Turn on thread page Beta

Oxford students in 'bring a fit Jew' party row watch

ReputationRep:
    I would have brought Rahm Emmanuel.
    http://judicial-inc.biz/rahm_e1.jpg

Rawr.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    To be fair, I think most people would expect an Oxford undergraduate to look like he had slightly more wits about him.
    Actually, appearances really are deceptive. I've met plenty of people here at Oxford who write in text speak, spend all their time clubbing and act like complete ***** - and then turn out to be seriously, seriously ******* smart. Way smarter than 99% of the people on here who look down on them.

ReputationRep:
    Those guys are my new heroes. That's exactly the kind of crazy, attention-grabbing drunken idea I'd be proud to have thought up:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc101)
    Hmm...

Where would you find a fit Jew though???

:p:
    I know one... :yep:

(Original post by MSB)
    Each time this story is told it has more details added to it.
    Yeah, like OMG DID U HEAR THEY HERD THEM ALL INTO GAS CHAMBERS AT THE END?

ReputationRep:
    its just stupid boys being stupid boys.

They only did it for a laugh - i dont know how people can say this is disgusting. How many times have you gone to a fancy dress party dressed up as something for example?

ReputationRep:
    Complete over reaction, sports teams and the OTC here do all sorts of crazy **** like last year the OTC had a bad taste theme for Haloween and people came like dressed as the twin towers and stuff.

All in good humour.

ReputationRep:
    who cares....

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: That's hilarious, but sadly very offensive/insidious too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kayscout)
    I would have brought Rahm Emmanuel.
    http://judicial-inc.biz/rahm_e1.jpg

Rawr.
    Don't you think he's got enough to do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tory Dan)
    Complete over reaction, sports teams and the OTC here do all sorts of crazy **** like last year the OTC had a bad taste theme for Haloween and people came like dressed as the twin towers and stuff.

All in good humour.

So...just because it happens all the time, it's OK... good logic. Racism is wrong and as far as I'm concerned this isn't a matter of "freedom of speech" because there was no purpose to their actions: they were just being offensive for the sake of being offensive. The stereotype of rich Jews might somehow be funny to you guys but if the Jewish community (some of the older members of which lost loved ones because of that stereotype) find the party offensive then they shouldn't be questioned on that.

The "political correctness is out of control" brigade forget that sometimes PC is just a case of sensitivity rather than a crusade to end freedom of speech.

ReputationRep:
    :mad: This is pathetic how that a top university allows their students to stereotype and make other students uncomfortable. Imagine the outrage by muslim students if there was a muslim equivalent party where guests bring suicide belts and bombs. No matter which race of people it concerns racism and discrimination should be dealt with efficiently so that it doesnt happen again. futhermore the kind of people should open their eyes to the world and see that what potentialy could be fun is just a continuation of how Nazi'ism and Fascism started.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelofgames)
    :mad: This is pathetic how that a top university allows their students to stereotype and make other students uncomfortable. Imagine the outrage by muslim students if there was a muslim equivalent party where guests bring suicide belts and bombs. No matter which race of people it concerns racism and discrimination should be dealt with efficiently so that it doesnt happen again. futhermore the kind of people should open their eyes to the world and see that what potentialy could be fun is just a continuation of how Nazi'ism and Fascism started.

Please don't bump old threads, thanks

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.