Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

This is my friends account so anon please. Quick replies would be highly appreciated.

I have had my braces removed this week and they took a mould of my teeth straightaway and 2 days later, I was given my clear retainer. It feels comfortable enough but the problem is the retainer seems to have made my 2 front teeth shift apart slightly because of the way the retainer has been moulded. I have now taken off the retainer. Has this happened to anyone else before? What should I do?

ReputationRep:
    Argh, I'm not sure sorry to hear about that problem, I hope that doesn't happen when mine get took off.

ReputationRep:
    get another appointment at the orthodontists for as soon as you can to rectify the problem.. but keep wearing them or else you're teeth will move even more.

ReputationRep:
    You should ring your dentist asap.
    If you tell them about the problem, then say you stopped wearing the retainers, that'll just cause more bother on your part.
    I suggest you keep wearing the retainer but call your dentist straight away.

Thankfully, my retainers haven't caused that problem.
    So far so good.
    Although, I've noticed that my teeth aren't perfectly straight even after wearing braces for 3 years. But, that's a different story altogether.

ReputationRep:
    Something has gone wrong, the retainer is supposed to keep the teeth in the exact same positions they were in when you get the brace taken off. If they are shifting into different positions than they were when the brace was taken off (as it is normal if you had to wait a while for the retainer for them to have moved in that time you were waiting), then go back to the orthodontist

ReputationRep:
    mine did the same is all sorted its self out in the end though

(Original post by Lgold92)
    mine did the same is all sorted its self out in the end though
    How did it sort itself out?

ReputationRep:
    i dunno its just where it was adjusting to something new sort of thign like when i first got train tracks my front teeth pulled apart loads before they pushed together and everytime i see the orthodontist man he would check my teeth and bend the retainer accordingly dont worry its all fine!!

(Original post by Lgold92)
    i dunno its just where it was adjusting to something new sort of thign like when i first got train tracks my front teeth pulled apart loads before they pushed together and everytime i see the orthodontist man he would check my teeth and bend the retainer accordingly dont worry its all fine!!
    My next appointment is in 3 months, will my retainer be adjusted then? I assumed that after 3 months they would remove it and that would be the end of it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mask Of Sanity)
    You should ring your dentist asap.
    If you tell them about the problem, then say you stopped wearing the retainers, that'll just cause more bother on your part.
    I suggest you keep wearing the retainer but call your dentist straight away.

Thankfully, my retainers haven't caused that problem.
    So far so good.
    Although, I've noticed that my teeth aren't perfectly straight even after wearing braces for 3 years. But, that's a different story altogether.
    Same! Not three years, more like two, but my bottom ones still aren't straight. My top ones are though so I guess they're the important ones that people see more anyway It just annoys me that I had to endure that pain for so long to hardly any avail on the bottom set!!

ReputationRep:
    Keep the retainer in and get an appointment with your orthodontist. Even if you only keep it out for a few hours your teeth will still move. If it is kept out for days it may not fit at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redpanda91)
    Same! Not three years, more like two, but my bottom ones still aren't straight. My top ones are though so I guess they're the important ones that people see more anyway It just annoys me that I had to endure that pain for so long to hardly any avail on the bottom set!!
    3 years and 1 month for me.
    My teeth were actually straight, but I had an irregular bite.
    The teeth I've noticed which aren't perfectly straight are those that were fine beforehand.
    I guess there really is no such thing as 'perfect'.
    But, "you have to wear retainers for the rest of you life" business is just frustrating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My next appointment is in 3 months, will my retainer be adjusted then? I assumed that after 3 months they would remove it and that would be the end of it?
    you wear the retainer night and day for 6 months then after that just at night for 6 months give it a couple of weeks if your still worried book an appointment

ReputationRep:
    My teeth are pretty good after my brace, but that's because my dentist was a perfectionist, and it's a fair enough price for having various braces for just under 5(!) years.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes teeth don't stay in the place braces moved them too, mine included.

Just get on with your life. :^_^:

ReputationRep:
    flem all over ur retainers then throw it on ur orthodentists face

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WASTEYOOT)
    flem all over ur retainers then throw it on ur orthodentists face
    You spelt phlegm wrong you cretin.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 24, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.