Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am keeping my options open as to what I want to do in the future- but I am considering the thought of being a languages translator: English to German, and vice versa. I enjoy speaking German and have the ability to commit to it! I was wondering how much someone earns as a translator:

a) as a freelance one

b) and as one that works for a company

I want to know the yearly pays for both.

Because I want a job that I can enjoy AND make a reasonable amount of money!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Superstar6318)
    I am keeping my options open as to what I want to do in the future- but I am considering the thought of being a languages translator: English to German, and vice versa. I enjoy speaking German and have the ability to commit to it! I was wondering how much someone earns as a translator:

a) as a freelance one

Hmm, I can't give you any actual figures, but as far as I know, surviving as a freelance translator without having any additional sources of income is actually quite tough and I doubt there'll be very many companies which actually employ translators (and they're unlikely to be very highly paid considering the amount of time which goes into their work). Either way it'll probably be easier for you to find employment as a translator, though, if you have one or two additional languages and aren't wholly dependent on German, which is after all quite a common language for people to have...:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to become a translator after my degree as well, and so I did quite a lot of research into it, the options available to me etc.. and unfortunately the outcome wasn't good :/

First of all, there are no proper graduate schemes for translators so any job application would have to be done closer to (or after) your graduation, as companies advertising for job vacancies don't generally want to wait 6 months for you to start.

Second of all, the starting pay is quite low for a graduate job (around £18,000 on average) and the vacancies themselves are few and far between.

Thirdly, you won't be able to translate English into German professionally, as they will want native German speakers to do that. Becoming a freelance translator would be a big risk in a market that is already highly saturated.

However, if you don't mind moving abroad to a German speaking country, you would be highly in demand and I don't think you would have a problem finding a job there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james99)
    Second of all, the starting pay is quite low for a graduate job (around £18,000 on average) and the vacancies themselves are few and far between.

I would like to point out that a graduate starting on £18,000 is not low at all! I am a Sheffield Uni graduate, who worked at our careers service dealing with the graduates and would like to point out that most are extremely lucky to be on the threshold to pay back the loan, with their first job!

Translation as a profession is notoriously difficult to break into. You will most probably need to do an MA in translation studies to progress upwards. Competition is hard, when the language you offer is German, particularly because German people tend to be better at it

Try civil service jobs, perhaps in the EU. Or large organisations dealing in trade with German partners. They all require translators.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KayleeLand)
    I would like to point out that a graduate starting on £18,000 is not low at all! I am a Sheffield Uni graduate, who worked at our careers service dealing with the graduates and would like to point out that most are extremely lucky to be on the threshold to pay back the loan, with their first job!
    Sorry, but I do think it is quite low for a graduate job. You could get a job that pays £18,000 a year without a degree! Also, the average starting salary for companies within the top 100 employers list is £25,000 or more.

ReputationRep:
    ^ And have you looked at the drop out rates? The vast majority of graduates do not even get on to grad schemes, let alone make the first year!

I would like to know your starting salary once you have graduated? Being a graduate and having a large friendship circle of graduates I feel I must deliver this reality check to you.

I do not know one person who earns more than £22,000 and I one of my friends works in the Houses of Parliment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superstar6318)

a) as a freelance one

When we visited a EU building in Strasbourg they told us you usually needed around 4 languages to become a translator, I know you want to be freelance but there will be translators with more than twice the amount of languages you want to offer (you may have more I know) so they'd seem more value for money. Just a point to consider.
    Also I think places like the UN sometimes advertise vacancies on their website and so there may be translator positions on there (although there may not, and if there are they may not be freelance)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 16, 2008

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.