The Student Room Group

RAF OASC Help

I’ve just passed OASC, if anyone’s got any questions or queries. I’ll try to provide as much insight as I can.

Also posted this because a few people messaged with questions and TSR won’t let me respond without a second post
how did the hangar exercise run? Was it difficult to do / do you have any tips?
Hi there, just a quick one- what kind of questions did they ask you in the interview and did current affairs get brought up at all? I've just heard different stories from so just want a bit of clarification really. Also, how did you find the planning exercises element? Thank you.
Original post by Doomscroller25
how did the hangar exercise run? Was it difficult to do / do you have any tips?

They’re impossible to finish in the time given. Some are easy to find a solution, but require too many steps to finish on time and others require like 3 steps but the actual solution is near impossible to figure out.

Best advice I can give you for them is use your prep time wisely. I didn’t test one of my obstacles and it cost me time.

Stay positive, they can teach you how to lead, but they can’t teach you not to give up. One of the biggest positives in my report was that I kept the team positive and didn’t let mistakes hamper our mood.

If it is your leader exercise, listen to your team’s suggestions, they may see something you don’t. But don’t agree to try every idea that comes up because you’ll run out of time and you won’t show the examiner your leadership abilities.

If you’re not the leader and have an idea, present it respectfully and accept the leaders answer. The examiners want to see that you can lead but also follow when necessary.

Final one is don’t say things like “I’ll be happy to get two people to the end”. They do not want “that’ll do” attitude.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by chelseaw1
Hi there, just a quick one- what kind of questions did they ask you in the interview and did current affairs get brought up at all? I've just heard different stories from so just want a bit of clarification really. Also, how did you find the planning exercises element? Thank you.

They change the topics and questions day by day, that’s why you’re getting different stories. Also I’m going for NCO so some of my questions where a little different to those going for Commissioned

My group’s questions followed a pattern of

why the raf > why this role > training > post training > day to day on base > what does the RAF do > how does QRA work > International stations > Operations and roles of those stations > Planes and equipment on stations > The standard yes no questions you get about possibly killing or dying in the military > Diversity and Inclusivity questions

The topic’s that will always come up are:
- Why the RAF
- The role you choose
- Diversity and Inclusivity
- Military “disclaimer” you might kill/ die, etc

Current affairs, The RAFs job at home and internationally, etc then get split down and different amounts of time are spent on them for example for me I got 1 question about current events and that was about Operation shader and the jets involved, but I got a few questions about how QRA works and absolutely no questions about NATO. They mix it up so you can’t prepare 100%.

I tried posting the questions but TSR removed it because it breaches the community guidelines

Best advice for the interview is don’t focus on one area because, unless you’re really lucky, it’s unlikely to be the area they focus on in the interview.

The planning exercise is reading, retaining info and doing SDT. If you’re okay at maths and remembering info, won’t be an issue.

Just don’t add new information into the scenario. For example, just because you have two planes with 50% fuel, doesn’t mean you can syphon fuel from 1 plane to another so it’ll fly further. The examiners will jump in and shoot that down quickly.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 5
One thing I'd add to the list of help OP has given regarding the hanger exercise, especially the leadership task is: try not to take on too much of the responsibility. What I mean is that you are there to show leadership and command. On my task I did not get involved with equipment at all once the task began and simply directed ideas and orders. At times, ideas were being given to me and its important you take those ideas and portray them as your own, giving the rest of the group confidence in the overall plan.
Another person in our group made himself the lead in both the sense of giving out the plan, directing orders but also he held all of the equipment, so in that respect, he really took on all of the risk.
He struggled quite badly in that scenario.

As for the planning exercise, visit speeddistancetime.info and do the exercises on there DAILY to prepare. You will start to notice familiarities and ways to 'cheat' the system almost when it comes to dividing up time.

OP - Sorry for the post hijack :smile:
Original post by DC278
One thing I'd add to the list of help OP has given regarding the hanger exercise, especially the leadership task is: try not to take on too much of the responsibility. What I mean is that you are there to show leadership and command. On my task I did not get involved with equipment at all once the task began and simply directed ideas and orders. At times, ideas were being given to me and its important you take those ideas and portray them as your own, giving the rest of the group confidence in the overall plan.
Another person in our group made himself the lead in both the sense of giving out the plan, directing orders but also he held all of the equipment, so in that respect, he really took on all of the risk.
He struggled quite badly in that scenario.

As for the planning exercise, visit speeddistancetime.info and do the exercises on there DAILY to prepare. You will start to notice familiarities and ways to 'cheat' the system almost when it comes to dividing up time.

OP - Sorry for the post hijack :smile:

Hijak away, completely forgot that you can be too hands on during the leadership exercises. I will just add to that, consider where you’re leading from.

My task you could easily lead from the back and never be hands on at all, but some of the other tasks we had, you needed to lead from the middle.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest