Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm about to hand in my first form for my year abroad in Germany. I go to the University of Edinburgh and, although we can choose to go anywhere in Germany or Austria for our 3rd year, there is a list of places specially approved by our uni:

Augsburg, Berlin (Freie Universität), Berlin (Technische Universität), Essen, Freiburg, Heidelberg, Leipzig, Mainz, Regensburg, Tübingen or Vienna.

I think I'll feel safer going somewhere that's already been approved. I'm leaning towards Berlin or Heidelberg at the moment. Where would you go if you had these options? Any particular advantages/disadvantages/strong feelings towards any of the places?

Thanks a lot for any help you can offer

ReputationRep:
    ive been to a couple of cities and i would go to the south to heidelberg or freiburg. Heidelberg is a really nice geographical area. while Freiburg is filled with youngerish people due to the uni.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice. Yes, I've heard Heidelberg is lovely - I'm just so tempted by Berlin as it's such a large, buzzing city!

ReputationRep:
    Hey. I went to Tübingen on my year abroad which was ace, but it's a small town so might not be what you're after. Also lived in Regensburg for a while, which was also lovely.

Heidelberg is a good place to go though.

I can understand your leaning for Berlin, but we were all discouraged from Berlin as it's so cosmopolitan and you'll end up hearing more English than German

ReputationRep:
    I am not very fussed about Berlin. It is nice but I don't think it special at all. But it's just my opinion. I went to Vienna with my school and it was amazing! It is a very beautiful city and I visited the uni (thought about applying there before I decided to come to the UK) and it is very nice and the people were very friendly and answered all my questions. How good is your German though? Honestly, some of the accents in Austria can be horribly hard to understand. German is my first language, but I had some problems
    Haven't been to any other of these cities, quite embarassing somehow But a friend of mine is studying in Heidelberg and she says it's amazing.

ReputationRep:
    Heidelberg or if you fancy hearing some 'odd' accents, you could try Vienna. But I'd imagine that'd be like Berlin, as Fleece said, and quite 'English'.

ReputationRep:
    Heidelberg.

ReputationRep:
    Heidelberg is great, but so is Tübingen. Regensburg also. They're all uni towns. I wouldn't go to Essen or Mainz, not my thing. And I'm not so keen on Bavaria, so not Augsburg either.. Berlin is cool, but not very "German"..

ReputationRep:
    Oh, Vienna
    I'd go there

but hm. I'd go to Heidelberg for all the historical stuff
    or Berlin for the PARTAYS.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't go to Vienna. If you're after an exchange to Germany, go to proper Germany, where they speak the language properly and all. Austria is a totally different deal (and I am German, I know :P)

ReputationRep:
    Unfair... they should have Hamburg in that list

ReputationRep:
    Had a look at "Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München"? Having been to several German cities, I must say that Munic really stands out (and not just for the 'Augustiner' beer). It's also 'cleaner' when compared to, for instance, Berlin. Best city I've been to by far. However, it's also a rather expensive place to live - so have that in mind.

ReputationRep:
    Freiburg is pretty cool? :cool: I only visited Heidelberg once, and it seemed pretty small to me but I never really "experienced" it. Don't go to Tuebingen, it's very pretty, especially in the summer, but there is nothing to do there - it's a town that consists mainly of students, but somehow all the students go home over the weekends. I think there are like two pubs there lol.

ReputationRep:
    BTW Leipzig is probably quite cheap and a nice city, if Dresden is anything to go by.

ReputationRep:
    I live in Germany at the moment, and I would strongly recommend Freiburg. I've been pretty much everywhere (I've spent almost two years here) and I'd say Freiburg is by far the nicest place I've been...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llys)
    Freiburg is pretty cool? :cool: I only visited Heidelberg once, and it seemed pretty small to me but I never really "experienced" it. Don't go to Tuebingen, it's very pretty, especially in the summer, but there is nothing to do there - it's a town that consists mainly of students, but somehow all the students go home over the weekends. I think there are like two pubs there lol.
    That's not true at all

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    As a current erasmus student from Edinburgh, I suggest that you read our exchange blogs, although no doubt the erasmus coordinator has been plugging them too. There are bloggers in both Germany and Austria, so can give you an idea about what their universities abroad are like. My best friend (not from Edinburgh) is in Vienna and loves it. I've been to see her twice and she is really enjoying being at university there. She said that yes the German is different to what she was used to, but it hasn't been a huge problem now she has tuned her ear to the different accent. There are loads of Germans in Vienna too. I have friends currently in Berlin. It took them a month and a half to find accommodation.

www.edinburghexchanges.blog.co.uk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleece)
    That's not true at all
    Which part?

You mean there are more than two pubs in Tuebingen? Possibly but nightlife is seriously crap in Tuebingen (I stayed there for five months) compared to other cities (Freiburg/Berlin/Dresden/Muenchen/Vienna/...).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llys)
    Which part?

You mean there are more than two pubs in Tuebingen? Possibly but nightlife is seriously crap in Tuebingen (I stayed there for five months) compared to other cities (Freiburg/Berlin/Dresden/Muenchen/Vienna/...).
    Well obviously compared with a city the nightlife is not going to be as good. But I was always going out and to parties - there was always something on and I was never bored.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for the advice everyone! In particular thanks oxymoronic for the link to Edinburgh Exchanges - unbelievably I'd never come across it before but it looks like it's going to be very useful!

I've been speaking to my friend's father who is German and he recommended Freiburg to me (despite having attended uni in Heidelberg himself) and also spoke highly of Berlin.

I'm thinking hard about this but I guess my absolute main priority is to improve my German, which currently is not amazing. So perhaps the abundance of English spoken in Berlin will be too tempting for me and won't give me the best opportunity to practise my German. On the other hand it would act as a kind of 'security' if I'm feeling isolated..

I think wherever I end up I will have a fantastic time, but it's just where will I have the best possible experience?!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 18, 2008

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.