The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford BCL and Cambridge LLM Applicants

Hi everyone,

Recently submitted my applications and wondered how everyone else out there is getting on? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
LLM app is in (although I had a few issues with CAMSIS) and BCL form will be in soon enough. Out of interest, which colleges did you opt for and why?
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 2
Hi,

The CAMSIS application is a bit of nightmare isn't it?! It doesn't help having to kindly request references only to insist on complicated and sometimes contradictory instructions. I am sending my additional material in the post tomorrow so I think I have everything correct.

As for college choice, I went for Merton first and Brasenose second at Oxford and Trinity for Cambridge with second choice as an open application. Although the general consensus is that college choice doesn't seem to matter when the teaching is centralised, I went mainly on the basis of atmosphere, law fellows and accommodation.

Which colleges did you go for?
Reply 3
I know, I've already seen posts about the request for 4 references (which later turns out to be 2 for UK students and 3 for everyone else).

I haven't concluded my Ox colleges yet but, at Cambridge, I went for Queens' and Robinson as reserve. Not overly popular but strong law colleges all the same. You're right though, the college is somewhat irrelevant considering the teaching is done at the law faculty. Unless, of course, you want funding or a fancy name!

Do you have a preference if you get into both?
Reply 4
I noticed that, I think it was for the cover sheets. I took it as meaning you need two cover sheets in the additional materials parcel plus one in each of the reference envelopes (so 4 in total).

Oxford is definitely first choice. Mainly because I want to go to the Bar and the BCL seems to have the higher prestige across the profession. I want to concentrate on private law modules and from what I understand Oxford is perhaps better suited than Cambridge, who has an outstanding reputation for International law. Having said that, I wouldn't be disappointed with getting an offer from Cambridge instead!

I think it's just a question of sending in the applications, forgetting about them, and hoping for the best! I'm trying not to think about it too much because the chances of getting in a pretty slim. I would probably reapply next year though once I have my results and have done the BVC.

How about you? Any preference?
Reply 5
I know, either would suit just fine. Although I've noticed the higher prestige of the BCL, I'm looking to mix legal history with a couple of the other topics I enjoyed at undergrad (IP being one) and Cambridge has the best rep for legal history and a better IP department than Ox (at least, in my opinion) so, at the mo, I sway to Cam. I doubt this will be my final opinion on the matter though, lol.

BVC application aswell? You're keen! I've had enough already and I've still got a few more of these apps to fill in!
Reply 6
I think we will end up preferring wherever we get accepted! (if we do of course). I like the idea of having the tutorial system at Oxford though, so that's what I have my fingers crossed for. What area of IP are you interested in? I'm working on an assessment at the moment on patenting biotechnology.

BVC is my Plan B! If I don't get onto the masters courses then at least I'll be able to get the BVC out of the way in the meantime! I'm having a break from the applications though at the moment! Are you applying for other LLMs?
Reply 7
Specifically trademarks and unconventional TMS (smells, colours, sounds etc) and copyright, particularly in regard to modern art.

Yep, other programmes are probably going to be at Edinburgh, Durham, Nottm and a UOL coll if I don't lose the will, lol. Problem is, usually you cant combine such subjects so the Edinburgh app is for legal hist and the others are broadly based commercial/IP stuff and then I'll have to decide come spring.
Reply 8
Is CAMSIS slow on updates? I have issues with the page which shows the list of documents which I need to send. It just doesn't seem to be updating, though I believe that my materials have arrived!
Reply 9
Alvin
Is CAMSIS slow on updates? I have issues with the page which shows the list of documents which I need to send. It just doesn't seem to be updating, though I believe that my materials have arrived!

I'd imagine that the system will take a few days to updates as they will have to process all the documents. If you're in doubts, Suzanne Wade is the person to contact. Her email address is on the Law faculty's website.
Reply 10
Hi Alvin,

I think CAMSIS as a whole is fundamentally flawed, so I wouldn't take much from the fact it takes an age to update. Is that how Cambridge acknowledges receipt of the additional documents (in that part of camsis)?
Reply 11
So I sent in all my stuff for the Cambridge LLM, and then Camsis (hate it!) informs me I need to send in 4 cover sheets and a photo. Does anyone know whether they want one photo per sheet or just one photo? I really don't want to have to go get more passport photos taken!
Reply 12
stinaluv11
So I sent in all my stuff for the Cambridge LLM, and then Camsis (hate it!) informs me I need to send in 4 cover sheets and a photo. Does anyone know whether they want one photo per sheet or just one photo? I really don't want to have to go get more passport photos taken!

I believe it is one photo on each of the two sheets you sign and enclose but none are needed on the two your referees sign, but I could be wrong. I've just found yet more contradictory instructions....
Reply 13
Thx Dimelow, I've contacted Ms Suzanne and she said that the bulk of applications should be causing the delay. And yes, sal paradise, we could see what documents are still required.

The problem is that my personal referee and my academic referee 1, who is the same person, sent the references directly to Cambridge more than a week ago. I've called the BGS, and they said that the remaining documents have arrived. BUT, after that acknowledgment, only the academic reference 1 was deleted from the list, and the personal reference was still there. That puts me in doubt of the confirmation. I don't even know if my application is being considered now!

As for the photos and cover sheet, I've called the BGS and they asked me to send 4 copies. I've sent 4 photos as well, 3 glued, and 1 unattached just in case.
Reply 14
Ah the joy of Cambridge applications! There seems to be so many contradictions in the instructions that I decided to be cautionary and included four cover sheets each with a photo attached (Don't really know why that is required anyway!). My application materials envelope contained:

- 2 cover sheets with photos
- 2 transcripts
- Sealed envelope with first reference, a cover sheet with photo and referee information sheet
- Sealed envelope with second reference, a cover sheet with photo and referee information sheet

I haven't had any confirmation of receipt as of yet though.
Reply 15
sal paradise
Ah the joy of Cambridge applications! There seems to be so many contradictions in the instructions that I decided to be cautionary and included four cover sheet.

Because Cam doesn't accept uggos, obviously.

I sent all my additional materials without cover sheets (because I put them in the mail right after I hit submit and hence hadn't been to Camsis yet). I emailed the LLM program admission people about it and, of course, they haven't gotten back to me. I guess I'll just suck it up and get more passport photos taken... Boo.
Reply 16
Stinalux11, I did the same thing as you. I've e-mailed Ms Suzanne and she told me to send the cover sheets with photos to the BGS, with an explanatory note telling why they weren't in the main package.
Reply 17
Ah, CAMSIS has finally told me 'you do not need to send us any documents'! Anyone else still having trouble?
Reply 18
I gave up, i hate CAMSIS! I don't think mine will be updated! I'm just ASSUMING that everything have arrived and that they are considering my application.
Reply 19
I've called again, they've finally updated CAMSIS, many weeks after my documents arrived -_-". But I'm glad!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending