Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OriginofSymmetry)
    Yes but it's an ethical question, it doesn't HAVE to make sense. Just take it to be fact.
    All the same, there's no certainty that he has the cure. You only have his word for it. For me, that's not good enough. Dude's gotta die.

ReputationRep:
    oh definitely the one without my family...

ReputationRep:
    urgh, this is why i hate philosophy.

Hypothetical situations to make you feel like a horrible person.

If it ever did happen (which it wouldnt) then it would have to be in EXTREME circumstances.

However, gut instinct, building 1.
    But as i said, i hate moral questions.

ReputationRep:
    I'd blow them both up.

ReputationRep:
    without a shadow of a doubt, option number one

ReputationRep:
    save building 2 of course.... it is the naturally self-centred and selfish way humans think.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the context of a real life situation and what would "blow up" really mean. Here are real life cases I could think of and here is what I would do for each:

A) Some lunatic or a storm is going to destroy building 1 and 2 I'm the only person who knows how to stop him/it, but time allows me to stop him/it from destroying only one.
    - I will stop him/it from blowing 1. In a real life situation in the 21st century I will probably be able to contact my family to tell them to get out, but I will less likely know how to contact information of the building in which I do not reside or in terms of time it will only make sense to let one family run for their life as opposed to 16 families as it will likely take them much more time. So save building 1, leave building 2 to blow up because of time restriction but inform my family to let them save their life. OK in the case of no contact option, which I think is a pointless assumption because it is not realistic, I will still choose to save building 1.

B) Someone is forcing me to blow up either building 1 or building 2. I'm pinned by this ******* and I have no way to contact the outer world because he wants me to be blamed for it and has planned everything very well. I will assume that I'm forced in such a clever way that letting myself die will let the button be pressed to blow up both buildings so it will do no good to anyone except getting me out of this psychological pressure. Let's make it a crazy SAW 4 movie scene so that a Tom Cruise move to kick the ground for a gun and finish the guy is not an option :p:
    - O.K. damn that's a hard one. I will pray to God, in full conviction of His Will, to save the people. I will also make the prayer below. It's hard for me to assume what my brain would tell me after that because God's Will is not known. If my brain then is the same as it is now (which is a weak assumption again), I will press the button to destroy building 2 where my family is to save the 16 families.

In any situation before I do any action. I will pray to God (as a Muslim, in prostration if I can as it is the closest state between me and God) and cry out for help and guidance and tell Him that my decision will be based on only what He has given me of limited ability and knowledge and that may He forgive me if I make the wrong decision and that verily, He does not bear a soul more than what it can take.

To be honest, In a real life situation the case of either I die or they die is much more possible to force me to do such a thing. I will choose my death in this case. If I am not forced, then case A is more possible where I can contact my family.

Can the thread starter give an example of a real life situation like this because otherwise this would be pointless.

Lol I took this question very personally. I guess this is the result of boredom :p:.

Side note: To answer this question in a full Islamic perspective I will need to be knowledgeable of Usul Al-Fiqh which I am currently not. So don't take this answer to represent anything more than my personal thinking.

(Original post by ßlαcksωαn)
    I'd blow them both up.
    :rofl:

I'd blow up number one if I'm honest...

But, are we talking about the whole family? Because the aunties and uncles as well as parents cousins etc of 16 random people is a lot of people to blow up...

More than the average blowing up task should involve if you ask me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~ABR~)
    It depends on the context of a real life situation and what would "blow up" really mean. Here are real life cases I could think of and here is what I would do for each:

A) Some lunatic or a storm is going to destroy building 1 and 2 I'm the only person who knows how to stop him/it, but time allows me to stop him/it from destroying only one.
    Reminds me of a certain Dark Knight. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amy_J)
    The one with my family in, obviously - think of the inheritance.
    :yep: What this clever girl said ^!

ReputationRep:
    2, my family wouldn't want me to kill other people for them.

However in reality, I don't know if I'd react like that. However, I'd need to know the full situation of how this would occur.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deyn_08)
    building 1
    Can't live without my mum.
    :ditto:

Easy question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k9ruby)
    My brother got asked this in his philiosphy and ethics lesson a few days ago:

Imagine you had to blow up one out of two buildings. No way around it.

Building No. 1: Has 16 families in

Building No. 2: Has your family in.

:eek:
    Number one, and then number two shortly after.:shifty:

ReputationRep:
    this is just a pretentous version of questions like "would you rather bum a man? or be bummed by a man?"

but less entertaining answers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rutter knows best!)
    this is just a pretentous version of questions like "would you rather bum a man? or be bummed by a man?"

but less entertaining answers.
    bum the man surely, the other is more likely to be bad for my health.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yusufu)
    All the same, there's no certainty that he has the cure. You only have his word for it. For me, that's not good enough. Dude's gotta die.

Well, obviously if it happened in real life then you would naturally be highly suspicious. But it's a hypothetical question.

ReputationRep:
    i think the fact about this is that whom ever is asked has a right to refuse to answer the question
    i would never even begin to think about an answer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k9ruby)
    My brother got asked this in his philiosphy and ethics lesson a few days ago:

Imagine you had to blow up one out of two buildings. No way around it.

Building No. 1: Has 16 families in

Building No. 2: Has your family in.

:eek:
    I'd blow up #2. If the 16 families died so many more people would be upset (all their friends etc.).

ReputationRep:
    Well, I aint blowing up my family.

ReputationRep:
    What is reality? Think about it, read about it. It will BLOW YOUR MIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.