Turn on thread page Beta

My bank account doesnt work :( watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm kinda stuck at the moment.

I tried to do some shopping at Tesco before, only wanted some phone credit and a couple of other things, and when they put my card into the reader it said "Card Failed" or something. So I left, having not got any physical cash, and went to the ATM outside. When I checked my balance it said ... "Account Balance: £100 (roughly anyway). Today you may withdraw: Nil"

What do I do? I've got money in my bank account but my card won't allow me to make any payments out of my account ... and I still have no cash because I couldn't get any out the machine. I can't call the bank because I don't have any credit, I can't call my mum to tell her that the money she paid in hasn't gone through, and I really need to buy some food at some point. :stomp::bawling:

ReputationRep:
    Did you put the money in via a cheque? If so when did you put it in? That'll take about 5 working days to clear. Also, if you put cash in at the same time (ie on the same credit slip/same deposit transaction) as a cheque, your cash wont be available to withdraw until the cheque clears, but it will say on the ATM: Account: £xxx, Available: £0

ReputationRep:
    Hve you withdrawn any money within the last 24 hours? There's usually a limit to how much you can withdraw in a 24 hour period.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IanDangerously)
    I'm kinda stuck at the moment.

I tried to do some shopping at Tesco before, only wanted some phone credit and a couple of other things, and when they put my card into the reader it said "Card Failed" or something. So I left, having not got any physical cash, and went to the ATM outside. When I checked my balance it said ... "Account Balance: £100 (roughly anyway). Today you may withdraw: Nil"

What do I do? I've got money in my bank account but my card won't allow me to make any payments out of my account ... and I still have no cash because I couldn't get any out the machine. I can't call the bank because I don't have any credit, I can't call my mum to tell her that the money she paid in hasn't gone through, and I really need to buy some food at some point. :stomp::bawling:
    off topic but judging by fact that you go to Aston Business School (glass frontage looks cool) you probably used that ATM close to the roundabout in town, ive used that ATM and it worked fine for me
    sorry im not being helpful here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clad in armour)
    off topic but judging by fact that you go to Aston Business School (glass frontage looks cool) you probably used that ATM close to the roundabout in town, ive used that ATM and it worked fine for me
    sorry im not being helpful here
    Yep.... I was going to that little Tesco Express by the cash machine to get some food lol. My card didn't work in the shop or in the ATM so obviously they've blocked my account from being debited. The machine seems to have been working fine for everyone else ... I think it was out of order a couple of weeks ago for what seemed like ages.

(Original post by Titch89)
    Hve you withdrawn any money within the last 24 hours? There's usually a limit to how much you can withdraw in a 24 hour period.
    Nah, I didn't go anywhere yesterday so I didn't use any money at all.

(Original post by orionmoo)
    Did you put the money in via a cheque? If so when did you put it in? That'll take about 5 working days to clear. Also, if you put cash in at the same time (ie on the same credit slip/same deposit transaction) as a cheque, your cash wont be available to withdraw until the cheque clears, but it will say on the ATM: Account: £xxx, Available: £0
    I haven't paid anything in via cheque recently. I think my mum was going to transfer me some money over using online banking or something yesterday, but that hasnt gone in either and it went in straight away when she did it a few weeks ago.

ReputationRep:
    Best to go to your bank and ask what's happening.
    I had some trouble with my credit card yesterday. In game trying to buy COD5 on it, but it declined it which I thought rather silly as I used it in there 2 days ago to buy gears 2. My credit limit's £250 and the only purchase on there since the last payment I made (which paid the card off in full) was gears too. So I had £220+ credit left. I had to use my debit card instead. I mean I did have the money in my bank, just using the credit card frees that money in my bank for important stuff, which it turns out I couldn't use it for after having to use it for the game.. oh well.

ReputationRep:
    Send your mum a text (free texts online) or an email telling her that you need her to debit in some money because your account is empty dude. OR go get an overdraft.

ReputationRep:
    Best to go to your bank and ask what's happening.
    I had some trouble with my credit card yesterday. In game trying to buy COD5 on it, but it declined it which I thought rather silly as I used it in there 2 days ago to buy gears 2. My credit limit's £250 and the only purchase on there since the last payment I made (which paid the card off in full) was gears too. So I had £220+ credit left. I had to use my debit card instead. I mean I did have the money in my bank, just using the credit card frees that money in my bank for important stuff, which it turns out I couldn't use it for after having to use it for the game.. oh well.
    I'll go to the bank on Monday and ask them what's happening but I don't know how I'm meant to cope without any money until then lol. I don't have a credit card so I have to get all my games on my current account which is a pain in the arse because it doesnt free up any money for important stuff! I really want to get COD5 but I can't afford it at the moment after buying SvR and Fallout ... is it any good? I expect it to be quite good but a noticable step down from CoD4.

(Original post by lemily)
    Send your mum a text (free texts online) or an email telling her that you need her to debit in some money because your account is empty dude. OR go get an overdraft.
    my account isn't empty though.

ReputationRep:
    I'll go to the bank on Monday and ask them what's happening but I don't know how I'm meant to cope without any money until then lol. I don't have a credit card so I have to get all my games on my current account which is a pain in the arse because it doesnt free up any money for important stuff! I really want to get COD5 but I can't afford it at the moment after buying SvR and Fallout ... is it any good? I expect it to be quite good but a noticable step down from CoD4.

my account isn't empty though.
    You have no money for food yet you are worried about buying games? :p:

Maybe they have blocked your card for whatever reason. Just ring up the bank asap and see what's going on.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes that happens if you've got some sort of direct debit going out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randomgirl)
    You have no money for food yet you are worried about buying games? :p:

Maybe they have blocked your card for whatever reason. Just ring up the bank asap and see what's going on.
    Playing games is keeping my mind off the fact that I'm hungry as hell right now ... so yes, I'm worried about buying games when I get some money back, after food, of course!

I'm not sure why they'd block my card but it seems that's obviously what they've done for some bizarre reason. I would ring the bank but I've got no credit in my phone and therefore, cant. Oh well, I used lemily's idea and sent a free online text through O2 to my mum asking her to call me on my mobile .... I hope she gets the message. Then I can get her to call the bank and tell them whats going on. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Playing games is keeping my mind off the fact that I'm hungry as hell right now ... so yes, I'm worried about buying games when I get some money back, after food, of course!

I'm not sure why they'd block my card but it seems that's obviously what they've done for some bizarre reason. I would ring the bank but I've got no credit in my phone and therefore, cant. Oh well, I used lemily's idea and sent a free online text through O2 to my mum asking her to call me on my mobile .... I hope she gets the message. Then I can get her to call the bank and tell them whats going on. :p:
    borrow some money from a mate? borrow a mates phone? surely there must be someone that can lend you a few quid, or at least some bread or something :p:

ReputationRep:
    It's... alright. I mean It's a cod game as I'm going to buy it whatever but.. It's not as good as cod4. Some weapon stats I think should be changed a bit so the games a bit more balanced (but then again cod4 had problems with weapons such as endless M16 noobs, and stupidly weak guns like the mini uzi), and also the dogs thing is silly. They're too powerful and there's too many of them. Overall it's a good game worth buying but is it better than cod4..? Hm, I don't know. I'd rather they have made new game types (eg introduce war), and better maps (after the failures of new ones eg creek).

Anyway, yeah i advise you go into the bank and enquire about it. If you need cash you can always take your passport and recent bank statement into the bank to withdraw at the counter.

ReputationRep:
    It's... alright. I mean It's a cod game as I'm going to buy it whatever but.. It's not as good as cod4. Some weapon stats I think should be changed a bit so the games a bit more balanced (but then again cod4 had problems with weapons such as endless M16 noobs, and stupidly weak guns like the mini uzi), and also the dogs thing is silly. They're too powerful and there's too many of them. Overall it's a good game worth buying but is it better than cod4..? Hm, I don't know. I'd rather they have made new game types (eg introduce war), and better maps (after the failures of new ones eg creek).

Anyway, yeah i advise you go into the bank and enquire about it. If you need cash you can always take your passport and recent bank statement into the bank to withdraw at the counter.
    I'll go in on Monday and ask ... I'm sure I can survive just sitting around until Monday waiting for them to open. My mum called me before and she's going to look on the internet banking thing and see if she can put any money in and if that'll sort it out.

I didn't expect the new game to be as good as CoD4 but then again I don't expect anything to be as good as CoD4 because it was a shining example of how a modern day FPS should be done. I thought the new map pack was good for cod4 as well personally, Creek was fantastic for sniper battles! Why did they put the dogs in again? They were as unneccesary as they were bloody annoying last time. Did they manage to write a plot better than last years?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.