Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm withdrawing this FAQ and the help it potentially dared to provide due to the mass of negative reputation I received off one user because it was too helpful and dared to take up "more sticky space". I'm also not going to be sticking around and am about to scramble my password, meaning this account won't be back.

Sorry if it, you know, helped anyone along the way.

ReputationRep:
    Just an idea for an addition - I often see people confused about whether you can change your firm and insurance choices and when you have to select them, and what they are? I'd write it myself, but I've been out the loop for a while and things have changed about UCAS since My Day...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatwhichiam)
    Just an idea for an addition - I often see people confused about whether you can change your firm and insurance choices and when you have to select them, and what they are? I'd write it myself, but I've been out the loop for a while and things have changed about UCAS since My Day...
    Added about what they are and if you can swap them around.

ReputationRep:
    That's really nice of you to put all the information together for people, I'm sure lots will find it helpful. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    If you have one conditional and one unconditional, and your first choice is the conditional one, can you put the unconditional one as insurance and the conditional one as firm?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by motherofpearl)
    If you have one conditional and one unconditional, and your first choice is the conditional one, can you put the unconditional one as insurance and the conditional one as firm?
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    Added a couple of points on interviewing and specifying whether parents attended University or not.

ReputationRep:
    What about something about how to enter your AS/A level grades?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I was wondering...
    I'm doing History, Pyschology and Ethics & Philosphy (as one). Will Uni's accept that as I'm gonna be doing them for the whole 2 years of 6th form?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goggin6)
    Hey, I was wondering...
    I'm doing History, Pyschology and Ethics & Philosphy (as one). Will Uni's accept that as I'm gonna be doing them for the whole 2 years of 6th form?
    Thanks
    I'm confused. Are you asking if they'll accept that you're only doing three subjects (with therefore no fourth/fifth AS)? If so, the answer is yes but some very top universities may see it as a weakness.

You can see from my signature (I only did three) that you can still get to some pretty good Universities with just three.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Stranger in Moscow)
    What about something about how to enter your AS/A level grades?
    Even though I should be sleeping by now, just added a bit on what qualification type to add for AS and A2 grades, along with a little bit on whether UMS marks are declared, mistakes on applications, and the date to put down for qualifications.

I don't think that there's much topics that I haven't covered now. :eek:

Edit: Added a couple of rarely-queried bits about the cost of UCAS, alternative entry times and alternatives to applying via UCAS.

ReputationRep:
    so, i've seen on a few peoples sigs that they have been 'acknowledged' by some unis, how do they know this if it doesnt show on track?

do they send a letter or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an_end_has_a_start)
    so, i've seen on a few peoples sigs that they have been 'acknowledged' by some unis, how do they know this if it doesnt show on track?

do they send a letter or something?
    An acknowledgement's an unofficial application status where you've basically received contact from the University saying they have your application. It's received via e-mail normally, but some send them out in letter form.

An example acknowledgement is as follows:

(Original post by Newcastle University)
    Dear xxx,

Thank you very much for your application to Newcastle University. It will be forwarded to the relevant admissions tutor to consider, and we shall let UCAS know of our decision in due course. If you have any questions that you would like to ask us in the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact our Enquiries Service on 0191 222 5594. If you do telephone, please make sure that you have your UCAS Personal ID number ready when you do so.

Yours sincerely,

The Undergraduate Admissions Team
    Newcastle University

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please tell me how long does it take to get a welcome letter from UCAS after sending off your aplication??

ReputationRep:
    Hey! im new to this lol

Im really confused at this moment in time...
    If i do not get into my firm choice..and do get into my insurance... do i have to accept it or can i go through clearing?

Im studying:
    A2 Law
    A2 Business Studies
    A2 Graphic Art

AS Results:
    A -Law
    B -Business Studies
    B -Graphic Art
    B- English Literature

Applying to:
    U of Birmingham (conditional offer)
    Kings
    Aston (conditional offer)
    City
    U of Brighton

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ridz)
    Hey! im new to this lol

Im really confused at this moment in time...
    If i do not get into my firm choice..and do get into my insurance... do i have to accept it or can i go through clearing?

Im studying:
    A2 Law
    A2 Business Studies
    A2 Graphic Art

AS Results:
    A -Law
    B -Business Studies
    B -Graphic Art
    B- English Literature

Applying to:
    U of Birmingham (conditional offer)
    Kings
    Aston (conditional offer)
    City
    U of Brighton
    If you don't want to go to your insurance, you would have to phone them up and ask to be released in order to use Clearing.

ReputationRep:
    Oh damn, I think I did something wrong I'm from Belgium and finished secondary school in 2007, but I didn't put my grades on my form, just the courses I took. I didn't know what to do, called Ucas, and the helpdesk agent didn't really know either - she just said 'do whatever seems best to you' And I didn't want to 'try to give an equivalent of a British qualification' so didn't fill out my grades for each course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maryam321)
    Can someone please tell me how long does it take to get a welcome letter from UCAS after sending off your aplication??
    About two weeks for me. When did you sent your application?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Claudia_)
    Oh damn, I think I did something wrong I'm from Belgium and finished secondary school in 2007, but I didn't put my grades on my form, just the courses I took. I didn't know what to do, called Ucas, and the helpdesk agent didn't really know either - she just said 'do whatever seems best to you' And I didn't want to 'try to give an equivalent of a British qualification' so didn't fill out my grades for each course.
    Under other qualifications, Belgian qualification types should presumably have been available. It does sound like a big error, and possibly one that might require you to withdraw your application and then re-apply (after consulting UCAS as to your error).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juustuburger)
    Under other qualifications, Belgian qualification types should presumably have been available. It does sound like a big error, and possibly one that might require you to withdraw your application and then re-apply (after consulting UCAS as to your error).
    Whatever you do, do not withdraw your application! You will not be able to reapply in this round if you do.

It sounds to me as if your best bet is a standard email explaining your qualifications and how they match up to A levels, which you send to the Admissions Department at each of your choices. To be absolutely sure of sending it to the right person, you could contact the department first and check who that is. Don't forget to put your UCAS number in the email so that it is easy for them to match it up with your actual application.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.