The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
they'll probably find out, then it looks worse
Yes UCAS states you must declare all grades.
If by failed you mean you got a 'U', then no...
Reply 4
If it was a No Award then you don't actually have a grade, so as with an A-level U you don't need to declare it.
Do you have to declare ALL your GCSE grades or no? Even if the GCSE is completely unrelevant and you got a really bad grade (like a D)?
How exactly do they find out btw?
daruishraz
Do you have to declare ALL your GCSE grades or no? Even if the GCSE is completely unrelevant and you got a really bad grade (like a D)?

You must declare all qualifications -- so any certificated grades which will range from A* to G. So as your grade wasn't a U, you must declare it; relevance is irrelevant, so to say. I'm not sure how they do find out, but the universities can have contact with UCAS and the exam boards, so if they were to check they would find out. Whether you're prepared to take the risk in their not find out is your decision...
Reply 7
daruishraz

I don't know how exactly they'd find out, but I guess the point is to worry about what happens if they do. The universities reserve the right to remove/alter your offer (or its conditions) on the basis of knowing you've omitted a grade - because it's still lying.
Reply 8
Butterfly Icing
I failed Physics last year, although im not applying for a physics related course, should i omit this cause it it doesnt look very good against average grades - ACC (at Higher)

not if it was a no award (as another person said) but they may question whether you studied three highers last year or more but failed. Even if they did that, they have no proof and cannot hold it against you
daruishraz

Yes, you do. The only grades which do not have to be declared are U (Unclassified) grades.

They'd find out by checking certificates (I think some ask to see your certificates when you get there), or with exam boards. I'm sure one or two get away with it but a worst case scenario would be getting an offer, enrolling, and then getting kicked out a few months down the line. Or they could catch you mid-application, tell UCAS, and UCAS inform all your Universities and get you blacklisted.

I know it sounds extreme but it isn't really worth the risk :p:

Anyways, just to back up what I'm saying:

University of Nottingham admissions manual
It is a condition of admission to a programme of study that the candidate has accurately and truthfully presented all the relevant facts in their application. The University retains the right to withdraw an offer of a place or terminate the registration of a student should it subsequently come to light that the information provided by an applicant in support of their application was inaccurate or incomplete or a misrepresentation of the applicant's academic and other achievements.
Reply 10
Juustuburger
Yes, you do. The only grades which do not have to be declared are U (Unclassified) grades.

They'd find out by checking certificates, or with exam boards. I'm sure one or two get away with it but a worst case scenario would be getting an offer, enrolling, and then getting kicked out a few months down the line. Or they could catch you mid-application, tell UCAS, and UCAS inform all your Universities and get you blacklisted.

how would they find out once someone's actually enrolled though? :confused:.. just asking. ask to see certificates? I mean, I'm currently at a uni (went through clearing).. but probably will be dropping out, and they didn't once ask to even see the certificates! so technically I may not even have achieved the grades I said I did, although obviously I did. they'll still go on my CV/job applications, but the uni hasn't been bothered as long as I achieved its conditions.

I guess what's to worry about is the UCAS stage. it really isn't worth messing it up since they can take your offers away. although tbh, most people apply through schools/colleges where their teachers/heads of higher education etc. will probably check over all details to make sure the truth is told.
cdeu12
how would they find out once someone's actually enrolled though? :confused:.. just asking. ask to see certificates? I mean, I'm currently at a uni (went through clearing).. but probably will be dropping out, and they didn't once ask to even see the certificates! so technically I may not even have achieved the grades I said I did, although obviously I did. they'll still go on my CV/job applications, but the uni hasn't been bothered as long as I achieved its conditions.

I'm not particularly sure about that, but I've read that it's happened. An albeit more extreme case recently saw two foreign students kicked out of Newcastle University for forging their qualifications, and they must've found out somehow.

I think they do checks with examination boards when students attend, although they may not check all students.
Juustuburger

They'd find out by checking certificates (I think some ask to see your certificates when you get there), or with exam boards. I'm sure one or two get away with it but a worst case scenario would be getting an offer, enrolling, and then getting kicked out a few months down the line. Or they could catch you mid-application, tell UCAS, and UCAS inform all your Universities and get you blacklisted.

Because basically: I got the grades in my signature, however I also got a D in Persian.

I always thought because it was with a separate exam board (OCR - my others were with AQA btw), anyway, I always thought I could just leave it out :s-smilie:

So now where do I stand? I'm upset now that I've discovered I must declare it! :frown:
Simple - call UCAS and make the correction, then call the universities to explain.
ok, thanks everyone!
Reply 15
mollymustard
Yes UCAS states you must declare all grades.

Only certificated ones, and a U doesn't get certificated. So not declaring a U grade is fine.
LH123
Only certificated ones, and a U doesn't get certificated. So not declaring a U grade is fine.

Oh sorry, when the OP said they 'failed' I didn't assume they got a U grade.
Reply 17
mollymustard
Oh sorry, when the OP said they 'failed' I didn't assume they got a U grade.

A 'U' is the only fail grade at AS/A2.

Unless they meant "Omg I failed" and got a D instead of an A, or some such. Which is stupid.
LH123

Unless they meant "Omg I failed" and got a D instead of an A, or some such. Which is stupid.

Thats what I was expecting though, people on TSR do tend to exagerate quite a bit.
Reply 19
mollymustard
Thats what I was expecting though, people on TSR do tend to exagerate quite a bit.

Fair enough.

Latest

Trending

Trending