The Student Room Group

I failed one GSCE, Is my hopes of getting into any universities over?

During the 2022 GSCE exams, I got a 3 on my French GSCE. It was always one of my weakest subjects.
I got 999998888 for all my other subjects and I've tried to make it up by participating in NCS, joining a a silver DofE award and trying my hardest at a-levels.
I would hope to get into a Russel group university, and hopefully into a chemistry/medicine field, however I'm not quite sure now.
Are my hopes of getting into a really good university ruined or far more difficult?
edit: im not a troll just really bad at french
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Kacper Z
During the 2022 GSCE exams, I got a 3 on my French GSCE. It was always one of my weakest subjects.
I got 999998888 for all my other subjects and I've tried to make it up by participating in NCS, joining a a silver DofE award and trying my hardest at a-levels.
I would hope to get into a Russel group university, and hopefully into a chemistry/medicine field, however I'm not quite sure now.
Are my hopes of getting into a really good university ruined or far more difficult?

Given that you've got nine GCSEs at grade 8 or 9, no university (beyond perhaps Oxford) is going to care about the 3 in French. Assuming you're not planning to do a degree in Modern Foreign Languages, that is!
Reply 2

nope youre perfectly fine unis rarely care about gcses anyways and if they do care they will only care about english and maths!

Creates a TSR account to ask this as their first question? I suspect trolling
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
Given that you've got nine GCSEs at grade 8 or 9, no university (beyond perhaps Oxford) is going to care about the 3 in French. Assuming you're not planning to do a degree in Modern Foreign Languages, that is!

just curious- would cambridge not care while oxford would?
only cambridge has the course i want so it doesnt make a difference to me but is oxford a lot harder to get in to?
I genuinely thought I read I failed one GSCE, Is my hopes of getting into a relationship over because of the type of posts I see on this site. Time to take a break.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by gdunne42
Creates a TSR account to ask this as their first question? I suspect trolling

I don't think so...
Original post by mymelo
only cambridge has the course i want so it doesnt make a difference to me but is oxford a lot harder to get in to?

Neither Cambridge or oxford will care, French is an irrelevant subject unless you’re taking french at uni.If it was a subject like English,maths or any science subject then it would be an issue.
Reply 8
I’m confused however and find it hard to understand how someone can get 8´s and9’s in all other subjects and fail a language where verbs and grammar follow strict rules compared to English. Maybe a troll!
Original post by mymelo

Generally speaking, Oxford are more focused on GCSE grades that Cambridge. Oxford will use them to decide which candidates to shortlist for interview. Cambridge will use them as part of their "holistic" view of each candidate.

As others have said, even Oxford probably won't care in this particular scenario.

Quick Reply

Latest