Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, if anyone could help I'd really appreciate it-

I really love Durham, but still haven't applied, I'm expecting my application (for Biological science-zoology) to be sent towards the end of the coming week. Which I know is very late, so I'm rather annoyed. Anyway, as most people probably do I love Castle, it's perfect, but of course is incredibly oversubscribed. Assuming the department accepts me, but castle doesn't, I'd end up in a different college, which could be great, but may be one of the colleges that I don't think would really suit me as much.

So, I know this has been asked about a million times before and no doubt everyone's fed up of it, but is it worth applying to castle (or Hatfield or St. John's, probably my second/third favourites), or should I apply to a less subscribed college that I wouldn't mind but haven't fallen in love with?

Basically to cut to the chase my question is- do you think Castle will have filled its zoology quota yet?

If anyone could enlighten me, thank you in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    Even if it isn't now, chances are that by the time the department has dealt with your application it will be full.

You can still apply if you like, because you may still get lucky, but don't discount other colleges, because they're all good too.

ReputationRep:
    Do colleges only look at your subject of study or other things too?

ReputationRep:
    Ring them and ask.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, thanks. Not really what I wanted to hear, but I think it's true! Maybe I should ask them... but then they might think I'm a freak or trying to get ahead of everyone else and not accept me at all. Or they'll refuse to tell me. Hmmm... I really want to go!

I know all the colleges are good in many respects, but I'd like to go somewhere traditional and pretty, with a sense of history etc.- silly I know, but I don't think I'd like a 'modern' college as much, or at least I would look at the older bailey colleges in regret and jealousy every day!

ReputationRep:
    Applications for Castle College are done on a lottery basis because it's so highly subscribed, so I don't see why you don't have a good chance if you have the grades.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think so? I'm just worried they'll have already filled all their places. I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed and accept whereaver they put me I suppose

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaoPaolo90)
    Applications for Castle College are done on a lottery basis because it's so highly subscribed, so I don't see why you don't have a good chance if you have the grades.
    It hasn't really got anything to do with getting the grades, really. The department will be far more concerned with that.

ReputationRep:
    dont go to hatfield for one. and also i met a girl from castle the other day and had a chat with her and castle isnt quite as good as its cracked up to be, accomodation wise. if you get a room in the castle you have to share, and the single rooms are like prisions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neiljeff123)
    dont go to hatfield for one. and also i met a girl from castle the other day and had a chat with her and castle isnt quite as good as its cracked up to be, accomodation wise. if you get a room in the castle you have to share, and the single rooms are like prisions.
    Depends on what you expect before you arrive I guess.

The rooms are pretty variable from what I've seen. Some rooms are huge, some are relatively small, depending on where you get put. I was lucky enough to get a double room to myself, so my room is massive :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Castle is not done by lottery basis - it's first come first serve.

Obviously not all freshers live in castle but you will live in the castle at some point in your college career if you so chose (3rd year rooms in castle).
    Sharing is wicked if you're sociable and your room-mate is. The single rooms are typical tiny uni rooms: desk, bed, basin, cupboards, window. But all nicely refurbed and not shabby. Castle has faults like any college but remember all colleges have some rubbish accomodation and only JB and Van Mildert promise single rooms. Pros of castle are the Undie (love it!), June Ball, eating in Great Hall, free Klute on Thursdays and generally the aesthetic joy of the castle. BUT most colleges have an equal number of pros.

Basically don't stress too much about colleges; 99% of people love the college they end up in and if you want to move it is possible when you get here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    It hasn't really got anything to do with getting the grades, really. The department will be far more concerned with that.
    I'm not so sure on that. Colleges, I have been told, do see our applications and make judgments based on that. I was also at a meeting where everyone attended and Susan Frenk made reference to having seen all of our personal statements, which amused some students. If there is a selective basis for admission to colleges they should do away with it and just make it a blind process. We're not taught in the colleges FFS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    I'm not so sure on that. Colleges, I have been told, do see our applications and make judgments based on that. I was also at a meeting where everyone attended and Susan Frenk made reference to having seen all of our personal statements, which amused some students. If there is a selective basis for admission to colleges they should do away with it and just make it a blind process. We're not taught in the colleges FFS.
    It wouldn't suprise me if personal statements and extra-curriculars were considered (and, of course, degree subject) I just don't think grades have any real influence. Teaching is independent so why should they? But then, with Durham, you never know. If this is the case then it should be done away with. They only need to know your subject (if even that).

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your help everyone- I've taken a (teensy weensy) chance and applied for castle, but looking over all the colleges again I'm sure I could learn to love wherever I'm put! Maybe not St. Aidan’s so much but I’d be grateful for a place anywhere, at least I know I tried. If it is done on a ‘first come, first served’ basis, as I was under the impression it was, then I’m screwed- I would probably benefit from them looking at grades tbh but never mind. Fingers crossed, I’ll just have to wait and see. I might not even get accepted by the department, so maybe I’m getting ahead of myself!

Edit: I actually would quite like to share I think, I don't see why people would hate it so much (though once upon a time I would have ran screaming at the thought so then again...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by millyme)
    Thanks for all your help everyone- I've taken a (teensy weensy) chance and applied for castle, but looking over all the colleges again I'm sure I could learn to love wherever I'm put! Maybe not St. Aidan’s so much but I’d be grateful for a place anywhere, at least I know I tried. If it is done on a ‘first come, first served’ basis, as I was under the impression it was, then I’m screwed- I would probably benefit from them looking at grades tbh but never mind. Fingers crossed, I’ll just have to wait and see. I might not even get accepted by the department, so maybe I’m getting ahead of myself!

Edit: I actually would quite like to share I think, I don't see why people would hate it so much (though once upon a time I would have ran screaming at the thought so then again...)
    If we both end up at Castle (AKA, offers/grades permitting not tempting fate etc.) we should share xD Colleges don't matter that much anyway, I doubt anyone will go "Oh, you go to X? I'm not speaking to you" :p: Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agneisse)
    If we both end up at Castle (AKA, offers/grades permitting not tempting fate etc.) we should share xD Colleges don't matter that much anyway, I doubt anyone will go "Oh, you go to X? I'm not speaking to you" :p: Good luck!
    He he that'd be good! thanks

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.