The Student Room Group

how do you revise for alevel biology? AQA

I am a yr12 so obviously, I need to find a new way to revise. I have completed carbohydrates, lipids, proteins and cells in biology and I have a test next friday.
during GCSEs, I would make flashcards for biology and it seemed to work very well for me - I ended up getting a 9. I also did loads of past paper questions and made sure that I fully understood the concepts.

however, I feel like alevel has WAY more content, and putting absolutely everything on flashcards would just be too much. my friend has done that and she already has a really thick pile of cards.
I have made condensed notes already (I also use tailored tutors which is a great help).
do I have to make flashcards for biology? would you advise me to ??

I was just wondering if you have any advice - especially because I would like to achieve a high grade.

I feel like blurting is a really helpful revision technique for me too!
Reply 1
Original post by harlz_chalamet
I am a yr12 so obviously, I need to find a new way to revise. I have completed carbohydrates, lipids, proteins and cells in biology and I have a test next friday.
during GCSEs, I would make flashcards for biology and it seemed to work very well for me - I ended up getting a 9. I also did loads of past paper questions and made sure that I fully understood the concepts.

however, I feel like alevel has WAY more content, and putting absolutely everything on flashcards would just be too much. my friend has done that and she already has a really thick pile of cards.
I have made condensed notes already (I also use tailored tutors which is a great help).

I was just wondering if you have any advice - especially because I would like to achieve a high grade.

im in year 13 and what i did for a high grade in bio was before an end of topic test i'd just make concise notes for all parts of the topic making sure i understand what I'm writing so that i won't have to worry about writing notes and learning content right before mocks/alevel exams. after this just PRACTICE QUESTIONSSS literally any topic-specific practice questions that you can find just do them all and you'll definitely notice a pattern of what the mark schemes want you to say in your answers. physics and maths tutor, maths made easy and study mind are great for these.

you can make flashcards but i personally don't and would only do them for key definitions (eg. the definition of the word 'phenotype' as i know its a word that comes up a lot and they may ask for the definition of it in exams). honestly it's just up to you but just make them for definitions you struggle with and don't write loads of content/write actual notes on them.

as for blurting that's a really good technique i use it the day leading up to a test and it helps me identify what i don't know really well and improve on it so definitely keep doing that!

anyways idk if this helped much but good luck! :smile:
Original post by harlz_chalamet

Heya!
While the jump from GCSE to a-level is big, the revision you have been doing during GCSE should be fine even for a-levels ( though there's more to cover). Flashcards for bio is up to you - personally they didn't help me, drawing diagrams, doing past papers by topic and doing spider diagrams helped me more. The best method that worked for me and helped me got from B to A was doing past papers by topic as you get a better understand of the material. Study Mind offers free past paper by topic and mark scheme is included there so you can go over the questions. MAke sure to fully understand the first topic and then move on to the next one + use active recall after each topic is down to make sure you maintained the information. If it helps, Youtube also offers plenty of revision help with bio :h:

I hope this helps!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest