The Student Room Group

Musical Theatre

Calling all musical theatre lovers!

I am doing a presentation on musical theatre genres and I wanted to know, if you like adaptation musicals, why you like them? I am also including social, economical, and cultural factors for this e.g. Disney having successful films and being a conglomerate have the money to advertise their musicals through TV ads which make people want to watch it.

Thank you :smile:
A musical isn't necessarily bad because it's an adaptation. Sure, even Sweeney Todd and Into The Woods could be classed as adaptations. Companies like Disney having a monopoly on Broadway and the West End really grinds my gears though.

To answer your question about why I like adaptation musicals, sometimes it's nice to hear an old story from a new perspective or in a new medium! I've discovered some lovely bits of media through musicals (Heathers movie, Fun Home, The Wild Party book) and I reckon it's just human nature to put stories to music.
I really worry for the state of the industry with the constant popping-up of major movie adaptations though. Gone are the days where musicals got turned into movies. Except Cats. Cats was bad.
Reply 2
Original post by jaysuisfatigue
A musical isn't necessarily bad because it's an adaptation. Sure, even Sweeney Todd and Into The Woods could be classed as adaptations. Companies like Disney having a monopoly on Broadway and the West End really grinds my gears though.

To answer your question about why I like adaptation musicals, sometimes it's nice to hear an old story from a new perspective or in a new medium! I've discovered some lovely bits of media through musicals (Heathers movie, Fun Home, The Wild Party book) and I reckon it's just human nature to put stories to music.
I really worry for the state of the industry with the constant popping-up of major movie adaptations though. Gone are the days where musicals got turned into movies. Except Cats. Cats was bad.

Thank you for your opinion! I will definitely be using this in my presentation! :h:
i specifically like musical adaptations when they're put on at a theatre, like mean girls, for example. I don't really like the ones when it's just another movie but with songs. I think it's because they never quite catch the spirit of musical theatre enough for me--there's something about being in a theatre and seeing the actors live that just makes it so much better.

Quick Reply

Latest