Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

DSLR Camera for under £300 watch

I want to move from my rather simple Olympus camera up to a decent DSLR. I love photography and I need something that produces good results as well as being hardy since I'm a bit of a clutz.

Obviously the Canond EOS40D is the benchmark but that is very expensive so is there anything comparable for between £250 and £350?

ReputationRep:
    400D? They are under 400GBP now I think...

ReputationRep:
    I'd get a Canon 350D (Rebel XT) and put the left over cash towards lenses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norfolkadam)
    Obviously the Canond EOS40D is the benchmark but that is very expensive so is there anything comparable for between £250 and £350?
    The 40D is hardly a benchmark, but for that kind of money you can choose between the Nikon D60 or Canon 400d, Which are both excellent cameras, just depends if you prefer the Nikon or Canon system.

ReputationRep:
    400d can be easily had second hand for that price, got mine 6 months ago for that I believe.

edit: just checked receipt, hardly used 400d with bag, extreme3 cards and complete kit for £290 roughly 6 months ago, just as the 450 was coming out. Should be able to pick up a bargain

Later purchased a battery grip, 50mm f1.8, uv filters and CP filters for both lenses, some more cards and still have change from £400

(Original post by Steeps)
    400d can be easily had second hand for that price, got mine 6 months ago for that I believe.

edit: just checked receipt, hardly used 400d with bag, extreme3 cards and complete kit for £290 roughly 6 months ago, just as the 450 was coming out. Should be able to pick up a bargain

Later purchased a battery grip, 50mm f1.8, uv filters and CP filters for both lenses, some more cards and still have change from £400
    You've made me a very happy man. I'm not really looking to buy now but I will be in June next year. Hopefuly I can get an even better deal then.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/digit...tery-grip.html

Second 400d for £270
    I was lucky and managed to get a brand new 400d with kit lens for £300 about 2 months ago. Try a local camera shop and they might have some left.

new canon 1000d with I.S. kit lens is around £300 but I think the 400d is better overall.

nikon, olympus and sony have slrs around £300 but you have to take into account if your upgrade then will you be able to use lenses you've bought, etc.

ReputationRep:
    I was looking at digital cameras a while back and found a store called Canon Outlet on ebay which looks quite promising. They sell factory reconditioned equipment with full warranty - I think I may have bought my printer from them and no problems at all with it, looks brand new.

ReputationRep:
    Ive got a Sony alpha A200, and i love it! It feels nice in the hand, and its cheaper than anything on the market!
    The results are amazing as well, sharp, crisp photos, and the kit lens is decent with good out of the box results.
    I got the camera, lens, bag and 2GB card for £280.
    Bargain!

ReputationRep:
    If you can find an Olympus E420 then you're on to a winner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CurlyBen)
    I was looking at digital cameras a while back and found a store called Canon Outlet on ebay which looks quite promising. They sell factory reconditioned equipment with full warranty - I think I may have bought my printer from them and no problems at all with it, looks brand new.
    They are good, I was going to buy from them but then decided to get a D40 instead which I love

ReputationRep:
    Had to pick up on this! Benchmark according to what!? :p: If you want 'benchmark' go pick up a 5D MkII or a Hassy or something...

I'd also think carefully about where you want to go with your lenses. What do you want to shoot sport, landscapes, portraits? Once you buy a DSLR, you're tied in to a system. I went for the Pentax K20D, simply because they make outstanding glass... I can't get enough of my 77mm Ltd... *drool*

ReputationRep:
    Nikon D40 w/ kit lens you can get for under £250 new,

I got a used Canon 350D w/ kit lens, tripod, bag, CF card for £225 off ebay!
    Used, but in near perfect conidition, I might add!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGimpMan)
    Nikon D40 w/ kit lens you can get for under £250 new,
    £225 on Amazon UK as I type this.

ReputationRep:
    go to ebay and u can get canon 400d from canon outlet for £250-£275 with 1year warranty

ReputationRep:
    Canon 1000d, Nikon D40. Argos actually have some cheap price cuts right now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DTR)
    Canon 1000d, Nikon D40. Argos actually have some cheap price cuts right now.
    The Canon 1000D recommendation is a good one - you get an awful lot of camera for only a little more than the £300. There is also a £50 rebate on the camera at the moment I believe. Although, you will want to buy it with a view to upgrading the kit lens in the future...

ReputationRep:
    Nikon d40, and you can buy nikon d70 from hands for 300 gbp

ReputationRep:
    nikon d40 in jessops is £275 with bag, uv lens and 2gb memory card. I'm getting it for Christmas

ReputationRep:
    Nikon!

/unhelpful post.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 26, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.