The Student Room Group

How much does the University you choose affect employment for Nursing?

I am looking to study Child Nursing next year (2023) and will probably live at home. My two closest Universities are Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire. Bedfordshire is closer to me and I may be eligible for a scholarship but Hertfordshire is possibly seen as the "better" uni (please don't have a go at me if you disagree this is just what I've seen personally) but is further away from where I live (40 minute drive vs 20 minutes to Bedford). How much notice would employers take in the university you choose? Would I be disadvantaged getting a Nursing degree from Bedfordshire and not Hertfordshire? Does anyone have any experience of each that could help? Just any help would be appreciated :smile:
Original post by shaunmk96
I am looking to study Child Nursing next year (2023) and will probably live at home. My two closest Universities are Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire. Bedfordshire is closer to me and I may be eligible for a scholarship but Hertfordshire is possibly seen as the "better" uni (please don't have a go at me if you disagree this is just what I've seen personally) but is further away from where I live (40 minute drive vs 20 minutes to Bedford). How much notice would employers take in the university you choose? Would I be disadvantaged getting a Nursing degree from Bedfordshire and not Hertfordshire? Does anyone have any experience of each that could help? Just any help would be appreciated :smile:

It will make absolutely no difference what university you go to for nursing degree as your future employers is only interested in you having a degree from a credited approved course.

So for your future employment just make sure you qualify as a nurse then apply to anywhere in the UK for a job.

At the end of the day it's your own decisions which university you want to go to but also remember that you'll be doing nightshifts, weekends and day shifts and possibly between 12-13 hours shifts depending on your hospital trust working patterns. Factor that into your travelling arrangements.

I have never went to any of those two universities as I'm a NHS Scotland registered midwife.

@Emily_B @moonkatt
Reply 2
Original post by Tracey_W
It will make absolutely no difference what university you go to for nursing degree as your future employers is only interested in you having a degree from a credited approved course.

So for your future employment just make sure you qualify as a nurse then apply to anywhere in the UK for a job.

At the end of the day it's your own decisions which university you want to go to but also remember that you'll be doing nightshifts, weekends and day shifts and possibly between 12-13 hours shifts depending on your hospital trust working patterns. Factor that into your travelling arrangements.

I have never went to any of those two universities as I'm a NHS Scotland registered midwife.

@Emily_B @moonkatt

Thank you for the advice!

I live on the border of Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire so for placements it would be very similar travel depending where I get put as one of the hospitals that Hertfordshire offer is only 15 minutes down the road from me. I guess I will get a better understanding of the universities on their open days.

When you qualify as a nurse, the things employers care about are:
- have you interviewed well enough?
- have you passed occupational health & HR checks?
- where's proof you've passed your nursing degree?
- where's proof of your NMC registration?

They really don't care where you did your degree as long as you meet the above. The latest newly qualified nurse on my ward trained at a completely different, "better" university and hasn't been given any preferential treatment for such.

It's down to you as to which university you prefer, and where the universities send you on placement.
Thank you for the advice!

I live on the border of Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire so for placements it would be very similar travel depending where I get put as one of the hospitals that Hertfordshire offer is only 15 minutes down the road from me. I guess I will get a better understanding of the universities on their open days.

Yes perhaps attending the open days will help you make up your mind on where to go 🙂 if you don't want to be travelling far then obviously the one closest to your house will be best for you but also take in the distance for any placements if choosing the other university especially if you are going to be travelling to and from okay.
Plus I have to agree with what Emily said on things in post 4

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending