The Student Room Group

Chemistry BSC at University

Is doing only chemistry at university worth it to become a cosmetic chemist/scientist/formulator?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cat_12280
Is doing only chemistry at university worth it to become a cosmetic chemist/scientist/formulator?

As it’s a very employable degree, you definitely could end up in such a career.

My advice is consider how much you enjoy chemistry and whether you feel you could actually study it at uni. If you love chemistry and think you can do it, then maybe it is worth doing.
Reply 2
Original post by TypicalNerd
As it’s a very employable degree, you definitely could end up in such a career.

My advice is consider how much you enjoy chemistry and whether you feel you could actually study it at uni. If you love chemistry and think you can do it, then maybe it is worth doing.

Thanks I don't really like chemistry but you need it to become a chemist ;(

If you don’t really like chemistry, I doubt you will thrive in a chemistry degree. Why are you considering the degree?
Reply 4
Original post by 5hyl33n
If you don’t really like chemistry, I doubt you will thrive in a chemistry degree. Why are you considering the degree?

I want to become a cosmetic chemist which I like and I found out that you need to have a chemistry degree to be one which I don't like.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 5
I want to become a cosmetic chemist which I like and I found out that you need to have a chemistry degree to be one.

Original post by 5hyl33n

It's either I do a chem degree or go to a uni which offers a cosmetic science degree but it is really far from London
I want to become a cosmetic chemist which I like and I found out that you need to have a chemistry degree to be one.

Yes, you do. Either that or chemical engineering, biology, microbiology or pharmaceutical science. However, chemistry or chemical engineering are probably the best options due to the following:

https://www.indeed.com/career-advice/finding-a-job/how-to-become-cosmetic-chemist

Also known as a cosmetic scientist and makeup chemist, a cosmetic chemist develops formulas to create makeup and toiletry products. Chemists work in laboratories, where the product creation takes place, and factories, where they supervise the manufacturing process.

As you can gather from the description, there will be a heavy emphasis on chemistry (especially organic and inorganic chemistry).

What are you studying right now?
Reply 7
Thanks for replying! Im still doing GCSES :frown: but I was researching this as I'm picking my a level subjects in school right now
Thanks for replying! Im still doing GCSES :frown: but I was researching this as I'm picking my a level subjects in school right now

In that case, you are thinking about the wrong stuff. You need to focus on your GCSE’s. Your future career is ‘ages’ away.

For now, pick the A-Levels you are most interested in. When Results Day comes, you can change your options depending on your results. This will also give you more time during the Summer to think about potential careers.
(edited 1 year ago)

Then you still have time to think things through.

Heck, you may start to really enjoy chemistry during your A level years, assuming you take it.

But alas, you need to prioritise your GCSE’s before thinking about what uni you want to go to.
Original post by TypicalNerd
Then you still have time to think things through.

Heck, you may start to really enjoy chemistry during your A level years, assuming you take it.

But alas, you need to prioritise your GCSE’s before thinking about what uni you want to go to.

thanks
Original post by 5hyl33n
In that case, you are thinking about the wrong stuff. You need to focus on your GCSE’s. Your future career is ‘ages’ away.

For now, pick the A-Levels you are most interested in. When Results Day comes, you can change your options depending on your results. This will also give you more time during the Summer to think about potential careers.

Thank youu

I was in a similar position to you, except I wanted to do medicine, I didn’t really like it at gcse but now I’m in year 13 and chemistry is my favourite subject and I’m going to study chemistry/medicinal chemistry at university next year. It is really different to gcse and imo a lot better

If you don't like chemistry, why do you want to become a chemist? You'd be doing exactly what you don't like for a job. There is no logic in that decision.
Original post by artful_lounger
If you don't like chemistry, why do you want to become a chemist? You'd be doing exactly what you don't like for a job. There is no logic in that decision.

hello, the thing is i dont like the theory and all that but I like the cosmetic industry and the stuff about that
Original post by aj_11_04
I was in a similar position to you, except I wanted to do medicine, I didn’t really like it at gcse but now I’m in year 13 and chemistry is my favourite subject and I’m going to study chemistry/medicinal chemistry at university next year. It is really different to gcse and imo a lot better

ooohh that's nice. Good luck!
hello, the thing is i dont like the theory and all that but I like the cosmetic industry and the stuff about that

As above, I don't really understand your logic. You may like the cosmetic industry in term of the aesthetics and whatnot but if you're a cosmetic chemist your actual job will involve you dealing with chemistry every single day, both theory and practical. That doesn't sound ideal for someone who says they don't like chemistry...

As noted, it doesn't make sense since to work in the cosmetic industry as a chemist you will still be using that theory day in and day out. There are plenty of other roles within that sector (particularly on the business side) which do not require or involve chemistry (and in fact would accept graduates of any degree subject). You may want to consider those instead?

Chemistry at university allows you to build a wide range of core skills within the field, but also it is a highly well-regarded degree for employers. At the University of Nottingham, there are several different courses within the chemistry school (medicinal and biological chemistry, sustainable chemistry etc) which allow you to choose the degree best for you. I'd say that either Chemistry or Pharmacy would be the best courses for you if you'd like to go into the cosmetic chemist/scientist/formulator profession. Hope this helps!

Quick Reply