The Student Room Group

Do I apply to Student Finance England or Wales?

Hello,

I seem to be in a murky area so I would be grateful for advice. I am an English mature student who wants to study a PGCE in Cardiff. My undergraduate degree was funded by SFE. As I need to move from my current home by January, I intend to move to Wales some time before the course starts.

I looked at other threads and SFE advisors have said 1. If you are moving to another UK country to study then you apply to the provider for the original country, and 2. You apply to the provider of wherever you are ordinarily resident when you make the finance application.

My intention is to move to Wales to study, but I will already be living there and have a Welsh address when I apply for funding. Am I “ordinarily resident” in Wales due to living there before the course began, or is that negated by an intent to move back to England after studying? Is there something specific used to determine residency for funding?

I’m grateful for any help, thank you!
Original post by Wilderley
Hello,

I seem to be in a murky area so I would be grateful for advice. I am an English mature student who wants to study a PGCE in Cardiff. My undergraduate degree was funded by SFE. As I need to move from my current home by January, I intend to move to Wales some time before the course starts.

I looked at other threads and SFE advisors have said 1. If you are moving to another UK country to study then you apply to the provider for the original country, and 2. You apply to the provider of wherever you are ordinarily resident when you make the finance application.

My intention is to move to Wales to study, but I will already be living there and have a Welsh address when I apply for funding. Am I “ordinarily resident” in Wales due to living there before the course began, or is that negated by an intent to move back to England after studying? Is there something specific used to determine residency for funding?

I’m grateful for any help, thank you!

Hi there,

You apply to us if you ordinarily reside in England then you should apply through Student Finance England.

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies

Thanks, Clare

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending