The Student Room Group

What to do if I did really badly in my first year of A-Levels

I am currently am doing Maths, Physics and Chemistry for A-Level and did not do well in mocks (CDE). I admit that I generally did not do many practice questions on all my subjects and I spent too much time on trying to relearn topics on chemistry. I really want to go to my favourite university this year. I understand most of the topics from maths and chemistry and I just need to do a lot of practice questions on them now. But I currently really struggling in physics to understand the topic and am not currently enjoying it. Any tips on how to enjoy and be good at physics and to make sure I can get the grades I need.
watch videos on physics, try veritasium on yt. I was finding physics boring in the first few months of doing it then I started watching videos about it and am more interested in it now and am also doing better
For maths, watch tlmaths. For chem watch machemguy or allergy chemistry.and try to do every AS paper for each subject before January comes. Then start the a level papers
Reply 3
Original post by lifeofpablo1
watch videos on physics, try veritasium on yt. I was finding physics boring in the first few months of doing it then I started watching videos about it and am more interested in it now and am also doing better

My exam board is aqa and whenever I get set homework, I am able to do the calculations but really struggle with the worded questions. any tips
Original post by WGardiner
My exam board is aqa and whenever I get set homework, I am able to do the calculations but really struggle with the worded questions. any tips

try reading the mark scheme of worded questions in ppqs so you get a feel for what kind of answers you need to be giving
I am currently am doing Maths, Physics and Chemistry for A-Level and did not do well in mocks (CDE). I admit that I generally did not do many practice questions on all my subjects and I spent too much time on trying to relearn topics on chemistry. I really want to go to my favourite university this year. I understand most of the topics from maths and chemistry and I just need to do a lot of practice questions on them now. But I currently really struggling in physics to understand the topic and am not currently enjoying it. Any tips on how to enjoy and be good at physics and to make sure I can get the grades I need.

Maybe you would find my physics notes helpful: https://www.tes.com/teaching-resources/shop/thealevelphysicist :smile:

Generally a lot of the problems people face imo stems from not understanding the definitions. Once you have definitions down you can start to build to more complex ideas and answering maths questions.

Heya!
Would youtube videos be helpful with your revision? Perhaps try finding some youtube channels that go over physics topics in a way that you understand :h: Understand the topic and the material first (make notes, flashcards, mindmaps) before doing practice questions. Perhaps have your teacher go over the material again! The teacher is there to help you with understanding the material after all! You could also try out some online courses with tutorials, perhaps you could find those helpful?

Once you go through the material, test yourself on the topic. Try doing questions without looking at the answers first. Once you are done, mark yourself and note down WHY you have lost the marks. Perhaps your teacher could also show you the best way to answer the worded questions. Study Mind offers free physics and chem practice papers all done by topic so that you can practice answering.

I hope this helps!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest