The Student Room Group

Help with Essay Writing 🤔

I have to write an essay with the question; What is an Educated Person?
and I am struggling with what points to include/ how to lay out the essay.

Any help will be appreciated!
Geez - what guidance did they give you? That's going to be a very different essay if you are looking at philosophy of education, or if you are in economics, or if you are a sociologist. Have you key thinkers you need to include in this assignment?
Original post by the_cheerful_bat
Geez - what guidance did they give you? That's going to be a very different essay if you are looking at philosophy of education, or if you are in economics, or if you are a sociologist. Have you key thinkers you need to include in this assignment?

It's a question I have to answer on the philosophy of education module. I have some key thinkers that I would include in the assignment, but I have no idea how to layout the essay 😭

Do you have any idea?
Yes, definitely. I'd start out by reading and taking notes from the key thinkers they gave you. If there are reqs for the essay about how many thinkers to look at, you should follow them, but otherwise I would identify two key thinkers. Outline what they think education is, and what an educated person should be and then critique it, using primary and secondary sources. Finish up by choosing an approach you think is best, saying why you think so, but also commenting on any problems that come out of that approach and how you would solve them.

So for example, I might look at Dewey and Freire, I would talk about Dewey and what he thought education was all about and then highlight the problems/gaps with his approach. I would then outline an 'educated person according to Dewey'. I would do the same for Freire. Then I would say why I liked Freire's approach better, acknowledge how far that is from the existing Scottish education system (cos that's where I live and work), and say what would need to change to mean that the Scottish education system produced truly educated students.

Does that make any sense at all?
Original post by the_cheerful_bat
Yes, definitely. I'd start out by reading and taking notes from the key thinkers they gave you. If there are reqs for the essay about how many thinkers to look at, you should follow them, but otherwise I would identify two key thinkers. Outline what they think education is, and what an educated person should be and then critique it, using primary and secondary sources. Finish up by choosing an approach you think is best, saying why you think so, but also commenting on any problems that come out of that approach and how you would solve them.

So for example, I might look at Dewey and Freire, I would talk about Dewey and what he thought education was all about and then highlight the problems/gaps with his approach. I would then outline an 'educated person according to Dewey'. I would do the same for Freire. Then I would say why I liked Freire's approach better, acknowledge how far that is from the existing Scottish education system (cos that's where I live and work), and say what would need to change to mean that the Scottish education system produced truly educated students.

Does that make any sense at all?

Thank you so much 😭 it all makes sense now

Quick Reply