The Student Room Group

Sterilising Kilner jars

Hi,

Long shot here, but does anyone here sterilise jars for pickles and preserves? I've never sterilised a jar with its own rubber seal before and I don't know what to do with the seal. I would usually wash the jar in soapy water then rinse and whakc the jar and lid in the oven, but can I do that with the rubber seal, or should I sterilise that some other way?

TSR probably isn't the best place to ask this, heh. Unless the Food & Drink forum has had a sudden influx of visitors from the WI...

Anyone?
Ask Jeremy Clarkson. One of his relatives invented them.
Reply 2
I'd say in the oven. It's the only way I know for sterlising jars.
Reply 3
Yeah, but my issue is the rubber seal thing. Can that go inb the oven?
Does the rubber seal come off? if it does maybe you could boil it in a pan, and do the rest in the oven?
Or those things that sterilise baby bottles use steam i think, and baby bottles have rubber on them, so maybe you could steam the jars somehow?
Reply 5
Soak the jars and rings in a solution of this...

...then dry the jars in the oven.
Reply 6
Put them through the dishwasher at a high temperature. It works for me.
Reply 7
I normally take the seals off the jars when I sterilise them. Then I give them a good wash in hot soapy water, rinse them REALLY well with hot water and then you need to put them in a warm oven to dry. Give them about 20 minutes (the jars need to get hot, so be really careful here) and then fill and seal them while they're still warm. It's a fiddle getting the rubber seals back on but it works eventually. The other way is to clean them really well and then boil them filled to sterilise and seal them, but I rarely do that as it's not really necessary for most things.

Latest