Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've checked Device manager and it's working fine. I've tried reinstalling it but it hasn't fixed the problem. I've tried to update the driver but it says there is no available updates.

The computer is recognising there is a CD in the drive, the little image of a disk appears next to the cursor for a split second when I put the disk in. When I double-click the drive it takes a while to open and when it opens it just shows up blank and doesn't think there is a disk in it.

Does anyone know what's wrong with it? There is nothing wrong with the disk I'm using and I have used more than one.

ReputationRep:
    does the drive make any unusual noises (clicking/grinding etc.)?

ReputationRep:
    No, it's not making any noises.

ReputationRep:
    Try other discs... if it happens with all of them there is probably something up with the drive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Defcon)
    Try other discs... if it happens with all of them there is probably something up with the drive
    I have, none of them work.

Do you know what might be wrong with the drive?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darkened Angel)
    I have, none of them work.

Do you know what might be wrong with the drive?
    Could be loads of things.
    Best just to replace the drive really. They are pretty cheap these days, around £15 online, or £20 from a decent computer shop.

ReputationRep:
    hmmm... just to rule out an operating system problem do you have a bootable CD to see if it recognises it at boot? e.g. XP / Vista install CD

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.