Turn on thread page Beta

DSLR Camera for under £300 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris the Mathematician!)
    Ive got a Sony alpha A200, and i love it! It feels nice in the hand, and its cheaper than anything on the market!
    The results are amazing as well, sharp, crisp photos, and the kit lens is decent with good out of the box results.
    I got the camera, lens, bag and 2GB card for £280.
    Bargain!
    This! My dad's D40 feels like a toy compared with my a200.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happy-and-lost)
    This! My dad's D40 feels like a toy compared with my a200.
    Hehe!
    Someone who agrees, at last!

I love the a200, its solid, and it works, flawlessly...
    Feels like more than a <£300 camera.

ReputationRep:
    Quick thread hijack here, if no-one minds...
    I'm getting a D-SLR for Christmas. My mum reckons I should look at the Canon eos 450d, but I've heard a lot of stuff about how slow the autofocus is, and also the speed of capture time on advanced DRO for the Sony a200 (her other suggestion) - true/false?
    Thanks (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tashhh)
    Quick thread hijack here, if no-one minds...
    I'm getting a D-SLR for Christmas. My mum reckons I should look at the Canon eos 450d, but I've heard a lot of stuff about how slow the autofocus is, and also the speed of capture time on advanced DRO for the Sony a200 (her other suggestion) - true/false?
    Thanks (:
    The 450d is the daddy of its class, but I still didn't buy one haha.

Look at the Olympus E-520 :p:

ReputationRep:
    Nikon D40 at Dixons £213.84inc delivery using discount code VAT3 or Amazon.co.uk for £215...

I've decided i'm getting a D90 in the new year

Also regarding D40 feeling like a toy, Nikon is top quality with better handling. Canon feels cheaper in same range and kit lens isn't as good.
    I wouldn't go for Sony personally but it's upto you.

ReputationRep:
    I've just ordered a Canon EOS 1000D (mentioned previously) from Jessops, £320-odd, with a current £30 cashback, with accessories and 3-year warranty it's £400 dead-on. Not too bad, looking forward to getting it soon.

ReputationRep:
    I know this is a little late but I managed to pick up an Olympus E410 with two lenses (14-42mm and 40-150mm) for £170 (new) yesterday. Not had much chance to play with it yet but I like it so far!
    Oh and also picked up a Sandisk Extreme IV 4gb card in China for £10.. not entirely convinced it's genuine but still not a bad price for a 4gb card.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CurlyBen)
    I know this is a little late but I managed to pick up an Olympus E410 with two lenses (14-42mm and 40-150mm) for £170 (new) yesterday. Not had much chance to play with it yet but I like it so far!
    Oh and also picked up a Sandisk Extreme IV 4gb card in China for £10.. not entirely convinced it's genuine but still not a bad price for a 4gb card.
    OMG where from? Was it a pc world because I've been trying to find one with stock but it's impossible! Any info would be appreciated

Edit - it's the camera i'm talking about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twinkle06)
    OMG where from? Was it a pc world because I've been trying to find one with stock but it's impossible! Any info would be appreciated

Edit - it's the camera i'm talking about
    PC World and Currys.. slightly complicated way involving 5 stores! I had the same problem trying to track one down in PC World as you, though one branch near me had one on their system but couldn't find it, however they showed me the stock computer and so I drove to a Currys store 25 miles away without realising that they were selling it for £290. I came back and went to another Currys to try and get them to price match the store which couldn't find the camera, but they said they'd been told not to price match that deal. However, the guy in Currys was really helpful and told me that if I went down the road to PC World they could sell me one of the cameras in Currys, and I could then go back to Currys and pick it up. Took a while but eventually I got it for £170!

ReputationRep:
    Omfg I'd kill to get that camera for £170.

I can't find an online store shipping to Denmark that has decent (~£250) for kits, either D40, 1000D, E-420 or A200. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris the Mathematician!)
    Hehe!
    Someone who agrees, at last!

I love the a200, its solid, and it works, flawlessly...
    Feels like more than a <£300 camera.
    Sony A-200 FTW!

Image stabilisation in the body, the pretty essential lens motor again in the body (does your D40/60 have that?), the minolta beercan. Oh I love my Sony

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DTR)
    Nikon D40 at Dixons £213.84inc delivery using discount code VAT3 or Amazon.co.uk for £215...

I've decided i'm getting a D90 in the new year

Also regarding D40 feeling like a toy, Nikon is top quality with better handling. Canon feels cheaper in same range and kit lens isn't as good.
    I wouldn't go for Sony personally but it's upto you.
    I smell nikonian blood

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by get_more)
    I smell nikonian blood

Good luck finding lenses which will actually focus for your D40! Some extremely clever person took the decision to remove the focus motor from the body :confused: , so now, only expensive lenses work. However I, with my A200, have the option of using not only every Sony lens made, but also Carl Zeiss lenses and about 20 years worth of Minolta AF lenses.

Oh, and they all have image stabilisation working with them too, due to the fact it's in the body and not lens specific.

Guess who make the sensors for most of your Nikons, that's right, SONY

I have a Sony if you can't tell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scott202)
    Good luck finding lenses which will actually focus for your D40! Some extremely clever person took the decision to remove the focus motor from the body :confused: , so now, only expensive lenses work. However I, with my A200, have the option of using not only every Sony lens made, but also Carl Zeiss lenses and about 20 years worth of Minolta AF lenses.

Oh, and they all have image stabilisation working with them too, due to the fact it's in the body and not lens specific.

Guess who make the sensors for most of your Nikons, that's right, SONY

I have a Sony if you can't tell
    Yawn.

Pretty much all new Nikon lenses are AF-S (will auto-focus on the D40). Whilst the older lenses that don't are quality glass you can get some basic stuff for a more than reasonable price.

Sony make top notch sensors yep I'll agree with you. That's why Nikon is using them in their top notch cameras.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inferiormadbeing)
    Yawn.

Pretty much all new Nikon lenses are AF-S (will auto-focus on the D40). Whilst the older lenses that don't are quality glass you can get some basic stuff for a more than reasonable price.

Sony make top notch sensors yep I'll agree with you. That's why Nikon is using them in their top notch cameras.

Good work fellow Nikonian haha. For my D40 I bought the Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 HSM macro which AF's fine and it's an excellent lens. Not far off Nikons own 17-50mm f2.8 which costs 4x the price.
    All Nikons new lenses are af-s now and are better lenses because of it. There's literally no focal length that isn't covered that won't AF with D40.

I'm now using a D90 anyway and have to say my D40 feels like a bit of a toy in comparison hehe, but it still produces quality images at an excellent price.

As for brands other than Canon & Nikon I don't really know too much about them or what lenses they can use. I do know that Nikon n Canons own lenses nearly always come up trumps though not to mention CLS lighting etc on Nikon which is a godsend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DTR)
    Good work fellow Nikonian haha. For my D40 I bought the Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 HSM macro which AF's fine and it's an excellent lens. Not far off Nikons own 17-50mm f2.8 which costs 4x the price.
    All Nikons new lenses are af-s now and are better lenses because of it. There's literally no focal length that isn't covered that won't AF with D40.

I'm now using a D90 anyway and have to say my D40 feels like a bit of a toy in comparison hehe, but it still produces quality images at an excellent price.

As for brands other than Canon & Nikon I don't really know too much about them or what lenses they can use. I do know that Nikon n Canons own lenses nearly always come up trumps though not to mention CLS lighting etc on Nikon which is a godsend.
    :five:

Yeah my D40 looks and feels very small compared to my D300. However its still a cracking camera!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DTR)
    I agree that the CLS lighting system is fantastic, even from my limited use. Nikon gets a massive thumbs up there. However, don't be afraid to branch out in to other brands OP. The Pentax Limited series of lenses are truly incredible (some tests I've seen point to better quality than some Canon 'L' glass), not only on looks and size, but IQ is outstanding. Plus the Pentax K20D body is a steal for the price (ie. a prosumer camera at a consumer price). Have a look around, Canon and Nikon aren't the only brands out there.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 26, 2009
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.