' so it was very much a rush decision. I was originally going to do specifically Web Design & Dev but I picked Computing Science instead as I pick my own modules / basically create my own degree. My optional module this semester is Web Design & Dev 1 and next will be Web Design & Dev 2 so I'm basically doing what I wanted to do anyway :p:

ReputationRep:
    Originally Posted by k9ruby

Bloody was I remember being just on time because I had no idea on the traffic. I sat down next to two guys who I've obviously never met before. Introduced ourselves to each other / spoke a little. Was glad to get the first one out the way.

The practicals is where you meet the people specifically on your course. After that I didn't have a problem with lectures as I sat next to people I knew
    How long did it take to get friendly with people? What was your first 'moving in' day like? What sort of things do you do for your first term?

D'ya mean people who are computer literate, more commonly refered to as 'geeks'? To be honest I've only had a few run ins with really geeky people (like people who go around talking about WoW all the time / use the word 'epic fail' (wtf?!) and stuff like that). Everyone else seems normalish
    Hehe...this sounds reassuring. I am a bit of a self confessed computer geek, but the only time I have used 'fail' in that sense is online. And have only ever used the WoW trial, but looks like it will be nice to work with people 'of my own kind'. :P

Is their a bit of friendly rivallary between different course members in FCET?

I am actually I only applied in September through a process called 'Clearing' so it was very much a rush decision. I was originally going to do specifically Web Design & Dev but I picked Computing Science instead as I pick my own modules / basically create my own degree. My optional module this semester is Web Design & Dev 1 and next will be Web Design & Dev 2 so I'm basically doing what I wanted to do anyway
    Well, it seems to of worked out ok!

What are you hoping to do when you leave? What advice would you give to me A) For the interview B) (hopefully!) September next year?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    How long did it take to get friendly with people? What was your first 'moving in' day like? What sort of things do you do for your first term?
    To be honest not that long. The first week is like an induction week where you get to do different activities and stuff. I had a practical session with my course members and we got put into groups so became friends with the other two I was with fairly easy I also met a guy on Facebook prior to starting so kind-of knew him already

The first week is where the main fun is. After that, lectures all start and the work begins. Make sure you check out the societies (there's not a lot in Stafford compared to Stoke but still a variety)

Can't comment on the actual 'moving in day' for halls. I'm sure someone else can give some input on that

Hehe...this sounds reassuring. I am a bit of a self confessed computer geek, but the only time I have used 'fail' in that sense is online. And have only ever used the WoW trial, but looks like it will be nice to work with people 'of my own kind'. :P
    I find it odd how people use 'epic fail!!' and 'fail' in normal speech - each to their own :p:

I'm quite a techy person myself (I've been interested in computers / technology since I was very young (~10)). I've done a lot of stuff online since then (I've got 40-odd websites and run two businesses online) and its nice to actually speak to people / speak in lectures about the techy-stuff where people know what you're talking about.

There's always the person who thinks he's better than the rest. I have fun proving them wrong, though :p: (friendly, of course )

What are you hoping to do when you leave? What advice would you give to me A) For the interview B) (hopefully!) September next year?
    When I leave I'd ideally like to head into a Web Development job. I was going to do this straight after my A-Levels but decided the Degree might give me a bit more prospect wise

Advice for A: make sure you make it clear why you love web design and why you want to get into Stafford and you'll be fine! If you do get interviewed by Fiona then I imagine it'll be very informal and she's a laugh anyway

Advice for B: enjoy it! Don't be put off by the comments about how boring the place is; it's what you make of it. I love the campus as it has a lot of facilities and everywhere is easy to get to. Make a few friends and you'll be fine

There's a lot of active folk in this sub-forum who are first / second / third years so come next September we'll all ( or mostly all :p: ) be here to help or whatnot.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest not that long. The first week is like an induction week where you get to do different activities and stuff. I had a practical session with my course members and we got put into groups so became friends with the other two I was with fairly easy I also met a guy on Facebook prior to starting so kind-of knew him already

The first week is where the main fun is. After that, lectures all start and the work begins. Make sure you check out the societies (there's not a lot in Stafford compared to Stoke but still a variety)

Can't comment on the actual 'moving in day' for halls. I'm sure someone else can give some input on that
    What societies are there? Is it easy to start your own society?

I find it odd how people use 'epic fail!!' and 'fail' in normal speech - each to their own

I'm quite a techy person myself (I've been interested in computers / technology since I was very young (~10)). I've done a lot of stuff online since then (I've got 40-odd websites and run two businesses online) and its nice to actually speak to people / speak in lectures about the techy-stuff where people know what you're talking about.
    Same here. I remember being very very bored in year 6 IT whilst people were learning word I was learning HTML

Out of interest what are your online businesses? Website wise... I think I am as bad! I can't remember most of their addresses!

There's always the person who thinks he's better than the rest. I have fun proving them wrong, though (friendly, of course )
    Of course, of course :P
    When I leave I'd ideally like to head into a Web Development job. I was going to do this straight after my A-Levels but decided the Degree might give me a bit more prospect wise

Advice for A: make sure you make it clear why you love web design and why you want to get into Stafford and you'll be fine! If you do get interviewed by Fiona then I imagine it'll be very informal and she's a laugh anyway

Advice for B: enjoy it! Don't be put off by the comments about how boring the place is; it's what you make of it. I love the campus as it has a lot of facilities and everywhere is easy to get to. Make a few friends and you'll be fine

There's a lot of active folk in this sub-forum who are first / second / third years so come next September we'll all ( or mostly all ) be here to help or whatnot.
    Interesting. To be honest I was relived when people said there was nothing social at staffs (oh god I am going to sound so sad and pathetic lol) and immediately could see myself there.

Out of interest, what were you like at school?

ReputationRep:
    What societies are there? Is it easy to start your own society
    You can see a list here: http://www.staffsunion.com/activities/clubsandsocs/

I think it's quite easy to start your own, just you need 10 or so people

Out of interest what are your online businesses? Website wise... I think I am as bad! I can't remember most of their addresses!
    I own around 30 'proxy' websites ( the ones you use to bypass school filters and whatnot :p: ) and a large image hosting website ( by large I mean we host around 50GB's worth of images - so quite a lot! ). I also own two others but I don't like to talk about those (nothing dodgy, just for legal reasons)

I'm also in the process or developing one of those Facebook 'Applications' that you see people using but that's another story for another time :p:

Interesting. To be honest I was relived when people said there was nothing social at staffs (oh god I am going to sound so sad and pathetic lol) and immediately could see myself there.

Out of interest, what were you like at school?
    Very quiet and very shy, really. I found it hard to meet new people and didn't have too much confidence. It's only in the last year or so that I've changed a bit. I'm still quite quiet and shy, but I've got more confidence so meeting new people isn't too bad these days

ReputationRep:
    I thought i'd answer a few of these more general questions too to just provide another sight...

How long did it take to get friendly with people? What was your first 'moving in' day like?
    Hmmmm... well from my side i was friendly with people before i even came to staffs uni in september. obivously i had met lots of people online from TSR and facebook, but i also had the advantage of being a Step Ahead Survivor. Basically each summer staffs uni runs two free summer schools (one per campus) and invites people starting in september to come along and live at uni for a few days. its a good way to get to know other people, and get to the know uni, and well was on-par if not more fun the freshers week...

Moving in day was awsome, it was like a big re-union for everyone that met during step ahead, but was also a great time because i got to meet loads of people i had previously spoken to online about joining uni, and was cool to just generally get to know lots of other new people... and the welcome party in the union... friking awsome but i did prefer the school disco the next night.

What sort of things do you do for your first term?
    Well i made films, websites and scripts, but unwork related...

Went to alton towers a few times, went to see wheatus, the union (both campuses), went to london and got pissed n stayed over night in a hotel, went up to keele uni randomly and got wasted, set off fire alarm by mistake, countless house parties on and off campus, had huge snow ball fights in stafford court with phase one vs phase two... trolly jousting, 5 mile 2am walks around stafford, my flat mate bought a swing for his room, got chased around bbc television center by security guards, setup crime scenes around halls... ooo and lots of random trips out with my friends to: Manchester, Birmingham, Wolverhampton, London, Cannock hehe, and god knows where else...

I'm sure lots more happened in my first term before christmas but cant remember now..

There's a funny rivary bewteen Computer games design and computer games programming, they hav lots of games tournaments bewteen each other through the year...

What advice would you give to me A) For the interview B) (hopefully!) September next year?
    A) Be Yourself
    B) Be Yourself... ooo yeah and remember me :P Cos i'm applying for a job as Welcome Week Site Manager, which means i'll basically be responsible for organising and planning welcome week, and over seeing it lol... would be awsome if they gimme the job

ReputationRep:
    Oooo!

Thanks for the replys, you guys are fantastic!

A) Be Yourself
    B) Be Yourself... ooo yeah and remember me :P Cos i'm applying for a job as Welcome Week Site Manager, which means i'll basically be responsible for organising and planning welcome week, and over seeing it lol... would be awsome if they gimme the job
    I'm sure you will get it- you were a excelent tour guide lol! Good luck!

Hmmmm... well from my side i was friendly with people before i even came to staffs uni in september. obivously i had met lots of people online from TSR and facebook, but i also had the advantage of being a Step Ahead Survivor. Basically each summer staffs uni runs two free summer schools (one per campus) and invites people starting in september to come along and live at uni for a few days. its a good way to get to know other people, and get to the know uni, and well was on-par if not more fun the freshers week...

Moving in day was awsome, it was like a big re-union for everyone that met during step ahead, but was also a great time because i got to meet loads of people i had previously spoken to online about joining uni, and was cool to just generally get to know lots of other new people... and the welcome party in the union... friking awsome but i did prefer the school disco the next night.
    This Step-Ahead seems like a really good idea. How early do you have to apply?

Also, does it matter if you don't go to discos/gigs etc? (They would be me idea of hell, have to be honest here :P) but can't wait for joining societies/games tournanments/trips etc- they sound really fun! I don't tend to drink much either. I'm a bit of a lightweight!

Very quiet and very shy, really. I found it hard to meet new people and didn't have too much confidence. It's only in the last year or so that I've changed a bit. I'm still quite quiet and shy, but I've got more confidence so meeting new people isn't too bad these days
    There is hope...

I try to be friendly, but I find getting *close* to people really hard. I'm not the most outgoing person either! However, once you get to know me, I can't keep my mouth shut. :P

I own around 30 'proxy' websites ( the ones you use to bypass school filters and whatnot ) and a large image hosting website ( by large I mean we host around 50GB's worth of images - so quite a lot! ). I also own two others but I don't like to talk about those (nothing dodgy, just for legal reasons)

I'm also in the process or developing one of those Facebook 'Applications' that you see people using but that's another story for another time
    Please do me a favour and PM these! Pretty Please!! Pease!! peeeesss...

(OK...that sounds desperate...)

Tell me more!

ReputationRep:
    Step Ahead is by invitation only, and all of the intial invite goto stupids with a WP Background, then once they've gone out if there is any spaces left (unlikely) then invite will be sent to the rest of the new coming students.

Also, does it matter if you don't go to discos/gigs etc? (They would be me idea of hell, have to be honest here :P) but can't wait for joining societies/games tournanments/trips etc- they sound really fun! I don't tend to drink much either. I'm a bit of a lightweight!
    Tell me more!
    Shouldn't matter, other stuff is always happening to keep people busy, and going out constantly just becomes a major drain on funds lol, theres more to uni social life than going to the Students' Union Clubs and bars

ReputationRep:
    If you're into gaming then be sure to check out the gaming society! We usually LAN against each other and have many laughs

There is hope...

I try to be friendly, but I find getting *close* to people really hard. I'm not the most outgoing person either! However, once you get to know me, I can't keep my mouth shut. :P
    I'm actually quite the same. With people who I know, you can't shut me up and we can chat for hours. With people I don't, be honoured if you get a word out of me :p:

Please do me a favour and PM these! Pretty Please!! Pease!! peeeesss...

(OK...that sounds desperate...)

Tell me more!
    Mebbe! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Step Ahead is by invitation only, and all of the intial invite goto stupids with a WP Background, then once they've gone out if there is any spaces left (unlikely) then invite will be sent to the rest of the new coming students.

Tell me more!
    Shouldn't matter, other stuff is always happening to keep people busy, and going out constantly just becomes a major drain on funds lol, theres more to uni social life than going to the Students' Union Clubs and bars
    WP? eh? Expand!

If you're into gaming then be sure to check out the gaming society! We usually LAN against each other and have many laughs
    Which games in particular?

I'm actually quite the same. With people who I know, you can't shut me up and we can chat for hours. With people I don't, be honoured if you get a word out of me
    This is beggining to feel very, very, scary. You are not my alter ego in a paralell universe are you? ARE YOU?

Mebbe!
    *puppy eyes*

ReputationRep:
    im the same as matt in a lot of ways. the big difference is he gambles a lot more than me and wins all the time. hes just a lucky bugger

from what ive heard in the lans you play CS, TF2, and all the decent games. sounds alright to me, i just havent been

ReputationRep:
    We usually end up LANning on Team Fortress 2. I've played Counter-Strike Source a few times in there and last week they were playing Left 4 Dead. There's other games on the PCs. Depends what tickles your fancy really :p:

This is beggining to feel very, very, scary. You are not my alter ego in a paralell universe are you? ARE YOU?
    *Checks* I don't think so :eek: :woo:

*puppy eyes*
    :p:

ReputationRep:

We usually end up LANning on Team Fortress 2. I've played Counter-Strike Source a few times in there and last week they were playing Left 4 Dead. There's other games on the PCs. Depends what tickles your fancy really

*Checks* I don't think so

*puppy eyes*

Interesting. Will it matter that I have never played before, and although competent with web design/IT I am notoriously bad at computer games that are not related to the Sims 2, that my own brother recoils in embaressment :P

Is there a trial version of these to get to grips with? Sorry for my ignorance :P :P

ReputationRep:
    Interesting. Will it matter that I have never played before, and although competent with web design/IT I am notoriously bad at computer games that are not related to the Sims 2, that my own brother recoils in embaressment :P

Is there a trial version of these to get to grips with? Sorry for my ignorance :P :P
    Naw it won't. My friend had never played them before but thoroughly enjoys it now he does (I was even kind enough to buy TF2 for him)

They sometimes do 'free weekends' but I've no idea when the next one is. They are all pretty much first-person shooters though

ReputationRep:
    Naw it won't. My friend had never played them before but thoroughly enjoys it now he does (I was even kind enough to buy TF2 for him)

They sometimes do 'free weekends' but I've no idea when the next one is. They are all pretty much first-person shooters though
    Downloading L4D trial now. Looks interesting. Very curious!

ReputationRep:
    Oooh forgot about that! The demo is free and fun!

ReputationRep:
    Oooh forgot about that! The demo is free and fun!
    Any tips?

ReputationRep:
    Looks like its gonna take a while to download...

Ah well...patience!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.