The Student Room Group

Suspending Course?

So, it's my second week of university and I am studying an Undergraduate course in Robotics Engineering. However, I have been struggling a lot as I've completely forgotten most of the content we're learning. And it doesn't help if the professors are rushing too quickly for me to catch up.

At the moment, we're already studying pin-pointed structures. But I'm not confident with the pre-requisite knowledge required like moments. I knew how to do it before, but I'd forgotten after the 3 months' holiday. I have to restart, but it is a much slower process.

I'm not sure, but I am considering suspending my course so I can take the year learning the content such as solid mechanics and circuit theory. I'm already predicting that I won't do that well in the January mid-term exam. And I want to do my absolute best and leave with a good degree so I'm more likely to be recruited by a company and vice versa.

Hiring a Tutor for solid mechanics/Circuit theory doesn't help either. As understandably, it's very expensive. I want other people's opinions in regard to what I should do.

For further information: I am in the first year of my undergraduate course.
Hi.

I understand this and it can be difficult to get the motivation or get back into the learning mindset. Also, it can be difficult trying to keep all the information fresh in your mind.

Before suspending your studies I would suggest speaking to your personal tutor and/or the head of the department and discussing your worries and problems with them to see if there is anything they can put in place that may be able to help. It may also be worth speaking to the academic skills team for your faculty to see if they have any advice or guidance that may be able to help you with retaining the information or any academic support you may need.

I would suggest if you decide that you want to suspend your studies, double-check any financial and housing implications so that you know how a suspension would impact you.

I hope you find a resolution that works for you and wish you well.

Luke - Portsmouth Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest