The Student Room Group

"Take 3 times a day" - help?

When medications tell you to take one pill 3 times a day, how many hours apart do the doses have to be?

I'm taking ferrous sulphate for my anaemia, but I forgot to take the first tablet this morning like I usually do. It doesn't say on the information leaflet how many hours need to be between doses, but not to take 2 at the same time. :s-smilie: Can someone clear this up for me?
I'd take one now, then wait until about 7/8 to take the next one, then one at midnight.
Reply 2
Usually it's 4 hours I think.
Well, take 24 hours, divided by 3. So thats 8 so you need to take a dose every 8 hours.
Reply 4
Well, if you take one when you wake up, another at 3pm and another at 9pm.

Unless it says you should take it with a meal, in which case, one with breakfast, one with lunch and one with dinner. Problem solved :smile:
It's generally not hard and fast unless if specifically says "Take every X hours" or "Do not exceed one dose every X hours" or something like that.

Provided you get your 3 doses in, it doesn't matter if they're a little bit squashed together.
For iron tablets I would take one with each meal. Breakfast, lunch and dinner. I'd take it either an hour before or after each of those respective meals though.

And just to warn, it can make your poo black.
Jamie
For iron tablets I would take one with each meal. Breakfast, lunch and dinner. I'd take it either an hour before or after each of those respective meals though.

And just to warn, it can make your poo black.

My doctor warned me about that too :laughing: It was a rather awkward moment!

Thanks guys, I think general consensus is with each meal, so about every 4 hours or so which makes sense. :smile:
Reply 8
If you take iron pills with pure orange juice or other citrus-y drinks, then it helps stop the negative side effects such as black poo :p: and bloating, etc.
I only had to take two a day, but I'd imagine meal times would be best!
When you wake up, lunch time, then before bed/dinner.

Latest

Trending

Trending