Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying to 3 uni's in London to do Journalism/Media but Kingston is the one I'm hoping to go to. Not sent my UCAS form off yet though coz my college are extremely slow and not interested in the slightest!

Anyone else applying to Kingston? If so, what course are you applying for?

ReputationRep:
    I got a conditional offer from Kingston for Journalism and Psychology I went to the open day and was really impressed by the Journalism subject talk, so that's what really clinched it for me.

ReputationRep:
    Law-320 points!
    Not applied yet though...
    Was meant to friday but i didnt know you had to bring in your GCSE certificates..
    So mondayyyyy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NiceWeatherForAirstrikes)
    I got a conditional offer from Kingston for Journalism and Psychology I went to the open day and was really impressed by the Journalism subject talk, so that's what really clinched it for me.
    Oooh another Journalist! How quickly did they give you an offer? Did you have to go to an interview?

I went to the open day too but sadly missed the talks thanks to the rubbish directions they gave me! I loved the Uni tho, it felt very friendly and homely if that makes sense!

ReputationRep:
    They gave me an offer about 8 days after I sent off my app - and no I don't have to go to an interview! (phew).

Lol I know, the directions were pretty erm, vague! We ended up parking outside the city and walking in. Yeah i know what you mean, there was a really sort of friendly, open atmosphere Journalism FTW! What other London unis have you applied for apart from Kingston and Goldsmiths? (Just seen your other thread)

ReputationRep:
    They gave me an offer about 8 days after I sent off my app - and no I don't have to go to an interview! (phew).

Lol I know, the directions were pretty erm, vague! We ended up parking outside the city and walking in. Yeah i know what you mean, there was a really sort of friendly, open atmosphere Journalism FTW! What other London unis have you applied for apart from Kingston and Goldsmiths? (Just seen your other thread)
    Wow 8 days is pretty quick! And I'm glad they didn't interview you coz that means they probably won't interview me either! lol

I travelled down there in the morning on the train by myself (I'm from Nottingham), met my friend who's now living in London and travelled all the way to Kingston via the tube and train and got completely lost! After an hour of walking round, I finally found the Uni, but at least I know the town center inside out now!!

Apart from Kingston and Goldsmiths, the only other Uni I'm applying to is Roehampton but I'm undecided about that one. The course sounds good but I've not visited the area/Uni even tho it's just up the road from Kingston. It's a very expensive area and that's what's putting me off. I have 4 options tho coz I'm applying for 2 courses at Kingston. I couldn't find a fifth choice but it doesn't really matter.

Where else are you applying to? Is Kingston your top choice?

ReputationRep:
    seriously? kingston is a dump! and so is roehampton !

ReputationRep:
    okay roehampton is a good place to go if you want to spend your time drunk,but a degree from there is practically worthless,the area is rough,the uni is in the middle of the biggest high rise council estate in the world,roehampton highstreet is where the rich people are but they are being outnumbered.

ReputationRep:
    Haha sounds mental! Never mind. You were really brave to come all the way from Notts on your own though, if that was me I would have got lost before i even got to London!

Yeah I wouldn't worry too much about that - i'm only applying to three, Winchester, Kingston and London City (see sig) in that order of preference, so Kingston is going to be my insurance after Winch.
    From what i've heard, Kingston gets much better reviews than Roehampton and i think it's more student-friendly, but like you said it's hard to judge when you haven't been there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bansheeee*)
    Kingston didn't look like a dump at all. However, New Cross certainly did which is what's putting me off Goldsmiths! I can't have an opinion on Roehampton tho coz I've not been there, but I've heard the Uni isn't that great.

ReputationRep:
    Haha sounds mental! Never mind. You were really brave to come all the way from Notts on your own though, if that was me I would have got lost before i even got to London!

Yeah I wouldn't worry too much about that - i'm only applying to three, Winchester, Kingston and London City (see sig) in that order of preference, so Kingston is going to be my insurance after Winch.
    From what i've heard, Kingston gets much better reviews than Roehampton and i think it's more student-friendly, but like you said it's hard to judge when you haven't been there.
    It wasn't too scary tho coz my friend met me off the train at St Pancras. I just had to make sure I got on the right train from Notts lol!

Oooh how many points do you need for Winchester?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Kingston has it's rough parts just like any other city, but it's a suburb of London, what did you expect? The main high streets are no worse than any other city, if not a lot better then some of the other areas for London Uni's. I just visited London City and, i'm not ****ging it off, but Islington isn't the nicest part of London. There's bars on the windows of the accomodation for a reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reddevilleanne)
    It wasn't too scary tho coz my friend met me off the train at St Pancras. I just had to make sure I got on the right train from Notts lol!

Oooh how many points do you need for Winchester?
    280 - so about BBC, which i'm happy with because I got AAAC last year and am predicted AAA this year, fingers crossed! Kingston were different in that they asked for the same grades, but specified at least a B in English Lit and Lang, which is fair enough considering the nature of Journalism really.

ReputationRep:
    280 - so about BBC, which i'm happy with because I got AAAC last year and am predicted AAA this year, fingers crossed! Kingston were different in that they asked for the same grades, but specified at least a B in English Lit and Lang, which is fair enough considering the nature of Journalism really.
    They never told me you have to have English Lit or Lang? Do you mean at A-level or GCSE? It said they were no specific subject requirements...

ReputationRep:
    ye i went there last year and they failed me ALL my essays and coursework because because the people in the school office lost them and never even bothered to give them to the lecturers so they thought it would be easier to fail me instead of looking for them! admin is terrrible..
    the uni is ok in first year,but when you get to second year and have to live in one of the high rises ,and go in for lectures which the lectures sometimes dont even turn up for ,it gets a bit depressing .also they have loads of random modules that you have to do in first year some dont even relate to the course
    Are you talking about Roehampton? If you are then I'm even more put off!

ReputationRep:
    I think it is far from a dump, it may not be the most prestigious uni but the environment is great.

ReputationRep:
    They never told me you have to have English Lit or Lang? Do you mean at A-level or GCSE? It said they were no specific subject requirements...
    No you don't have to have it, I just think they saw that i'd taken it and got an A last year so wanted to make sure i got at least a B this year or something.

ReputationRep:
    Are you talking about Roehampton? If you are then I'm even more put off!

Ye i am. however although the academic side is reeeeeeellly crap(no exageration,seriously) it's quite fun and social ,and you meet a few characters around while walking through the high rises,i missed it after i left for a few wks,but once you get to second year its all (even more)downhill academically.

ReputationRep:
    No you don't have to have it, I just think they saw that i'd taken it and got an A last year so wanted to make sure i got at least a B this year or something.
    Oh phew! You worried me then! lol
    I'm doing A-level Media Studies so they might ask that I get a B in that then... I'm predicted an A tho so it shouldn't be a problem.

What A-levels are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    Media (high five!), English Literature and Language (combined), and Psychology.

Oh and i did AS Geography last year but hated it and dropped it right after the exam!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.