Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't particularly like my family :P

ReputationRep:
    Both.

(or number one probably)

Easy. I'd blow the 16 families. I'm being coerced so I wouldn't be culpable for either, but it'd suck regardless if I lost my own family.

ReputationRep:
    i would save my family. my mother has looked after me for my whole life! the least i could do!!

ReputationRep:
    building 1
    Can't live without my mum.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Blow up number 2. Smaller number of life years.

ReputationRep:
    There isn't even any debate to be had. Obviously you kill your family. Why does it matter that they're yours? I can't even believe you posted this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k9ruby)
    My brother got asked this in his philiosphy and ethics lesson a few days ago:

Imagine you had to blow up one out of two buildings. No way around it.

Building No. 1: Has 16 families in

Building No. 2: Has your family in.

:eek:
    The question you are asking is essentially; do prima facie relationships necessitate a moral obligation..

My answer is "yes". Put simply, I feel that we have a special responsibility to care for our family - over and above any responsibilities to others of society.

Ask me to PROVE that we do and I'll run away though :P

ReputationRep:
    Woaaaah that's a hard one but I'd go with Number 1. At least I'd have people to support me after the intense guilt, and I can see myself becoming more of a maniac if I chose number 2.
    Harsh qu. though...

ReputationRep:
    Number 1, harsh, but I'd have to save my Nana, Dad and my 2 brothers, love them so much I'd do anything for them, including killing 16 people.

This is similar to the question "who would you rather kill, your mother, or someone who's discovered the cure to cancer but hasn't written it down"?

ReputationRep:
    Building 1.

ReputationRep:
    Difficult question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommm)
    This is similar to the question "who would you rather kill, your mother, or someone who's discovered the cure to cancer but hasn't written it down"?
    The cancer guy because it is possible for another person to find the cure to cancer, it's not possible for another person to give birth to you. That's my reasoning, probably a bit selfish.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Building 2 if I could be in with them. especially if I could use my life to save my brother. If not still building 2 but i would have to kill myself after. I found that a hard choice though. I don't think you can properly answer it unless you have been in that situation though.

ReputationRep:
    Sixteen families, blates.

Either

or

2 and kill myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommm)
    But how many more people must die until then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommm)
    lol. The other dude since he's clearly making it up. A cure for cancer would require a heck of a lot of research which he'd have had to keep a record of.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.